• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Do you have any limits for how much cold and snow you want?

Fozz

Snow: my limit is 4'. That isn't to say I won't go on a snow chase for higher amounts if I had the chance and it was a one-time thing, but if it happened IMBY then I'd start getting concerned about my roof, and if I was constantly seeing that much snow then I may get tired of it.

No limit for seasonal totals :)

Cold: -10°F. If we were to have a cold air outbreak with that kind of temperature, I think it would be really cool to experience if it just happened once or twice, but generally I'm not a fan of bitter cold, and if I lived in a place like Minnesota where temps below that are common, then I'd get pretty annoyed by it.

But winters here are mild enough that we never reach those limits and "bitter cold" by mid-Atlantic standards (25 and windy) isn't really that bad if you have a few layers. So bring it on! :snowing::snowman::snowing:

Snow: my limit is 4'. That isn't to say I won't go on a snow chase for higher amounts if I had the chance and it was a one-time thing, but if it happened IMBY then I'd start getting concerned about my roof, and if I was constantly seeing that much snow then I may get tired of it.

Cold: -10°F. If we were to have a cold air outbreak with that kind of temperature, I think it would be really cool to experience if it just happened once or twice, but generally I'm not a fan of bitter cold, and if I lived in a place like Minnesota where temps below that are common, then I'd get pretty annoyed by it.

But winters here are mild enough that we never reach those limits and "bitter cold" by mid-Atlantic standards (25 and windy) isn't really that bad if you have a few layers. So bring it on!  :snowing:  :snowman:  :snowing:

when I was younger I used to think it would be great to live in Garrett Co.  I don't think that way anymore.  Part of that reason is after moving here around Westminster, I found myself getting a bit tired of the snow (at times) when I was shoveling an inch or two off the driveway every few days (it gets like that sometimes).  I could never stand a place like Garrett Co. I firmly know that now.

I don't know if I'd want 5' of snow in one dumping. That's a lot to shovel. 100" a year? Bring it. 200" a year? Bring it... 

Cold, I think this is partly a function of where you live. Around here (Richmond), a long stretch of days with highs 25* or below and lows around 0 would cause a lot o infrastructure problems. If I lived more north where that wasn't that uncommon, it wouldn't really bother me. 

when I was younger I used to think it would be great to live in Garrett Co.  I don't think that way anymore.  Part of that reason is after moving here around Westminster, I found myself getting a bit tired of the snow (at times) when I was shoveling an inch or two off the driveway every few days (it gets like that sometimes).  I could never stand a place like Garrett Co. I firmly know that now.

Fair enough, not everyone is a fan of winter, but I'd love to at least visit Garrett county during a big storm.

My dad lived in upstate New York for a while. Honestly, if it's less than 4-6" you don't get your snow blower out. He always had snow tires on his car and didn't see the point of shoveling those tiny amounts. One thing I also noticed about that town was this: driveways were REALLY short. I mean, my dad's driveway could have been shoveled of 6" of snow in about 10 minutes. The snow blower did it in 5. 

No limit on snow ... Single digits and below are a definite no thanks. I think that's the general beginning of the booger freezing zone. That said if it was that cold here I'd root it on for historical value.

<= 40"

>= 10 degrees

preference:

30" snowstorm with temps around 20 degrees, but i probably only want one of these storms per season surrounded by a couple minor events with the rest of winter being mild.  that would be a highly successful winter to me.  get the snow craving, but not so much throughout the winter that i get cabin fever.

I can't conceive of having too much snow or cold weather.  I have been told by a lot of old-timers that I'd like it less the older I got.  But at 50, my only concessions are Lubriderm and oatmeal baths. :)  I worked outside most of the morning today, and plan on doing the last of my tractor work for the season tomorrow.  Great weather for that.

I have been tent camping in -25F and am hoping to do it again when my sons get a little older and can enjoy it with me.

<= 40"

>= 10 degrees

preference:

30" snowstorm with temps around 20 degrees, but i probably only want one of these storms per season surrounded by a couple minor events with the rest of winter being mild.  that would be a highly successful winter to me.  get the snow craving, but not so much throughout the winter that i get cabin fever.

If I had my way, I'd want the temperature below freezing for all of DJF except lower 40s for a few days in a January thaw. Overcast most days with snow showers/squalls, and a big storm (10-20"+) every few weeks.

No and no.  I had 47" on the ground in Feb '10 and was looking upstream for a clipper to "freshen" things up.  I like the extreme cold since it keeps snow around longer and freezes lakes/ponds/rivers.  I spend more time than I like to admit looking at the Dolly Sods web cam and the new Snowshoe streaming video and pining away...

Snow in one storm: Unlimited, however...

Snow on my roof at any given time: 40"

Snow in a season: 150" (assuming it was spread over the whole season and my roof didn't cave in)

Cold temps: I want above 20* for highs, always - don't really care about lows, but probably nothing less than -10*, and once in a winter at that

As soon as March hits, I want it to be in the 60s. A mid-winter thaw is always nice, too.

If I had my way, I'd want the temperature below freezing for all of DJF except lower 40s for a few days in a January thaw. Overcast most days with snow showers/squalls, and a big storm (10-20"+) every few weeks.

i love a fresh coating of snow.  love watching it fall, love going out for a walk in it, love seeing it settle for a day...but to me its more of a sight sense.  i don't care for cold too much, and most of my hobbies require warmer weather.  that's mainly why i prefer to not have 3 months of snow and cold, though none at all and i get cranky.  these last few winters have been absolutely atrocious snow-wise, but i did like the temps a couple seasons ago (i guess i fall in the "if it's not gonna snow, i'd rather it be mild" camp).

I can't conceive of having too much snow or cold weather.  I have been told by a lot of old-timers that I'd like it less the older I got.  But at 50, my only concessions are Lubriderm and oatmeal baths. :)  I worked outside most of the morning today, and plan on doing the last of my tractor work for the season tomorrow.  Great weather for that.

I have been tent camping in -25F and am hoping to do it again when my sons get a little older and can enjoy it with me.

Agree 100%, spent HOURS outside today (I hiked 15 miles), the colder the better in my book, you just have to understand and prepare.

As long as I can get the snow off of my roof, no limit.

Temps-as long as I have heat and/or a fireplace and firewood, no limit.

This^^. And I'll agree with others, I'm a four (well three, hate the heat) season person.

Archived