joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man the totals all around..epic. South Weymouth 24.1". Canton 23". I wasn't able to do offical measuring every 6 hrs, but I would guess I cracked 20 by doing that. This morning was pounding here.

It will be just shy I think..I can't make up numbers.

I had about 16 (not measured...purely eyeballed) around Noon. Likely 18 or so....who knows? Alot more than Mumbles expected when he didn't call a snow emergency...lol.

Incidentally, one last good bye kiss band moving in after it had nearly stopped. I wonder if the final is 14 or so for BOS. Either way, seasonal total is around 56-57 as of 1PM. Not bad considernig we were around 10 on 2/1. I'm not 100% convinced we're done either.

See my post in the Spring thread. All aboard the train.

This event was pretty long for the interior...we started with a couple inches overnight Wednesday night and early yesterday morning with that almost convective looking stuff off the ocean on the east flow...then some more organized echoes finally started backing in but it was fairly slow to accumulate additional until it really began to rip later in the afternoon. When all said and done, it was over 40 hours worth of snow.

That along with some of lulls prob make the new snow depth on the ground vs the 6 hourly totals a higher discrepancy than normal.

Wow radio DJ down in Northampton is saying under 1" there. Ouch!  Hard to believe considering reports of 5"- 6"+ in and around Springfield area.

ASHFIELD               4.9   700 AM  3/08  COOP OBSERVER

LEVERETT               4.0   700 AM  3/08  COOP OBSERVER

SUNDERLAND             3.5   700 AM  3/08  COOP OBSERVER

EAST CHARLEMONT        3.5  1055 AM  3/08  SPOTTER

GREENFIELD             3.0   849 AM  3/08  GENERAL PUBLIC

Amherst/Hadley was a coating on pavement. Car tops and snowpiles 1-3".   This exceeds Oct '11 as the largest elevation gradient event I have taken note of since 2008.  8" on pavement, 10"+ on snowpiles at 750', half that at 450', down to a T in the lowest spots.  At Berkshire East it was not as pronounced, 6" at the top, 2-3" at the base. 

Yeah under 700 feet yesterday made a huge difference. and below 500 feet most of the new snow yesterday had melted. 800 feet it was sticking to rds  the 700-800 foot area is generally the magic area I've noticed over the years

That was the case here pretty much, albeit lesser totals obviously.

Just got back from wawa. It was epic. They have a good 20" there with 3' in the woods. I was able to ski the woods off balance rock for the first time in years. Took some great pics. 

xujjlNk.jpg

in the woods. 

Nice one dude. 

And probably close to top 10 near my house too. I know just south it is. Awesome.

NWS BOX had 18" there as of 1pm..they prob crack 20" unless it lightened up too much but i think they are still ripping. That's a big total. Lot of 20"+ totals will be out of interior SE MA.

Snow stopped here, 17" today, I guess 18" if you add yesterdays inch that melted. It got a degree or two warmer towards the end and made the snow wet and sticky, it stuck to everything including my snowblower auger, it was useless. Fortunately my wife left work early, she drove up and I said "you know how you say we should do more things together, well heres a shovel, lets shovel the driveway together". hehe

Archived