• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Remembering Snowpocalypse -- 12/18-12/19, 2009

Ian

Well, isn't this a surprise....sleet and 39 degrees. About 25 minutes of pure sleet, just enough to whiten the elevated decks and car windshields, now back to a mix of rain and sleet. About 0.03 inches of liquid in gauge. Another miss on the forecast....48 and rain by afternoon.

Jeezus...you got screwed.

seems to be back now. tho i shared it then capitalweather reshared it and it's an 8mb file so we might have killed the server

Fun stuff. It could have been the loop and the fact that my webcam was getting crazy hits too due to the snow storm up here, but yeah, I reached my bandwidth limit which was 10G, it's now 20G. Sorry for the down time! Snowpocalypse lives on!!

Great storm. I do remember being a bit pissed at the beginning when the dry air kept eating away at the onset of the system...It took FOREVER for the snow to start that day, it finally began by late afternoon, and I knew we had likely missed out on the historic snowfall chances by that point in New Brunswick, NJ. We were modelled on the huge gradient so I thought it still could go either way day of. 11" later in new brunswick, but 18-22 one county to the south and east.

• 11 months later...

I remember having the neighbors over that evening. I was splitting my time between the raging excitement on this board vs. the excitement of 4 bottles of world class wine that we plowed through.. Hurting the next AM, the fresh snow cleared my head in an instant. The kids and I had a blast just playing and shoveling all morning. Good times for sure.

I cried just now.

Was so beautiful! That radar seems faked based on the way things usually are! 

LOL!

Was loving the Christmas lights caked with snow that winter! Igloos and just fun! NO IDEA that anything more amazing was coming that winter and it did not matter if it did not! That was awesome! Thanks for reminding us all! And now I will eat a gallon of ice cream and sulk as if I miss a long lost friend! SN++

pretty similar...Though 2009 was a bit longer duration event...1983 was about 24 hours and about 5-7 degrees colder in the averages...2009 was about 8 hours longer and mostly in the mid to upper 20s

I thought i interesting that the CIPPS analogs identified 1983 as the top analog for the dec 2009 storm and the feb 6th 2010 one.  The 2010 storm would have had the dec event as a top analogs but it was not yet int he data base. 

I had turned on TWC. The night before I had looked at my Local on the Eights and was stunned to see the 18-24 inch forecast. I knew what was coming, but couldn't grasp it until the night before. I barely got any sleep, and had the radar on. I dosed off, woke up at six, and saw the most impressive blob of white over DC, with no way out of it. Easily the best moment of my weather life, and truly got me interesting in snow, rather then hurricanes.

I have a saved photo of that radar still that I'm going to try and dig out so I can remissness.