CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 18-19th "Threat"

jamesnichols1989

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dunno... it is just a thread... if not interested, let it lie. 

Exactly. I wouldn't condone starting a thread more than 5 days out for any threat, however, if people want to talk at length about a particular threat inside of 5 days, starting a new thread is preferable to cluttering up older threads that are more general...like the pattern thread.

If people don't want to post in them, then do not post. I had zero interest in yesterday's rain event. People can click to see how many posts I had in that thread.....to save them time, it was exactly zero posts. I made the decision not to post in there because I wasn't interested.

Exactly. I wouldn't condone starting a thread more than 5 days out for any threat, however, if people want to talk at length about a particular threat inside of 5 days, starting a new thread is preferable to cluttering up older threads that are more general...like the pattern thread.

If people don't want to post in them, then do not post. I had zero interest in yesterday's rain event. People can click to see how many posts I had in that thread.....to save them time, it was exactly zero posts. I made the decision not to post in there because I wasn't interested.

Might be the first pinned winter thread you never posted in. a board record

If there were a little better wave spacing we could probably get something out of this period.  That shortwave that is forecast to sweep through the midwest into the ohio valley on Sat has looked pretty potent on the guidance.  If the high amplitude trof preceding it on Fri were a little faster/weaker we might have room to spin something up.  But even this followup wave has another potent wave right on its heels.  The GEFs continue to look unencouraging, offering only weak teasers. 

Agreed, there shouldnt be a thread nazi....

This and other annoyances people detect are actually all caused by the same neurotic compulsion regarding winter-or-bust.

This is a winter forum by majority.  There just isn't enough contributors here that are equally interested/compassionate about the entire scope of Meteorology;  much less ... "Meteorology" and "Weather" are two different things (most presently, we are talking about Weather-oriented people)

So there are multiple psychologies making up the aggregate, but the point was going to be ... there are those who (for whatever reason) are compelled to feeling elated, or resentful and disappointed, based upon the vagaries of the weather.  A couple of active model runs, and the pendulum of tone swings toward the best of friend side;  models pull the plug, perhaps unexpectedly (or in face of inappropriate elation, such that is/was) and the pendulum swings on back into resent side.  Then the user can't really blame anything or anyone (other than themselves...of course), so they instead erode the value of threads and question purpose and all that bs...

It's all part of the life of it... I just wonder there is any of this kind of crap going on in fashion forums, or political forums, or geology forums, or if it is just something endemic to weather.  Hm. 

Snow on this board is like any sports team that you root for. The reactions are very similar to cheering for your favorite team (say like a Red Sox forum)....you have hopes going into each season. Sometimes the team shows up to play, sometimes they don't. You have great stretches of play amid a horrible season, or vice versa.

If a team is having a rough year, the posters are all disappointed and taking toaster baths...if the team is on pace to 90 wins, everyone is happy and elated.

Snow is exactly the same on this board. Tip, any forum where people have a vested interest in something (especially one they can't control but root for anyway, ie sports), there will be those reactions depending on outcomes.

I think we all like weather, but snow is what we do best. If there is a land falling TC or big tornado outbreak I will visit the other subforums, but lets face it...winter wx is where we best have the ability to do well. Severe naso much.

It's funny ... I was just talking to a Met buddy last night who said he was crossing the parking lot at a mall the other day, when we were balmy, breezy, raining with thunder in the area, when all at once their was a vivid flash and cacophonic blast of thunder, followed immediately by a ferocious wind gust that drove rain sideways.   He said it was the best thunderstorm experience he's had in over two years ... in January no less. 

'Course, I think back to the March Mohawk Trail supercell from earlier last year, that brought inch diameter hail and over-lapping lightning down Rt 2..   Weird. 

It's funny ... I was just talking to a Met buddy last night who said he was crossing the parking lot at a mall the other day, when we were balmy, breezy, raining with thunder in the area, when all at once their was a vivid flash and cacophonic blast of thunder, followed immediately by a ferocious wind gust that drove rain sideways.   He said it was the best thunderstorm experience he's had in over two years ... in January no less. 

