joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 6th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12Z through 18Z model runs don't suggest that anyone should give up hope on 4-6" for DC. 0Z will give more data, but again, up through now, 4-6" is still a pretty responsible forecast for downtown.

I agree here. I just had an hour drive home to think things through. Even if it doesn't fall the way we want (door to door snow of course), relatively slow speed and high intensity will compensate.

We all got a reality slap with the gfs soundings. However,the envelope as a whole looks pretty good. I would be pretty surprised if someone through the cities and 95-west reports heavy rain for an extended period. There is no reason to question that the height of the storm being mostly if not all snow for most. It's a slow pivot out of here too.

I think u and I are poised for 6-8 with bust potential probably higher than lower.

Lol Ok. I just don't always know sometimes on these forums if people actually think these things!

In any case, best of luck to all you guys down there, except for DT of course, who I hope gets a half inch of slop and 3 inches of rain.

You must not follow my stunning analysis posts or you would have known i was joking. I'm sad now. Thx

.SHORT TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY/...

UPDATED...

WE`VE SPENT OUR TIME BTWN 4:00 AND 6:30 PM TRYING TO FINE TUNE

SOME OF THE SNOW GRIDS. I HV SOME CONCERNS ABT THE TIME PERIOD OF

6-12Z WED MRNG. TO BEGIN - THE STARTING TEMP: MDLS ARE GIVING HIGH

TEMPS ON TUE OF M40S. SUSPECT IT`S GOING TO REQUIRE SNOW TO FALL

FOR SVRL HRS BEFORE ACCUMS REALLY GET GOING. I HV CUT BACK THE

SNOW TOTAL GRIDS E OF THE MTNS IN THAT WED 6-12Z TIMEFRAME. I`M

ALSO CONCERNED ABT THE TEMP OF THE AIR COLUMN...ESPECIALLY IN THE

DC/BALT AND E CORRIDOR. THRU 12Z WED WOULDN`T BE SURPRISED TO SEE

THE PCPN IN THE I-95 OSCILATING BTWN RA AND SN - LARGE FLAKES THAT

SPLATTER ON CONTACT. IN ADTN THE ATLC WATER TEMP OFF THE DELMARVA

IS IN THE L40S. THERE IS ALSO NOT A DECENT SOURCE OF CD AIR - ON

THIS AFTN`S SFC ANLYS YOU HV TO GO TO NW QUEBEC TO FIND SUB 20

TEMPS. SO IN ALL FEEL IF ANYTHING OUR SNOW TOTALS THRU 12Z WED MAY

HV BEEN A BIT ON THE HIGH SIDE...SO TWEAKED DOWN.

FEEL THAT THE 18-00Z WED AND 00-06Z THU PDS MAY BE THE TIMES WHEN

SNOW DOES ACCUMULATE IN THE I-95 CORRIDOR. BY REG WE ONLY RUN THE

SNOW TOTAL MAP THRU 00Z THU...SO TOTALS MAY END UP BEING MORE...

ESPECIALLY IN THE E.

WE WL MOST LKLY BE ISSUING A WIN STORM WRNG FOR THE WRN PART OF

THE AREA IN THE NEXT FEW HRS...BUT LV THE ERN PART OF THE AREA IN

A WTCH.

I'm glad that they are accounting for their time spent on their thought process (4:00-6:30). I wonder if that included dinner and bathroom breaks.

MDstorm

12"-17" seems like an unusual range for the bullseye.  How about 12-18"?  I guess you can do whatever you want when you make a map, I just thought that was odd.

I'm pretty sure the higher elevations in VA will get 30+ just like  the high res nam is showing. The numbers from March 1962 would also support 30+ amounts above 2000ft.

I agree here. I just had an hour drive home to think things through. Even if it doesn't fall the way we want (door to door snow of course), relatively slow speed and high intensity will compensate.

We all got a reality slap with the gfs soundings. However,the envelope as a whole looks pretty good. I would be pretty surprised if someone through the cities and 95-west reports heavy rain for an extended period. There is no reason to question that the height of the storm being mostly if not all snow for most. It's a slow pivot out of here too.

I think u and I are poised for 6-8 with bust potential probably higher than lower.

We all are nervous right now-- I am plenty. But, just look at the QPF printed out by all the models-- 1.1" on the low end for us to >2" on the high end. I mean, this would have to be a 1/98 or 2/98 deal for there to not be significant accumulations around here. With those two storms, we knew with plenty of notice that rain was going to be the predominant precip type (WSWatch went up for one of them, but never switched to warning).

I know we often fail in marginal situations-- but completely fail in a marginal situation with >1" of precip that is shown by every single model 36 hours ahead of onset to deliver at least appreciable accumulating snow? No jumping yet...

As everyone else said, I hate the wait between 18Z GFS (when all sorts of doom scenarios can pop up) and the 0Z suite. 

Right now I think something would have to significantly change to go with widespread <6" for the northern DC burbs.  Spotty 4-5" reports in MontCo and HoCo?  Maybe...but I think most people 6"+ for our area. 

Lol Ok. I just don't always know sometimes on these forums if people actually think these things!

In any case, best of luck to all you guys down there, except for DT of course, who I hope gets a half inch of slop and 3 inches of rain.

