joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Big Snow Threat Disco Jan2/3

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really?  Why?  Better banding/avoiding a dry slot?

Down 5* since 7:00a.m.

The storm is tilted with a very wide circulation in the mid-levels.

Hugging the sfc track rules don't apply very well in this system. It's why the the sfc low on the 06z GFS is way outside the BM but yet a lot of SNE gets warning criteria snow.

The storm is tilted with a very wide circulation in the mid-levels.

Hugging the sfc track rules don't apply very well in this system. It's why the the sfc low on the 06z GFS is way outside the BM but yet a lot of SNE gets warning criteria snow.

It's funny how so many seem to be focusing on the SLP track. In this case it's irrelevant. Most of the precip is from overrunning

It's funny how so many seem to be focusing on the SLP track. In this case it's irrelevant. Most of the precip is from overrunning

Yeah well at least a chunk of it early on is...I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "most" of the precip is overrunning. We turn the flow easterly and get a some actual conveyorbelt going in most solutions when the secondayr begins to intenfisy.

But the point does still stand that people shouldn't focus so much on the slp track and printed QPF in pretty colors....focus on the mechanisms in this thing as its complex. Its like the 12/14 event when people were getting so worked up over the QPF and everyone got hit pretty good.

Yeah well at least a chunk of it early on is...I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "most" of the precip is overrunning. We turn the flow easterly and get a some actual conveyorbelt going in most solutions when the secondayr begins to intenfisy.

The 2nd half of the storm is where it becomes more important for the SLP queens..Hopefully it's a 36-48 hour long duration event where it doesn't all pound down in 4 hours

Really? Why? Better banding/avoiding a dry slot?

Down 5* since 7:00a.m.

Pretty much. It's a huge circulation. Can't stress that enough. I'm not saying this because it's better for MBY, but if I had to guess, the GFS is too far southeast and euro op too far NW. I still can't rule out either one, but just my gut. Part of me ultimately thinks something inside the benchmark, but the GEFS so far SE gives me a slight pause....although we've seen this movie before.

Yesterday the HPC (NPC now?) was concerned about data assimilation for the N stream. Is that good to go now?

...SHORTWAVE DIGGING IN THE CENTRAL U.S. ON DAY 3......SURFACE LOW MOVING INTO THE OHIO VALLEY...PREFERENCE: 12Z ECMWFCONFIDENCE: SLIGHTLY BELOW AVERAGEDATING BACK TO THE 28/00Z MODEL CYCLE TRENDS IN THE ENSEMBLE MEANSARE RATHER WELL DEFINED...BUT THE SPREAD AMONG OPERATIONALSOLUTIONS HAS INCREASED WITH RESPECT TO LOW PRESSURE IN THE OHIOVALLEY ON DAY 3...PASSING OFF TO A POTENTIALLY STRONG ATLANTICCOASTAL LOW ON DAY 4...DISCUSSED BY THE WPC MEDIUM RANGE DESK.LOOKING AT FORECASTS VERIFYING 02/12Z...THE GEFS MEAN AND ECMWFENSEMBLE MEAN HAVE TRENDED TOWARD GREATER AMPLIFICATION OFSHORTWAVE ENERGY DIGGING INTO THE CENTRAL U.S...AND TOWARD GREATERDEFINITION OF LOW PRESSURE DEVELOPING TOWARD THE OHIO VALLEY BY02/12Z. MODEL CYCLES BETWEEN 29/00Z AND THE CURRENT 30/00Z CYCLEFEATURED STEADY PERFORMANCE FROM THE MEANS...AND THE OPERATIONALGFS/ECMWF GENERALLY BECAME BETTER DEFINED WITH THE SURFACE LOW.THE 00Z ECMWF...HOWEVER...ADDED TO THE SPREAD BY INDICATING ASUBSTANTIALLY SHARPER UPPER WAVE DIGGING INTO THE SOUTHERNPLAINS...AND SUBSEQUENT DELAY IN THE SURFACE LOW GETTING UP INTOTHE OHIO VALLEY. THIS IS ENTIRELY REASONABLE...AND THE GFSCERTAINLY HAS A TENDENCY TO BE TOO PROGRESSIVE...BUT WE ALSO NOTETHAT IN RECENT DAYS THE OPERATIONAL ECMWF HAS TENDED TO ERR ON THEDEEP/AMPLIFIED SIDE...WITH THE ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEAN SOMETIMESPERFORMING BETTER THAN THE OPERATIONAL. THE 00Z UKMET SUPPORTS THEECMWF...BUT PERHAPS FOR THE WRONG REASONS...AS THE UKMET HAS NOTDONE WELL WITH THE UPSTREAM RIDGE ALONG THE WEST COAST. GIVEN THEINCREASING UNCERTAINTY...WE RECOMMEND A CONSERVATIVEAPPROACH...STICKING WITH OUR PREVIOUS PREFERENCE OF THE 12Z ECMWFAND WPC MEDIUM RANGE GUIDANCE AS THIS POTENTIALLY STRONG WEATHERSYSTEM STRADDLES DAYS 3 AND 4.

Pretty much. It's a huge circulation. Can't stress that enough. I'm not saying this because it's better for MBY, but if I had to guess, the GFS is too far southeast and euro op too far NW. I still can't rule out either one, but just my gut. Part of me ultimately thinks something inside the benchmark, but the GEFS so far SE gives me a slight pause....although we've seen this movie before.

Other then possibly this system BM or outside tracks don't usually bode well up here for most of NNE unless the low tracks in the bay of fundy or over southern novie, This one looks not to be the case as there is a lot of over running moisture involved

Other then possibly this system BM or outside tracks don't usually bode well up here for most of NNE unless the low tracks in the bay of fundy or over southern novie, This one looks not to be the case as there is a lot of over running moisture involved

Yeah and even the H7 circulation becomes so huge...typical rules do not apply. It's about as uniform as you'll ever see regarding precip distribution.

Yeah and even the H7 circulation becomes so huge...typical rules do not apply. It's about as uniform as you'll ever see regarding precip distribution.

Looks like the H7 low is west of us then closes off right on top of us on the Euro. Wouldn't that indicate dryslot problems?

I think the euro op was too amped up, however that was also a better look than the messy 12z run which I did not like. For you guys you probably want that to deepen more further south.

Looking at the 54 hour NAM compared to its 06z run really opened my eyes to the variance possible with each operational solution. People are going to drive themselves crazy the next few days if they don't use the ensemble guidance to get a better idea as to what is going on. 

Any time I see the Euro jump like that, I think it may be having a burp run. Especially recently when it has been prone to it -- over the past few months. So I really would like to see it hold a similar solution at 12z before we even start talking about this storm going down that path. 

Archived