joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th-8th Ocean Storm Obs

free_man

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still fascinated by that screw zone/grass hole over central RI all day yesterday, overnight, and today.  Do we have any idea what caused that?  Someone is going to study that, understand the science behind it, and get the honors of naming it after himself.  Like a NorLun, etc.  But then, I'm not sue anyone would want his name attached to such a thing.

Snowman said Paul Kocin couldnt explain it, sucks for those people, seems the northern part of the state is playing catch up though.

I am still fascinated by that screw zone/grass hole over central RI all day yesterday, overnight, and today.  Do we have any idea what caused that?  Someone is going to study that, understand the science behind it, and get the honors of naming it after himself.  Like a NorLun, etc.  But then, I'm not sue anyone would want his name attached to such a thing.

Ginxys dryslut?

Snowman said Paul Kocin couldnt explain it, sucks for those people, seems the northern part of the state is playing catch up though.

He couldn't but he said he will look into it. Has to be something with how the precip. Was hitting us and the land, because as the storm changed over the lat 24 hours, the Screw Hole didn't. As I said. As long as this storm is remembered for THAT, I'll be ok. And if I get a foot.

guys, you might be in for a little bit of a surprise.  The N 10 or so miles of this shield is dry at the sfc...  Wasn't expecting that, but we end in Ayer abruptly an hour ago with level 2 green over us.   This may work its way S - don't know

Love the 1 pixel of 24-30 on the BOX map! Who would have thought that someone would get 2 feet with this???

Snow has slowed here. Looks like we are done accumulating, might get some more light stuff, but time to call it a storm as far as accumulation goes.

Time to do a little math and guesstimating to get a storm total for here. I'm going to use the grass, paved areas are 2" less or so. At 10 AM, we had 8" OTG. At 1 PM, we were down to 7", however, it's been light, steady snow. It's also been melting steadily. The .3" we had in the morning yesterday melted in 30 minutes or so, temps are similar now, so lets say melting is .6 per hour. 3 hours of melting at .6 per hour is 1.8. since the snowpack only decreased 1", we had .8" new in those 3 hours. we also have to account for settling and compaction overnight, I'll add an inch for that and for the .3 from yesterday. So, we have 8"+1"+.8"=9.8" rounding up to 10" because I think compaction might be a bit more than .7" So, storm total 10" unless anyone can prove otherwise . ;) 10" also correllates well with reports from others in my general area, both on the forum and in the PNS from upton. Fellow SW CT posters, what did you end up with?

This was a great storm, what was not great was how Upton handled it. They usually are great, but not so for this, they busted way too low, and then issued a WSW really after the worst of it was over here. Not sure how they think it's going to accumulate 3-5" today, it isn't accumulating much now, let alone at 6 PM.

Overall a great positive bust, really a nice way to send winter out in style!

-skisheep

the RI screwhole was actually well modeled by the mesos in real time...so at least something in the physics that is known. 

Notice how the center shifted to SRI as the axis shifted, it really is amazing and unprecedented in my 56 years of living and studying SNE weather. I have never seen Tan get a foot Oakdale Ct get a foot, Brooklyn Ct get a foot and PVD-WST area get an inch all in the same storm with the same BL layer.

He couldn't but he said he will look into it. Has to be something with how the precip. Was hitting us and the land, because as the storm changed over the lat 24 hours, the Screw Hole didn't. As I said. As long as this storm is remembered for THAT, I'll be ok. And if I get a foot.

That's the mysterious part of it.  It didn't really move with the change in wind directions at the surface and aloft.  Totally bizarre

3" during the day yesterday, 6" overnight storm total 9" Boscawen NH

prob would have been more if I got up and measured earlier, as it is  very quickly compacting here. no complaints from me, i was expecting 5-6" but have to say i am very jealous of you guys in SNE

You are in Boscawen?  I'm just down the road 4 miles....We got only 6 here, you guys got into some heavier echoes I guess, a little further se.

At 1 pm, Boston's snowfall was 12.8". That brings the February-March figure to 46.8" (6th highest figure on record) and seasonal total to 55.6".  Boston's March figure of 12.8" is the highest for that month since 2005 when 14.5" fell for the month.

ORH has not provided any additional reports since 7 am when the Airport reported 16.3".

Not sure how much more will accumulate with my temp at 33 but I just measured 7.8" since 0700 for a storm total of 20.5.".  There's 18" on the ground.  I'll have to look but I don't think I've had a single storm record measurable snow over three 24 hour periods.

I did a little shoveling and you can clearly see the different layers - wet, dry, wet but it's not too bad moving around.  It packs well.

Archived