joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2013 obs/disco

2010 extreme

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today is going to be the classic...."sun is out, come on atmosphere cook" kind of day then around 5pm it will be completely sunny and 85 degrees and a perfect evening. You guys just get here or something...lol

This never, ever happens.  Ever.  Hogwash.

I think forecasting severe weather for specific cities (a day out) has joined forecasting the genesis of a tropical cyclone as areas where maybe the expectations on the forecasts are a bit higher than what the state of the science can provide right now. 

Maybe the derecho in the same month erased the area's memory of 6/1/12? Like today, the expectations were very high for that event, right up to the onset. It was supposed to be a multi-round event, with potentially significant tornadoes from discrete super-cells followed by a bowing line. We did get 12 weak tornadoes out of it, but most of the area avoided any severe thunderstorm criteria. I remember the kind of letdown from both the public and those on the board. 

The relatively unheralded 6/22/12 event (one week before the derecho) ended up causing more widespread wind damage, including a 90-100 mph downburst in Bladensburg. 

I think forecasting severe weather for specific cities (a day out) has joined forecasting the genesis of a tropical cyclone as areas where maybe the expectations on the forecasts are a bit higher than what the state of the science can provide right now.

Maybe the derecho in the same month erased the area's memory of 6/1/12? Like today, the expectations were very high for that event, right up to the onset. It was supposed to be a multi-round event, with potentially significant tornadoes from discrete super-cells followed by a bowing line. We did get 12 weak tornadoes out of it, but most of the area avoided any severe thunderstorm criteria. I remember the kind of letdown from both the public and those on the board.

The relatively unheralded 6/22/12 event (one week before the derecho) ended up causing more widespread wind damage, including a 90-100 mph downburst in Bladensburg.

This sort of thing frequently happens, including the Bethesda Moco wind event, which was a noteworthy event for some. (7/25 I believe that was, not sure of the year). But some people get microbursts and downbursts that give them a personal top 5 storm in a see text, you just never can tell. Perception comes by group with weather, especially severe.

Well, after 7 years of service on the top of my roof. I am retiring my Original Davis Vantage Pro station. It's rain gauge is off by 15%+, the humidity never gets over 96% anymore, the wind direction sensor is off by 60° even when calibrated and the transmission range has decreased so significantly that I need a makeshift antenna for it to reach the computer that stores and sends the data to the internet. I would replace it part by part but it is no longer supported by Davis Instruments and spare parts are very hard to find or all gone.

Time to go Davis VP1.

41-thumb.jpg

Hello Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield. More solar panel power, longer transmission range, more accurate temp/dp readings even during full sunshine with no wind and a proper shelf for my solar radiation sensor.

yhst-37697109791737_2263_79356708.jpg

Only thing I don't like about severe is I don't think the thrill of the storm is worth the long tracking time. With winter and tropical storms they generally are atleast 12 hour events and sometimes 24+.

Even a great thunderstorm is a <30 minute event.

Well, after 7 years of service on the top of my roof. I am retiring my Original Davis Vantage Pro station. It's rain gauge is off by 15%+, the humidity never gets over 96% anymore, the wind direction sensor is off by 60° even when calibrated and the transmission range has decreased so significantly that I need a makeshift antenna for it to reach the computer that stores and sends the data to the internet. I would replace it part by part but it is no longer supported by Davis Instruments and spare parts are very hard to find or all gone.

Time to go Davis VP1.

41-thumb.jpg

Hello Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24 hr fan aspirated radiation shield. More solar panel power, longer transmission range, more accurate temp/dp readings even during full sunshine with no wind and a proper shelf for my solar radiation sensor.

Perhaps a retirement dinner?

Time to go Davis VP1.

41-thumb.jpg

Love my VP2. I don't have 24hr FARS, but I'm sure it probably makes a big difference in temp/humidity readings.

Very dry out there. If it wasn't for the copious amounts of rain we have received of late I would be worried about brush fires on a day like today. My throat gets dry if I spend too long outside on days with such low dews so I will be sure to take a water bottle with me at all times.

Very dry out there. If it wasn't for the copious amounts of rain we have received of late I would be worried about brush fires on a day like today. My throat gets dry if I spend too long outside on days with such low dews so I will be sure to take a water bottle with me at all times.

Make sure it's one with a top that's easy to open with gloves on! ;)

Watch out for those dangerous windchills.

Be sure to add a little salt to the water so that it doesn't freeze solid.

Archived