Huh? It's not a matter of debate. The extra hour of DST sun comes later in the day, when the sun is hotter and the air is warmer. This offsets any diabetes process cooling that the other guy mentioned with extra darkness in the morning. Since the darkness is later in the morning, it's warmer darkness. This effect is even more intense in PA, given your extra lattitude.

This is a weenism from this winter: we have trended colder rather than warmer wrt events. We just did not have any precip to make it happen.

Just call me the farmer's almanac. I respect dtk's remark regarding data, but all we have now is to watch it all play out.

This too. Anybody remember about two weeks ago on a Friday when parts of the DC-BALT area got accum snow when it was about 50 that afternoon?

Right now I think something would have to significantly change to go with widespread <6" for the northern DC burbs. Spotty 4-5" reports in MontCo and HoCo? Maybe...but I think most people 6"+ for our area.

Solid. We would need to whiff on the deform band to go way low. I have yet to even consider that option. Scrape to the north and its colder. Scraping to the south of it isn't even on the cras.

Right now I think something would have to significantly change to go with widespread <6" for the northern DC burbs.  Spotty 4-5" reports in MontCo and HoCo?  Maybe...but I think most people 6"+ for our area. 

I'd take 6" of snow in a heartbeat right now

the GFS initializes at 10:30....unless you are 80 years old or you have to be at work at 3am and you operate heavy machinery, you should stay up

Or if you have a 2 month old and you get sleep whenever you can

I have a 16 month old and she certainly helped me stay up for the Euro the past two nights. I plan on sleeping through tonight's run.

If the soundings from the GFS during Sandy would have been correct we would have received a lot of rain out here. NAM nailed it and we got all snow. I have a feeling its going to be more snow for you borderline-folks than you think.

I'm in the I think it's going to be more snow than rain camp. I'm going by pure instincts and understand there isn't a ton of cold air around but look at the storm a few weeks ago. Dynamics won over and it snowed for a little while in central moco. Last few days have been brisk and its brisk outside right now as well. Just my one cent.

Huh? It's not a matter of debate. The extra hour of DST sun comes later in the day, when the sun is hotter and the air is warmer. This offsets any diabetes process cooling that the other guy mentioned with extra darkness in the morning. Since the darkness is later in the morning, it's warmer darkness. This effect is even more intense in PA, given your extra lattitude.

Wow, amazing that people actually believe that....

<weenie>

On the Feb 13 storm last month, I started out as rain, then some graupel... temps were pretty warm at the surface during the start (38-40), but temps quickly dropped as the heavier precip fell into the atmosphere.  Eventually changed over to all snow and even had some accumulation.  What makes that storm different than this one, wrt, dynamic cooling?  Can the same thing happen with this?  Or was it because the Feb 13th storm had a much drier airmass in place prior to the storm?

</weenie>

WWUS41 KLWX 050148 

WSWLWX 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE 

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC 

848 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013 

VAZ025>027-029-503-504-WVZ055-501-502-505-506-051000- 

/O.UPG.KLWX.WS.A.0004.130305T1700Z-130307T0500Z/ 

/O.NEW.KLWX.WS.W.0005.130305T2300Z-130307T0500Z/ 

AUGUSTA-ROCKINGHAM-SHENANDOAH-PAGE-WESTERN HIGHLAND- 

EASTERN HIGHLAND-HARDY-WESTERN GRANT-EASTERN GRANT- 

WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON- 

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...STAUNTON...WAYNESBORO...HARRISONBURG... 

HIGHTOWN...MONTEREY...MOOREFIELD...BAYARD...MOUNT STORM... 

PETERSBURG...CIRCLEVILLE...FRANKLIN 

848 PM EST MON MAR 4 2013 

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM TUESDAY TO MIDNIGHT 

EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT... 

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS 

ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM 

TUESDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST WEDNESDAY NIGHT. WITH THE INCREASING 

CERTAINTY OF HEAVY SNOW...THE WARNING HAS NOW REPLACED THE WINTER 

STORM WATCH THAT HAD BEEN IN EFFECT. 

* PRECIPITATION TYPE...HEAVY SNOW. 

* ACCUMULATIONS...8 TO 12 INCHES...WITH HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE 

ABOVE 3000 FEET. 

* TIMING...RAIN MIXING WITH SNOW TUESDAY AFTERNOON...CHANGING TO 

ALL SNOW TUESDAY EVENING. SNOW WILL CONTINUE TUESDAY NIGHT 

THROUGH MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY NIGHT...AND WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES 

ON WEDNESDAY. 

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE MID 30S. 

* WINDS...NORTHEAST 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH. 

* IMPACTS...HEAVY WET SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS COULD LEAD TO POWER 

OUTAGES WITH DIFFICULT DRIVING CONDITIONS. 

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... 

IF YOU NEED TO TRAVEL TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH WEDNESDAY 

NIGHT...TAKE PLENTY OF EXTRA TIME TO REACH YOUR DESTINATION. 

ENSURE YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY KIT IN YOUR TRUNK. 

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS HEAVY SNOW IS EXPECTED. STRONG WINDS 

ARE ALSO EXPECTED. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. 

&&

Archived