joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2013 obs/disco

2010 extreme

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

During 2012 at DCA, we had a yearly precipitation deficit after each day of the year, and that continued this year until yesterday.  Now, we have a 2013 precipitation surplus of 1.21 inches.

I'd have to go do some digging to see what my records are on that front....

I know last year was pretty dry.

Anyway, first 10 days of June I have 5.91 inches, 3.60 in last two days.

I'd have to go do some digging to see what my records are on that front....

I know last year was pretty dry.

Anyway, first 10 days of June I have 5.91 inches, 3.60 in last two days.

Your June precipitation so far is almost equal to DCA's of 5.84 inches. Last year at DCA, total precipitation was 32.45 inches, a deficit of 7.26 inches relative to the 1981-2010 normal, with only September and October above that normal.  This year started the same way, with a precipitation deficit in each of the first five months, albeit a lesser overall deficit than for the first five months of 2012 -- 3.38 inches this year compared to 5.22 inches last year.  So, prior to this month, 15 of the past 17 months had been below normal precipitation at DCA.  That trend has now ended with a thud.

Your June precipitation so far is almost equal to DCA's of 5.84 inches. Last year at DCA, total precipitation was 32.45 inches, a deficit of 7.26 inches relative to the 1981-2010 normal, with only September and October above that normal.  This year started the same way, with a precipitation deficit in each of the first five months, albeit a lesser overall deficit than for the first five months of 2012 -- 3.38 inches this year compared to 5.22 inches last year.  So, prior to this month, 15 of the past 17 months had been below normal precipitation at DCA.  That trend has now ended with a thud.

Did a little digging...

2013 started wet, Jan 5.65 inches. Then Feb, Mar and April (by a smidge) below. May and early June WAY above.

Last year I had 39.80 inches, so much more than DCA, but still short of my 41.20 average.

Had a wet late winter and spring 2012 with Feb, Mar (by just a little) and April above, then Aug and Sept also above, rest below.

2011 I had 46.23 inches.

2010 I had 41.95 inches.

But we may be getting slight OT. :whistle:

79F for the high today.  A bit humid, but pretty good for mid-June. 

Interesting reading all the rain OBS from you guys.  Sitting on 2.5" for the month out here.  That's a very healthy total until you consider the pattern.  Not that I want flooding rains, but it's curious how we keep missing the heavy rains out here. 

Last summer was the best summer for tstorms and reliable rainfall.  The only summer in recent memory when my lawn was green from wire to wire.  Thundestorms once a week or better made that possible.

The storms were kind of spotty though...at last from my perspective. I couldn't tell you how many times other areas got nice soaking rains while I was high and dry. Went on like that for weeks on end. Seems like rains are a bit more widespread this year.

This is the type of day where those who drive from AC to AC laud the beautiful summer day while those who work downtown and walk or take public transportation have the wet spots through their shirts and look like they just ran a marathon...nasty morning

Good thing NJWINTER is promising cold Atlantic air for us

This is the type of day where those who drive from AC to AC laud the beautiful summer day while those who work downtown and walk or take public transportation have the wet spots through their shirts and look like they just ran a marathon...nasty morning

Dirty, sweaty people live in the city.  That's why I moved out of it after 7+ years.

Archived