Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Remembering Snowpocalypse -- 12/18-12/19, 2009

Ian

probably my favorite storm of all time

why is that? it was just about perfect minus maybe a few tenths liquid. i think i actually liked the feb 5-6 event better tho i'm not really sure why, maybe just because i went down to the mall.

why is that? it was just about perfect minus maybe a few tenths liquid. i think i actually liked the feb 5-6 event better tho i'm not really sure why, maybe just because i went down to the mall.

Pivot!!

I like the storm better from a synoptic perspective...that it was a rare DEC storm that nobody thought was climatologically possible...the block was better....the evolution was better...I think everyone remembers the Feb block keeping everything south but it was more the monster displaced vortex over Quebec

I was in Lancaster at the time, and just completed my last undergraduate finals. Graduation was the next day, but when I saw the north trend the night before, I packed up early on the 18th and drove back to Philadelphia while the roads were still good. I was quite happy to have gotten out of there and back to Philly because my neighborhood consists of tiny streets that never get plowed in a 6" snowstorm, let alone an 18" event.

Don S. predicted around 18-24" for RIC. Would have been a top 3 storm all-time here.

I received 10-11" in the end...mixing during the night killed me.

The mixing during the night hurt totals, but they didn't hurt near as much as watching the deform band form 40 miles north of us the next day. If we hadn't gotten CRUSHED in the early few hours of that storm it would have been a real bust around here. Most of the snow was supposed to come Saturday and we got almost nothing.

I remember this storm vividly. We lost power from Friday 12/19 until 12/24. It was restored at noon on Christmas Eve. So, it was a Christmas gift that we were happy to receive! It did look beautiful outside. Also, it was fun to track the storm. However, I could have done without the power outage, LOL.

The mixing during the night hurt totals, but they didn't hurt near as much as watching the deform band form 40 miles north of us the next day. If we hadn't gotten CRUSHED in the early few hours of that storm it would have been a real bust around here. Most of the snow was supposed to come Saturday and we got almost nothing.

Yeah, I'm not as fond of this storm- ROA had 18, Amherst had 18. I had 14.5 if you do 6 hours but had 12 on the ground. Bands were JUST to my north 15 miles-- closer to route 60 than 460 near LYH. 14.5 wasn't bad, but even as the storm unfolded, the models had me getting 20-24 inches. I was hoping for 18.

This one definitely had a lot of similarities to Feb '83...I remember thinking that too when the progs were about 72h out. Up here, it under performed compared to '83 due to more advection of dry air from the north...but definitely not down in that region.

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

???

seems to be back now. tho i shared it then capitalweather reshared it and it's an 8mb file so we might have killed the server

This one definitely had a lot of similarities to Feb '83...I remember thinking that too when the progs were about 72h out. Up here, it under performed compared to '83 due to more advection of dry air from the north...but definitely not down in that region.

pretty similar...Though 2009 was a bit longer duration event...1983 was about 24 hours and about 5-7 degrees colder in the averages...2009 was about 8 hours longer and mostly in the mid to upper 20s