• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

Yeah but if you call for 2-4 and folks get 8-10 it becomes a problem. Other way does not

Well anytime you miss a forecast by 6-8" like in your example people will get annoyed. I know you'd be pissed if forecasts for 8-10 turned into 2-4".

But I think in general if you see 7" as the likely number, don't go 6-12" but go 5-8" or something. There's no reason to hype stuff up more than it needs to be, lol....but we know you like that stuff given your screen name.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not only that, if you bust high a majority of the time, then the idea of "warning the public" is a moot point because nobody is going top believe your "warnings". They will just think "oh that guy is predicting a big storm again...usually doesn't happen as bad as he says it will" and go on their merry way.

You lose credibility

Not only that, if you bust high a majority of the time, then the idea of "warning the public" is a moot point because nobody is going top believe your "warnings". They will just think "oh that guy is predicting a big storm again...usually doesn't happen as bad as he says it will" and go on their merry way.

Case in point, Irene then Sandy.

Check my edit.

With the location/position of the high,  winds will be almost due E as the system is S of LI.  Winds won't turn NE until the low is E of CC.

hmmm , it's close

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/index.php    10m winds are ENE with low tuck'd just S of E long island (1am) , then S of eastern  Long island  (4am) 10 mwinds are NE

I wish the High was centered due N or NNE of us and not "banana'd" well ESE into N atlantic.....good thing this is progressive or it would torch after a while IMO for E mass.

then 1 am time frame honestly scares the daylights out of me BL temp wise if I am East of a Boxboro-N Reading-Lexington line. But lets see like phil says what type of air mass is advecting in on those Ene/E winds and how long those 950 temps can stay cool. heavy heavy OMEGA needed

honestly, while i'm 99.9% sure it rains here...the actual snowfall forecast and impact along the immediate shore might be the hardest. i can seriously talk myself into and out of multiple scenarios. lol. 

further inland, it's snow...then just a matter of how quickly you mix etc. but i could agree with BOS forecasts for 3", 6", 9"...and even really down to the Canal and the Upper Cape i think. there's a massive bust potential. lose / lose. :lol:

You got it.  I'm assuming the warmer models are going to be more right mainly because of climo and what may still be a  That said the bust potential is huge.  I feel 1-3 here is the safe bet but GFS/NAM/EURO probably argue for more already (some are clearly much more).

Anyway new NAM is pulling the forest gump...box of chocolates.  Looks a lot different at 500mb IMO already at 12 hours.   Someone else jackpots this run!

Like you I see east winds being the glitch potentially if modeled right.  I can't imagine it being more than a few hours before it torches

Yeah, I love sleet I think it's pretty cool. It accumulates well also.

Do you think we even go to straight rain? I think if we do it's going to be incredibly brief

I  don't see how we avoid some rain right now.  If I had tu put a number on rain, I'd say TAN gets. 1/3-1/2" of rain on top of 4-6" of snow and a bit of sleet.  1-1.25" liquid.

my question to scott or phil would be are models usually too slow or fast wrt 950 temps warming on ENE flow in mid December with a cold airmass in place like we have...I mean I guess it depends on the orientation of the HIGH and it's movement...I suppose there aren't many great analogs

..I mean it seems that with that direction flow the CF would set up pretty far west near 495 and damn near MOST could change over 128 up thru Essex county if the models are too slow in bringing a more maritime 950 temp in on E/ENE winds. Those water temps are not cold. I'm a snow weenie thru and thru but I'm having a hard time seeing this not flipping,  but I don't have a ton of memory to go off with a cold arctic high banana'ing  from great lakes E to quebec then to The ESE into n atlatnic at height of storm. Thankfully it's progressive... I think at some latitude the CF will just stick barely in from the immediate coast and I think the main beneficiary of this will be N Essex county...perhaps lol what the f do I know

I could see Danvers getting a foot while I get 6 inches 7 miles SSW

Archived