Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One last hurrah for BOS.

Temps near 40 here at work. Temps will rise tonight..lol.

Yeah, the 850mb thermal field seems to just end up at +2 to +3 amid the various operational models as this pulls away.  

We are now in the time of transition season where days of a "certain" appeal will go above machine guidance, and probably bust most Mets ...albeit trivially, on the cool side.   

As is, the 12z NAM has a fairly discerned inversion showing up on the FRH grid for Sunday - understandable given the snow pack, and the ridge being right over head.  Still, the diabatic heating is almost always under-estimated, sometimes more than less.  

I could see tomorrow nicking the mid 40s under sun and downsloping out of NW/N, because though that wind direction ... it's pulling rotted polar air on a katabatic trajectory.  Decent diurnal tomorrow night over snow pack and calm wind, and then Sunday gets to 50 under sapphire blue and searing "Equinox" sun.  

34.5/28 - Flurries starting up again.

2.5" is now down to 2".

Yes... that dry slot was (is) amazing... Not only did it not precip yesterday, it was partly to mostly sunny through most of the day light hours.

Also, although the radar showed stronger echoes along the immediate RI coast and in South County last evening and even times this morning, there was no snow falling.  It was once the lighter echoes made it over us that snow would actually fall.  

Truly amazing.... this is why we love weather!!   :)

The 13" seems low for the coiy as a whole, but better than I thought there.

Really thought that would be higher. Logan's spot right on the water probably hurts. That's honestly not much higher than some of our area has so far-NE NJ has up to 10" and spots on Long Island might end up with 12". Central Park with 4" as usual seems low since it pounded here in Manhattan for several hours and they only picked up 2".

The use the Winthrop MA measurement and do not have an "official" observer.

I know they do...they measure on a peninsula that sticks out into the ocean.  Several inches too low?  I mean come on...

The best you can say is it's not representative of the greater boston metro area...but it doesn't mean the observer sucks or is lowballing the measurement.

I know they do...they measure on a peninsula that sticks out into the ocean.  Several inches too low?  I mean come on...

The best you can say is it's not representative of the greater boston metro area...but it doesn't mean the observer sucks or is lowballing the measurement.

Well I know the area and I can't say if the guy is on the water or not. He probably did the best he could with blowing and drifting, but there was zero marine influence last night after 22z.

maybe sbos should go over to winthrop and take a measurement. or go teach the guy how to measure snow.

You see a lot of that when it comes to official obs. But I also see very few people willing to volunteer to measure at the same spot (properly sited with no obstructions) within a reasonable distance from the airport roughly every six hours for at least four months out of the year.

I know they do...they measure on a peninsula that sticks out into the ocean. Several inches too low? I mean come on...

Winthrop is on a peninsula. Logan is on a peninsula. My house is on a peninsula. All jutting out into the same harbor.

The 010 degree wind can still drive the snow off the peninsula in winthrop into the bay..before it's measured.

010 wind has little effect there and temps dropped below 32 late aftn so I think that's a non-issue. JMHO. You are only as good as your geographical location and with wind..I bet that was part of the issue. I know they had mroe than 0.3"/hr last night when it was coming down good.

Archived