joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big Snow Threat Disco Jan2/3

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something like that. BTV is thinking 20-25:1 is plausible in my area and with the forecast temps I can't really disupute that. However I am not going with anywhere near 40" LOL.

The storm several weeks ago that produced widespread 8-12 inches was forecast early on to have the same ratios, only to come down to 10-12:1 after the event concluded.  I suspect this will come down too, but where it ends up, I don't have the skill to say.

Kind of a spurious double sfc low there. That is a pretty potent vort diving into and rounding that MS vly trough. I'd expect a more consolidated low in the SE. Looks like a bit of convective feedback to me.

Yeah a weird evolution.... but it looks good aloft. Definite changes toward a bigger event it seems.

Hype sells, but if it's not backed up, it's just an empty shell.  Do it enough times, the buzz, the excitement goes away and folks shrug their shoulders and shake their heads.  And long for something real and solid to hold.

I don't understand why folks can't understand that.. Noone is saying that amount will happen..but it creates a buzz, excitement, and gets people tuned in. It's about ratings and getting people excited..It's been going on since the beginning of time..in every aspect of life.  You just have to be able to walk the line..

Convective feedback again by the GFS off the Carolinas, its tended to do this alot the last 2 winters with those double low centers, I can't really say without it whether the solution would have been any better, it may just have been 1 big suppressed low

I definitely think it would have been better.

Convective feedback again by the GFS off the Carolinas, its tended to do this alot the last 2 winters with those double low centers, I can't really say without it whether the solution would have been any better, it may just have been 1 big suppressed low

It'll be interesting to see what the GEFS do. That will shed a lot of light I think. 

i don't know if its right or wrong...i'm not smart enough to know...but not sure that i'd necessarily call it feedback. as dendrite noted, the SE is under the RRQ of the upper air jet...so any little kink in the flow coming out ahead of the main vortmax will try to induce surface cyclogenesis out there. GFS may be overdoing the small pockets of energy in the trough, leading to too much lead pressure falls out there, may not be. tough to say. it did move toward the euro over the plains. not all the way there but made some steps. 

Archived