joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2013 obs/disco

2010 extreme

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How the hell is that even possible? Was any reporting station near DCA even close to 70?

Pretty easy, they are about complete opposites for the ability to cool quickly.  IAD is in a little depression (enhances cold pooling) at a higher elevation in a more rural setting.  DCA is in a river in the middle of the urban heat island.  At my house at 11pm it was 65.5°.  Less than two miles away on another PWS it was 57.7°.  Both are accurate readings representing the local areas.  Microclimates are fascinating. 

Pretty easy, they are about complete opposites for the ability to cool quickly.  IAD is in a little depression (enhances cold pooling) at a higher elevation in a more rural setting.  DCA is in a river in the middle of the urban heat island.  At my house at 11pm it was 65.5°.  Less than two miles away on another PWS it was 57.7°.  Both are accurate readings representing the local areas.  Microclimates are fascinating. 

I believe that the largest disparity in the DCA and IAD daily minimum temperatures occurred on Wednesday, January 28, 1987.  That morning, there was about a foot and a half of snow on the ground at both airports, following the "Double Whammy" snowstorms of Thursday, January 22nd and (Super Bowl) Sunday-Monday, January 25th and 26th.  Tuesday night, the 27th was clear, and the temperature at IAD fell to -17 Wednesday morning.  However, at DCA, the minimum was + 7, for a disparity of 24 degrees.    

Archived