joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was in Southern New England I always felt very bullish about these storms in the Boston area. But when all was said and done, usually the amount of mixing on a close by track (inside BM like this one) was a function of two factors: 1) the strength/polar of high pressure and 2) the time of the year. The cold arctic high is definitely there, but usually a mid-December storm meant a lot of mixing and changeover whereas this track in February would be mainly/all snow, due to ocean/harbor temp being closer to freezing...

It will be interesting to see which wins out this time...

Boy the 18z NAM sure is in and out quickly.

I'm way too far behind to catch up--is it going to snow here or what? :)

Also, what's the deal on ratios?  I guess these should be pretty run-of-the-mill given the forecasted snowfall and modeled qpf.   

131213204504.gif

MPM here is your sounding at 36 hours....

That is what it is....s WIlmington, N Woburn, etc...Reaading...

Truly amazing how often Pickles and I are RN/ZR/IP and Ray is ripping SN.   Newcomers may think it's funny when mets use the highway (128/495) as a rain/snow line but that's really what it ends up being.  

The Tippy in me would wonder if ancestors built the road based on where the rain/snow line sets up so often. 

Just heard Bob Maxon throw out the snow to sleet and rain set up for the entire state of ct. with the high end being 8".  He did seem to think the totals would be on the high end.

YOU can't ignore today's best mix.  It's coming.

We are likely to have an hour or 2 of sleet at the tail end..But that's it. You won't ever get above 26-27

Guys I made a terrible bet at work that BDL would total 10" or more this storm. Can someone level with me the chances of this occurring.

Actually, with good ratios and minimal to no taint, I think 10" at BDL is a good forecast, give or take a couple.  8-12 would be my forecast.

Just heard Bob Maxon throw out the snow to sleet and rain set up for the entire state of ct. with the high end being 8".  He did seem to think the totals would be on the high end.

YOU can't ignore today's best mix.  It's coming.

Thought it was a bad move to change the map late this morning. Sometimes when you try to keep up with the noise in forecast cycles you end up shooting yourself in the foot when your original idea was the right one all along.

Truly amazing how often Pickles and I are RN/ZR/IP and Ray is ripping SN.   Newcomers may think it's funny when mets use the highway (128/495) as a rain/snow line but that's really what it ends up being.  

The Tippy in me would wonder if ancestors built the road based on where the rain/snow line sets up so often. 

Not for that purpose of course but that's exactly the result of design..  They're built around topography.  Why blast through a hill side when you can run the road in front of thill side.

An under the radar hazard about this system is that any S-E zones that do get liquid into the event are going to flash freeze pretty dramatically as this thing pulls away, the winds back and pure arctic blue cuts through...  

ha! was thinking about this a few minutes ago. definitely has flash freeze written all over it

Yeah but if you call for 2-4 and folks get 8-10 it becomes a problem. Other way does not

That's definitely not the way it works. If you forecast 2-4 and get 8-10, plows are on the road anyway. If you forecast 3-6 and get 1 you waste lots of money. And as Will stated, the next storm they don't listen to you and the 8-10 goes unplowed.

Archived