• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January 18-19th "Threat"

jamesnichols1989

Happy hour GFS not biting this run. Wide right.

Two days ago that meant two for one rum runners, now it's a series of Scott Norwoods. At least I can manage the transition from STT to PWM a little better with these temps.

I'm definitely in favor of using this phrase for the 18z GFS more often.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS is wayy too progressive in this pattern, not accounting for a +PNA ridge in place.  I would side with the foreign models right now which have a better handle on this situation at h5.  GFS is too progressive in my opinion, again in my opinion.

Wrong James. It's a progressive pattern and every met onthe bb knows it. Atlantic with no blocking,

The GGEM looks similar to the GFS.  Nothing doing through day 6.  If this holds, it's a good job by the GEFS... it never bit on any of the threats.  Plenty of times it overemphasizes threats in the 3-5 day range... but not this time.  This period could end up being another knock against the Euro... but we'll have to wait and see how Sat-Mon plays out.

Yes it is, but still not much. It does maybe have an inch of snow or so for E MA. (0.1-0.2" of precip)

I'm seeing a tenth or less.  And the 84hr color 500mb chart on Environment Canada looks more threatening than it is because the vorticity coloring gets visually intertwined with the height lines.  I still prefer the old black and white maps.

But yeah I agree it's still more threatening than the GFS.  And slower.

I'm seeing a tenth or less.  And the 84hr color 500mb chart on Environment Canada looks more threatening than it is because the vorticity coloring gets visually intertwined with the height lines.  I still prefer the old black and white maps.

http://weather.gc.ca/data/model_forecast/134_100.gif

WSI maps have about 0.15" for BOS between 84 and 96 hours.

I think we are bottoming out here.  A depressing overnight suite.  HPC says seasonably cold and dry unless the northern stream amplifies, due to low pressure at the pole.  I remember a period like this just before our active 1st week of January.  It looked storm free and then suddenly we had the rain south, paste north storm of the 29th and the subsequent large storm on the 2nd.  Those weren't signalled 6-7 days ahead I don't think.  So we may have a crappy 5-7 days, or we might find something pops up later today or overnight on the guidance.

The chances for this to be anything more than a sunblocker that generates a few fuzzy or wet pixels are diminishing.  The Euro, the only model that develop a low (even had it negatively tilted at one point, painting NH and Maine with 0.25 to 0.50 inches of precip) along the coast, is now showing an open wave.

In years past, many would have called out the GFS for caving to the Euro solution.  It doesn't seem to be the case at this year.

Although, I would not rule out some -SN in parts of New England as this develops and a possile hang back trough develops.

Exactly Scott, I think you have it right.  The real action starts after the weekend.  We had a shot on the weekend but that doesn't look so good now (however it might come back some, as they often do) but the real action was due to start after the weekend and last for at least a week, probably more.  GYX has it right I think.  My buddies over at HPC as well.

There are those that think every threat is going to materialize.  Now they've been given the green light to start threads for every day 7-10 storm on a model.  Failing miserably.

What is the solution to this? 

To be honest I don't think us common folk should be allowed to start forecast threads like this.  Observation threads are another story. 

Archived