Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its Quincy's map and the colder runs this afternoon certainly lean Twds it

I got your local station (WTIC) on my car radio as I was picking up pizza.  Bob Cox was calling 4-10 across the state (figure you're on that high end) and up to 12" in Litchfield and far NW Hartford.  He also threw a bone to the east slope and said "upwards of a foot".

I got your local station (WTIC) on my car radio as I was picking up pizza. Bob Cox was calling 4-10 across the state (figure you're on that high end) and up to 12" in Litchfield and far NW Hartford. He also threw a bone to the east slope and said "upwards of a foot".

Bobs usually pretty conservative

I turn him off as soon as I hear him. Downplays everything in wx . Fox has sine good mets like Furey and Sampieri

He and I went to school together.  He graduated a couple of years before me - that's they way we were taught.  Be conservative with an eye toward reality instead of what you want.  I think his call for 8-10" for us is right on.  We're on the edge for higher amounts or lower amounts (I think).

Here is the map that I am running with.  My scanner is down so I had to make this one mechanically.  The only area I am not that confident in is SE Mass.  Also makes the numbers a bit tough to read.  Blue = 7-10" Purple = 10-14" Green = 5-8" 

snowmap1.gif?w=540&h=647

My final call made about 36 hours ago is 7-11 in my hood, so agreed.

Walt Drag is still killing it. Man I miss him.

Say what you will about the model, but this is a situation where I would love to see the GFS have data every 3 hours. It shows the potential for really healthy banded precip in the WAA, but it is around Long Island at 06z and over CON to PWM by 12z. Basically it is intimating that SNE peaks around 09z.

You can still get the idea from the cross section here (running from E of LI to near LEB), but the mid levels are starting to dry out already by 12z.

On the left side, frontogenesis on the bottom panel is going to be strong and there is a nice layer of -EPV above it (good for banding).

The top right is RH with ageostrophic streamlines overlaid on it. As a result of that frontogenesis you'll get a nice thermally direct circulation that forms, leading to the strong lift on the warm side of the mid level front.

Bottom right is off on the color curve (air mass changes the color scale but the colors don't follow it, damn computers) but you can infer the numbers showing strong lift (15+ ubar/s) through the snow growth zone around 09z if you back up the lift near EEN to the S (right of the panel).

post-44-0-84432000-1386983003_thumb.jpg

I like WTEN's map the best as it pretty echoes my thinking exactly. It does the best job with accounting for the terrain impacts around here.

Agreed... the shadowing will be real on the western slope of the Berks/Taconics.  The BTV4 even shows as little as 0.25-0.5" QPF in the downslope region, while over an inch falls on the eastern slope. 

I also love ALY and BUF issuing advisories for 5-10".   It makes a lot of sense and I like them following the criteria, rather than playing the "this is the first storm of the season so we'll toss the criteria out the window..." type stuff.

THE OTHER ISSUE TO BE DEALT WITH IS THE SNOW

CRITERIA: 7" IN 12 HOURS VS. 9" IN 24-HRS. THIS STORM IS GOING TO

LAST FOR 18-24 HRS. THE SECOND ROUND OF THE STORM OVERNIGHT IS

WHEN THE WIDESPREAD MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED. THE

FCST THINKING AT THIS POINT IS FOR 5-10" FOR THE ADVISORY AREA.

That actually looks good...

My final call made about 36 hours ago is 7-11 in my hood, so agreed.

Thanks boys. I do think that the cold air will hang tough, but to what extent who knows.  Which is what is making SE MA so difficult.  Cold air hangs and they need to be in the 10-14", if it goes to rain quick and then they need to be in the 1-3".

Thanks boys. I do think that the cold air will hang tough, but to what extent who knows.  Which is what is making SE MA so difficult.  Cold air hangs and they need to be in the 10-14", if it goes to rain quick and then they need to be in the 1-3".

Even if the cold air did hang around down there the ratios wouldn't be good enough to just 10-14

Agreed... the shadowing will be real on the western slope of the Berks/Taconics.  The BTV4 even shows as little as 0.25-0.5" QPF in the downslope region, while over an inch falls on the eastern slope. 

I also love ALY and BUF issuing advisories for 5-10".   It makes a lot of sense and I like them following the criteria, rather than playing the "this is the first storm of the season so we'll toss the criteria out the window..." type stuff.

THE OTHER ISSUE TO BE DEALT WITH IS THE SNOW

CRITERIA: 7" IN 12 HOURS VS. 9" IN 24-HRS. THIS STORM IS GOING TO

LAST FOR 18-24 HRS. THE SECOND ROUND OF THE STORM OVERNIGHT IS

WHEN THE WIDESPREAD MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED. THE

FCST THINKING AT THIS POINT IS FOR 5-10" FOR THE ADVISORY AREA.

At least we've had a few teasers with at least an inch that have tested motorists. At this point it's been mid January like for a couple weeks, you should expect snow is a possibility. I think the only thing WFOs changed up for this event is going a little early with headlines so that the word gets out before the weekend when people tend to tune out.

Archived