joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i think up to 4" is pretty reasonable for most of this region. think it'll mostly be gone by Sun midday, but...whatever.

12/16/07 gave his area like 5-6"...and that airmass was actually a little less cold than this one and the sfc low went about over Weymouth or Marshfield. Granted, not every storm system is the same and some unlucky mesoscale breaks could screw someone, but just about every analog for this type of setup is giving pretty solid front end snows even down to the canal....so yeah, I think 2-4" is a good starting point and I think there might be potential for 6"+ pretty close to the canal (though prob a bit NW)

12/16/07 gave his area like 5-6"...and that airmass was actually a little less cold than this one and the sfc low went about over Weymouth or Marshfield. Granted, not every storm system is the same and some unlucky mesoscale breaks could screw someone, but just about every analog for this type of setup is giving pretty solid front end snows even down to the canal....so yeah, I think 2-4" is a good starting point and I think there might be potential for 6"+ pretty close to the canal (though prob a bit NW)

CIPS seems to be settling into a classic look to the snow gradient.

COOPmeannam212F036.png

snowfall gradient becoming more and more latitude dependent on guidance now. goes along with the general climo on these things but neat to see the evolution playing out even on the snow products.

Guidance is figuring out that the mid-level temps are going to be the primary driver of snowfall gradient. Its going to take a long while before the maritime airmass can penetrate this beastly arctic airmass more than right along the immediate beaches.

Just give me the thump. I know my fate, but the thump is key. That should happen.

That's how I feel at this point. I said it back on Wednesday that I expected the CT shoreline to go over to rain at some point...and here we are. Funny thing is I just started buying into the colder solutions this afternoon...then the NAM does this. Not sure it can totally be discounted...as 18z did introduce a but more warmth along the coast. 18z was actually the first run that showed HVN going to rain with still some appreciable QPF left. May have been starting a bit of a trend.

You know the scene in the movie Twister when they are having lunch at the Aunts House. And non-chaser girl asks if there is an F5 and everyone goes silent. 12-9-05 is our F5 where we go silent.

That made me laugh

Maybe this is akin to the run that brought the Feb blizzard over HYA lol.

I remember that run the night before that gave 40" to where i was staying that weekend up at hunter mountain, and like 5" qpf to north NJ

snowfall gradient becoming more and more latitude dependent on guidance now. goes along with the general climo on these things but neat to see the evolution playing out even on the snow products.

Guidance is figuring out that the mid-level temps are going to be the primary driver of snowfall gradient. Its going to take a long while before the maritime airmass can penetrate this beastly arctic airmass more than right along the immediate beaches.

yep. i still feel the way i did earlier today which is that the immediate shore from just north of BOS to the Cape is the toughest forecast. i can still see 6"+ or 2". until it's actually evolving, it's really hard to say. inland/n of the pike, it's relatively easy. just a matter of how quick it shuts off etc.

reverse that and I would agree...

It's not as simple as the generic "Nashua will get more because they're north" argument.....knowledge of local climo helps.

1) Nashua is usually in a relative nadir for snowfall due to their location within the armpit of the MRV

2) My area is more favored to reap the benefits from cf attributed lift

Archived