joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys, you might be in for a little bit of a surprise.  The N 10 or so miles of this shield is dry at the sfc...  Wasn't expecting that, but we end in Ayer abruptly an hour ago with level 2 green over us.   This may work its way S - don't know

I mentioned that a while ago,  sun was dim and snow-melt with the echos over us.

That's the mysterious part of it.  It didn't really move with the change in wind directions at the surface and aloft.  Totally bizarre

LOL. It's kind of funny for me now.  I mean, not if you live under it, but geez, look at this thing.  36 hours, no change.  Just little dances 20-25 miles or so.  

http://climate.cod.edu/data/nexrad/BOX/N0Q/BOX.N0Q.20130308.1845.gif

That's the mysterious part of it. It didn't really move with the change in wind directions at the surface and aloft. Totally bizarre

Rollo I do not know if you missed my post. My obs last night. Winds would really roar overhead from the East I could hear them then bang a strong line would form to my west almost instantly,, my winds immediately slackened as I went into a dry slot Totally reminded me of down-sloping, air dried out then immediately forced back up, over and over and over this happened The temp would bounce back and forth inconjunction with the wind. Adiabatic processes that did not ease at all. I picture it as being lee side of a howling wind .The wind howls above you but right in front of you it drops and curls up throwing dirt up ward at you. The only issue is there are no mountains on the East side . Maybe just guessing there was a vertical slant slope to the winds.

Rollo I do not know if you missed my post. My obs last night. Winds would really roari overhead from the East I could hear them then bang a strong line would form to my west almost instantly,, my winds immediately slackened as I went into a dry slot Totally reminded me of down-sloping, air dried out then immediately forced back up, over and over and over this happened  The temp would bounce back and forth inconjunction with the wind. Adiabatic processes that did not ease at all. I picture it as being lee side of a howling wind .The wind howls above you but right in front of you it drops and curls up throwing dirt up ward at you. The only issue is there are no mountains on the East side .  Maybe just guessing there was a vertical slant slope to the winds.

You know it's interesting you mentioned this.  Last night we had that here too and it wasn't really explainable.  If you look at the snow map it happened in southern Plymouth county as well.  Along 3a the temp would go from 35 to 32 with enormous winds, heavy snow on one side, meh rain on the other. 

You may be right it may be some type of turbulence almost like you see off the tip of an airplane wing but RI was on the downslope side of it.

I have dim sun and 36.4F up here in Central NH.  As soon as your snow stops and the skies brighten temps will rise into the upper 30's down there.  Flittered March sun is doing its thing and everything is melting like crazy.  Watch how fast this settles and shrinks this weekend!  Hope you enjoyed your storm.  2" up here.  Missed every storm this season except the blizzard sideswiped us with 11".  More seasonal snow down there than up there but I have had continual snowcover with my elevation and latitude.  Let mud season begin!!

The last time I recall this sort of steady state conveyor scenario that was this prolific was April 1997.   For hours on end, level 3 green and 1 yellows pummeled inland from off the ocean during that event, and there were several hours of lightning and thunder in the Pike to Rt 2 corridor over eastern sections with that, where 30+" snow was maxed in a number of locations.  

This will fall short of that, but still ... and impressive conveyor event where once that moisture transport was established ... rare configuration of translating events aloft allowed it to persist unusually long.  

The RI dryslot was a combo of the s/w interaction and probably some sort of speed divergence issue. Because things really were stalled...the dryslot probably was stalled as well.

Imagine if that was over Ray's head?

Heavy snow here now.  One last gasp from the s/w before it dives down. 

Meh storm.

Archived