'Course, I think back to the March Mohawk Trail supercell from earlier last year, that brought inch diameter hail and over-lapping lightning down Rt 2..   Weird. 

Harv?

Snow on this board is like any sports team that you root for. The reactions are very similar to cheering for your favorite team (say like a Red Sox forum)....you have hopes going into each season. Sometimes the team shows up to play, sometimes they don't. You have great stretches of play amid a horrible season, or vice versa.

If a team is having a rough year, the posters are all disappointed and taking toaster baths...if the team is on pace to 90 wins, everyone is happy and elated.

Snow is exactly the same on this board. Tip, any forum where people have a vested interest in something (especially one they can't control but root for anyway, ie sports), there will be those reactions depending on outcomes.

Okay... no argument here.  I'm just offering a plausible explanation as to why their are "nazi" posters -- and I think we would find that the frequency of that type of posting, and it's interpretation as being what it is, is definitely higher when there is a wasted big +PNA and wave interference - haha!     :lol:

I will say ... purely in the spirit of commiseration only:  I do think you are getting boned if you are a winter weather enthusiast.  Yeah, above average snow fall abounds (to date..) and sure, it's probably a reasonable rationalization that one should not complain... But relative to potential ?   Man, this is really being wasted.   Heh, a football analogy would be having a team on paper that is more talented than any in history, yet they some how manage to cough up a .500 season and get bumped from a playoff bid...   

If we were to get a larger type storm in this pattern (at least initially), it will be in the form of a clipper amplifying into a Miller B.

Perhaps later on near the very end of the month, we could see a better chance at a larger scale system out of the plains as the PNA ridge relaxes just a bit.

But those steep amplifying PNA ridges are what you look for when you are trying to get a Manitoba Mauler type Miller B.

Yeah it's not unreasonable to start a thread when the thread clearly states the word "threat"

I suppose that makes sense.

Although, in the end it becomes another thread full of banter, especially if it turns out to be a non-event the closer it gets.   Then we go back into that cycle of...Those annoying SNE folks ruining threads with their useless banter, etc., etc.  You know, the same old tired complaints that eventually work their way back into the system.

If we were to get a larger type storm in this pattern (at least initially), it will be in the form of a clipper amplifying into a Miller B.

Perhaps later on near the very end of the month, we could see a better chance at a larger scale system out of the plains as the PNA ridge relaxes just a bit.

But those steep amplifying PNA ridges are what you look for when you are trying to get a Manitoba Mauler type Miller B.

I agree Will, and I think the pattern gets better on Sunday.

I think this ends up further west than modeled currently, 18z NAM came further west.

May be enough to give you something of potential wintery appeal to track but todays models have left you as one of the few posters who will be in this thread tomorrow.  I hope it comes back enough to give the CC weenies something more than mood flakes (or rain drops)

I think we will be looking back in April and realize what weenies many of us (me included) have been...

Hopefully looking out at still massive piles of snow

(or rain, or downed branches, or 80F Morch, or whatever you like)

If this happens I think Ekster and I will be trying to insert our pitching wedges into the nearest electrical outlet.

If this happens I think Ekster and I will be trying to insert our pitching wedges into the nearest electrical outlet.

And I would suck on my snowmobile's exhaust pipe. It would be the ultimate kick in the nuts to have such an awful snowmobile season followed up by a late, crappy start to golf season.

I think we all like weather, but snow is what we do best. If there is a land falling TC or big tornado outbreak I will visit the other subforums, but lets face it...winter wx is where we best have the ability to do well. Severe naso much.

sandy was more interesting to me than any blizzard. even boxing day

sandy was more interesting to me than any blizzard. even boxing day

It was pretty uninspiring in New England outside of the south coast west of Newport, RI or so. Would have been a different story if it took the left turn 100-200 miles later.

Archived