• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

ha! was thinking about this a few minutes ago. definitely has flash freeze written all over it

I always thumbed my nose at that as being overrated ...until one time at band camp I stuck my car in a ditch...  Seriously, I was driving up Rt 1 out of New Bed in a backside cold punch once and the wet roads started sparkling.  

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's definitely not the way it works. If you forecast 2-4 and get 8-10, plows are on the road anyway. If you forecast 3-6 and get 1 you waste lots of money. And as Will stated, the next storm they don't listen to you and the 8-10 goes unplowed.

yep. and people get pissed. the other way around, they just say "the only job where you get paid to be wrong" 

I always thumbed my nose at that as being overrated ...until one time at band camp I stuck my car in a ditch...  Seriously, I was driving up Rt 1 out of New Bed in a backside cold punch once and the wet roads started sparkling.  

i've only experienced a true "flash freeze" one time and it was pretty amazing. i agree, this will have that kind of boundary i think. and it'll plow back and shouldn't have the strong NW drying flow that sometimes mitigates the issue

yep. and people get pissed. the other way around, they just say "the only job where you get paid to be wrong" 

I got that today on FB and went into high defense mode for you Mets, pisses me off well not pisses but something in the Blood Pressure goes up. Saving thousands of lives and property every year should be held in higher esteem and I let them know that.

The 18z NAM (fwiw) would shift some heavier S concerns a bit further S -- but I suspect most can derive that conclusion given to the slightly colder run.  

I think overall we are in line for a moderate impact event -- relative to the sensible weather history/experience of living in SNE.  When all is said and done we'll be happy as winter weather enthusiasts, while knowing we've been through much bigger events.  

I think the heavier amts will be along an axis from HFD-PWM ...down to the W suburbs of Boston and back.   This thinking does not include oreographic enhancing or any of that other local studies crap.   I still think that there is some chance for thundersnow along eastern side of that region, given to multi-guidance TTs bouncing to the lower 50s, and the a-priori knowledge/experience with these types of fast, but potent open waves.   Not including any 18z runs...  I am also still not liking even the Euro's 12z run of blithely plowing so much warm air in aloft when it's own vorticity advection is S of the 850 warm conveyor terminus.  Not sure how to acct for that but almost want to call it bullcrap.  We'll see.  But...grudgingly, I have to concede to p-type contamination working S of HFD-BOS...ranging out to brief snow then a flip kitchen sink/rain out around Phil's neck of the beaches.    

Warnings flying: Congrats to all

..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM SATURDAY TO 1 PM EST
SUNDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WITH A BRIEF PERIOD OF SLEET AND FREEZING
RAIN...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM SATURDAY TO 1 PM EST SUNDAY.
THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATIONS...INCLUDE NORTHERN CONNECTICUT...NORTHWEST RHODE
ISLAND...WESTERN...CENTRAL...EASTERN AND NORTHEASTERN
MASSACHUSETTS...AS WELL AS SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE. THIS INCLUDES
THE CITIES OF HARTFORD...BOSTON...WORCESTER...SPRINGFIELD...NASHUA
AND MANCHESTER.

* HAZARD TYPES...A PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW FOLLOWED BY A BRIEF
PERIOD OF SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES...ALONG
WITH AROUND A TRACE OF ICE.

* TIMING...SNOW OVERSPREADS SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND AROUND MIDDAY
SATURDAY...BECOMING STEADIER AND HEAVIER AROUND MIDNIGHT SUNDAY
CONTINUING INTO EARLY SUNDAY MORNING. THERE IS THE POTENTIAL FOR
A BRIEF PERIOD OF MIXING WITH SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN BY EARLY
SUNDAY MORNING OVER A MAJORITY OF THE WARNED AREA...BEFORE
CONCLUDING SUNDAY MORNING.

The 18z NAM (fwiw) would shift some heavier S concerns a bit further S -- but I suspect most can derive that conclusion given to the slightly colder run.  

I think overall we are in line for a moderate impact event -- relative to the sensible weather history/experience of living in SNE.  When all is said and done we'll be happy as winter weather enthusiasts, while knowing we've been through much bigger events.  

I think the heavier amts will be along an axis from HFD-PWM ...down to the W suburbs of Boston and back.   This thinking does not include oreographic enhancing or any of that other local studies crap.   I still think that there is some chance for thundersnow along eastern side of that region, given to multi-guidance TTs bouncing to the lower 50s, and the a-priori knowledge/experience with these types of fast, but potent open waves.   Not including any 18z runs...  I am also still not liking even the Euro's 12z run of blithely plowing so much warm air in aloft when it's own vorticity advection is S of the 850 warm conveyor terminus.  Not sure how to acct for that but almost want to call it bullcrap.  We'll see.  But...grudgingly, I have to concede to p-type contamination working S of HFD-BOS...ranging out to brief snow then a flip kitchen sink/rain out around Phil's neck of the beaches.    

Yeah this isn't your typical SWFE..we have a highly anomolous cold dome overhead..freshly supplied..So the typical caveats of mid level warm intrusions can't be applied as one might expect. the same idea gors for coastal folks who are worried about a quick flip to rain..they will snow far longer than some forecast /models we've seen

Pretty high impact but luckily Sunday and most home in their feety PJs drinking the fine stuff. Hey fantastic write up by the way.

Lucky for me, my wife and daughter are making their annual pilgrimage to the American Girl store in the Natick Mall.  Leaving me at home to track the storm.  Played out pretty damn well!

20.4/13

its interesting to see box still issued a watch along with the advisory for PVD and any city on the edge of the warning.

Unless I'm bluffing I only see the watches up.  But that's something I wish NWS stations would do more often, at least to highlight potential for an over-performing system and then put at the end "should confidence increase on higher impacts the advisory would be cancelled and upgraded to a WSW" or something to that effect.

Unless I'm bluffing I only see the watches up.  But that's something I wish NWS stations would do more often, at least to highlight potential for an over-performing system and then put at the end "should confidence increase on higher impacts the advisory would be cancelled and upgraded to a WSW" or something to that effect.

I read it in my p and c, the new date on the watch was 4ish today

Just curious how ALB's zones are overblown?  For most of the area they either have a WWA for 5-10 or WSW for 6-12 (6-10 for Mid-Hudson and NW CT areas)....

I was referring to the map before their 11AM update that had 10-14 in Litchfield County.  Its within a realm of acceptability IMO but I could see it being a little to high.

Yeah this isn't your typical SWFE..we have a highly anomolous cold dome overhead..freshly supplied..So the typical caveats of mid level warm intrusions can't be applied as one might expect. the same idea gors for coastal folks who are worried about a quick flip to rain..they will snow far longer than some forecast /models we've seen

You'll ping. Not a big deal. Lol

Archived