Newest Member
    Dump Trump
March 6th Storm Banter Thread

Bob Chill

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This regionalism stuff gets old quick.

He's not going to do what I am about to do: formally congratulate you on a surprise event down there. Evolution was key to helping you, which coincidentally altered the outcome further north for those around DC and Baltimore. Nonetheless, because of this and your proximity to the h5 energy, the dynamics were undeniable if the precip was present in your area. Intense upper level lows can do wonders in bringing down ML colder air and serious snowfall rates. I'm not a bit surprised you guys received thundersnow in that area.

He's not going to do what I am about to do: formally congratulate you on a surprise event down there. Evolution was key to helping you, which coincidentally altered the outcome further north for those around DC and Baltimore. Nonetheless, because of this and your proximity to the h5 energy, the dynamics were undeniable if the precip was present in your area. Intense upper level lows can do wonders in bringing down ML colder air and serious snowfall rates. I'm not a bit surprised you guys received thundersnow in that area.

Greatly appreciated. It was certainly one of the better wx-related surprises of my lifetime, if not the best. I must admit that I subscribed to the bleakest of outlooks Tuesday night, along with many of my fellow RIC area enthusiasts. The trends did not look to be in our favor.

I did, however, understand the dynamic nature of these late-season events which allowed for a sliver of hope. When I awoke and began looking at the SPC meso maps for low placement and other features, I was shocked to say the least. As you said, the proximity of the h5 allowed for some of the coolest dynamics/lift I have ever witnessed, and that includes a trip to Boston for the blizzard last month. Within an hour's span I heard thunder at least 3-4 times and experienced heavy, fat flakes. I've always dreamed of looking at a radar and seeing a death-band pivot over my head; I suppose you could say that was fulfilled today.

Of course, this was at the expense of those living in the DC/BWI area. Truthfully, I never like to see that. I experienced a lot of pain during the winter of 2009-10 and wouldn't really wish that sort of thing upon anyone else. Thus, my disdain for the "regionalism" nonsense. I must say, however, that RIC is in an incredible snow drought: no 14"+ storms at the airport since 1983 and no storms over 11" since 2000. That is quite the streak.

Here's to a better winter winter next time around.

i actually thought it was funny and i was in the "bust zone".  none of us have any control over this.  if i missed a game winning free throw then i'd be more upset at being poked fun at.

Makes sense. I just see a lot of it, especially within this subforum itself. It gets old after a while.

That image could very well be in jest. I was more or less making an assumption based on posting history, though.

Makes sense. I just see a lot of it, especially within this subforum itself. It gets old after a while.

To your last post, more times than not an event at one location sometimes circumvents another area, but nonetheless there's no reason to not be happy for you. From a meteorological perspective, the dynamics present were something to admire.

As for the above post here, the regionalism in weather will always happen. People associate DC area folk with snobs and greed in terms of snow, more or less thanks to the 2009-2010 winter. All and all, its bittersweet to see a nice event somewhere else, but it hurts a lot less when weather phenomenon like the heavy thundersnow you had show up.

Thanks to all who put in time and energy tracking and analyzing the storm. Eventhough it didn't turn out as I/we had hoped, it was fun and educational reading through the threads. Now I hope the sunny forecast for Saturday doesn't bust...bring on spring!

Actually, all I will have to do to defend DCA will be to find my flamethrower at this rate.But WHERE did I put it???Seriously, I don't think DCA will get three frozen inches.IAD may be another matter entirely.

I wound up getting about .6 of slop on my car and grass in Arlington VA. I thought it would be tough for DCA to pick up anything starting from 50 degrees in the air and 42 degrees in the water, but honestly thought that the 100' elevation would do more to me than it did. So count me in too for overpredicting this.

Yesterday was the first time I've had it snow for 15 hours and actually steadily reduce the accumulations on the ground for about 10 of those hours.  

