Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
1/28 - 1/30 Storm Thread II

burgertime

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ocean does help warm things quite a bit- checked the buoy in front of my house (OCP1, about a 1/2 mi offshore), and the water temp is in the upper 40's. Wind will be coming out of the NE, which may entrain some slightly warmer air in. I looked at wunderground Thursday night, and while it was 9 F at St. James Plantation (across the intercoastal), it was 24 F out on the buoy- they are only 2-2.5 miles apart as the crow flies

so fayetteville has a 75 percent chance of a foot of snow... geeze.

In your area, I am becoming bullish seeing the trends that the baja piece of energy could phase into your system. Even the least frequented posters know a phase means this thing is coming more north and west. I think by game time, RaleighWx and back toward you could really be in business for a significant event. 

SREF 24 hour mean precip through 1pm Wednesday

Wow Allan... I think we have a verified trend here.  This is getting very interesting.  Very closely resembles the 18z GFS and GEFS.

There must've been some key recon data ingested into the 18z model suites to get this kind of movement within this time frame.

Loving the SREF as it gives the Atlanta metro between .5 - .75". These 0z runs of the NAM, GFS, and Euro are quite possibly the most important since the 2010-2011 winter for a lot of us on here. Will the wetter look continue to show up? Looking forward to the play by play!! 

I'd also like to say a big thank you to all of the dedicated mets and members that have made this thread awesome! Keep the mojo coming!

Can someone please answer this for me. Is the trend moving the low north and west or just expanding the precipitation field? Asking because I know a shift of the low could cause temps to warm.

Our Baja shortwave is trending stronger and there is at least a partial phase with the polar s/w...that's allowing the precip to expand in coverage but it is also resulting in some warmer mid level to be drawn in...

That's going to prove to be a problem for areas of lower South Carolina and Georgia because the surface cold will remain. Ice threat is really increasing for the areas east of I-95.

00z NAM already looks further west with that northern energy and a tad slower. Southern energy looks about the same. 

NAM has been leading the way with the southern wave.  Getting that polar energy to slow and hold back more is the key here. A delicate dance it's been for the past few days.  I think we're finally reeling it in, my friend.

SREF 24 hour mean precip through 1pm Wednesday

are we all just having the same hallucination at the same time? lol the .50" mark is now well into n and ne ga and .75 to the atl/athens corridor.  if we are seeing the models finally converge on an at least similar solution, and its something like this the SE will be going bonkers through midweek lol

I'm speechless at this point in time.  Everything slowly trended further west with the mean upper trough and finally it may have been enough to share the love.  Excited and anxious as I was ready to throw in the towel for far north GA...especially MBY.  

I feel you! I'm cautiously optimistic, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high until the NAM comes on board with the GFS and then we see some consistency between them both!

Archived