I would have to look for the exact date, but remember something similar here back in early 2000's. Snowed all day at 35-37, depth went DOWN. It was also a late season event.

I know the pain of major busts from my time on Long Island and down here. Of course I have also seen it go the other way a few times. There is nothing that can be said or done to diminish the sting when these things happen. The trolling is uncalled for as most of us have been there and/or will be there at some point.

Yesterday was the first time I've had it snow for 15 hours and actually steadily reduce the accumulations on the ground for about 10 of those hours.  

I will certainly vouch for this. It absolutely poured snow twice: from 10:45 to about noon and then again from 1:00 to 2:10 or so. Those two periods were the only times after 10:00 I was added accumulation, and I barely added half an inch both times. My peak depth measurement occurred at 11:15 or so and that was 4.25". By 9:00 PM, it was probably compacted/melted down to 1.5" or less. Of course, after a low of 27* last night, it was an absolute ice rink this morning.

I hope our pain of two terrible winters in a row sandwiched between 3 record-setting hot summers rewards us with a long summer full of 80-85F low humidity days.  Would love 10 or less 90+ days.  

I've been thinking the same.  If we get some semblance of a Nino to set up early enough in the spring, it might help keep things acceptable in terms of heat.  Hopefully.

BTW...I can't f'ing believe some schools in the near-DC metro were closed today. Absolute joke.

What counties are you referring to? I think Prince William and Faquier were closed, but looking at the LWX snow reports there are a lot of reports of 10-11" in Faquier with one as high as 16", so I'm not surprised they were closed. I think there's a joke about Faquier since they always close no matter what, but based on the snow totals, I think you can justify this one. Unless you are talking about some other county/counties :)

I felt bed for them all-- Matt, Randy, Ian and a whole host of others "deserved" a decent event--

Anytime people don't get their climo a few years in a row, as fellow weather hobbiest, you must feel for them.

I'd never of guessed that ROA, LYH, RIC beat DC proper in that event.

I felt bed for them all-- Matt, Randy, Ian and a whole host of others "deserved" a decent event--

Anytime people don't get their climo a few years in a row, as fellow weather hobbiest, you must feel for them.

I'd never of guessed that ROA, LYH, RIC beat DC proper in that event.

It's a really weird theme we have going on. St. Mary's country got the state's biggest single snowfall outside of the mountains. RIC had 2 dynamic events this year where the west burbs scored well. Alabama has accum snow this year for goodness sakes. Parts of MS has 2-4 in Jan.

Last year was a central va winter or above us but that's typical.

The real cherry comes next year when Orlando tops us. It may only take a half inch though. 

FWIW--

I'm sure if the EC "won" -- but it did better on my eyeball test.

The EC and GFS tucked that heaviest stuff pretty much down 81 nicely-- even rocked it back SW a little as the event got close. For a while, it looked like Staunton may be on the lower side and they had 20 plus--

In Harrisonburg when I left there was 20 inches on the grass, maybe more-- 15 on paved areas. 81 was clear. It was a little rough on afton mt and the high spot on 64 just near Waynesboro, but other then that it was an easy trip. I pulled over on the top of Afton Mt and it was blizzard like. Tons of tree damage along 64/220 and 151 near wintergreen.

10+ inches as far SW as Lexington--and even Buena Vista, a tick South of there.

It's a really weird theme we have going on. St. Mary's country got the state's biggest single snowfall outside of the mountains. RIC had 2 dynamic events this year where the west burbs scored well. Alabama has accum snow this year for goodness sakes. Parts of MS has 2-4 in Jan.

Last year was a central va winter or above us but that's typical.

The real cherry comes next year when Orlando tops us. It may only take a half inch though. 

Weird--

Even think about Jan 17-18th event.

Confluence kept is south of DC even thought it was not cold.... we had over an inch of rain here that event before the flip.

I'm thankful to have topped 8 inches this year-- had 9 last year.

Archived