• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Feb 13: The little storm that could (for some)

Ian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw more snow last night than I'd expected.  Rain turned to snow about 5 pm and continued to about 8 before it lightened up and eventually stopped.  Was able to accumulate on elevated surfaces and grass.  Over 1/2-inch, but I'm going to round down to 1/2 - this winter just doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

I just measured 1.25" and it is still snowing very lightly.

It snowed lightly and flurried until 11:15pm last night. That's over 6 hours of snow with at least 2 hours of that SN or SN+ here in Clarksburg for a total of 0.6". I'd guess it would have been 3-4" if the lower levels were 5F cooler. I'll be curious to see what the water equivalent was for the storm.

It snowed lightly and flurried until 11:15pm last night. That's over 6 hours of snow with at least 2 hours of that SN or SN+ here in Clarksburg for a total of 0.6". I'd guess it would have been 3-4" if the lower levels were 5F cooler. I'll be curious to see what the water equivalent was for the storm.

BWI & Science Center had .31 - .33. I got into a pretty good band last night but my gauge doesn't do snow. Based on other obs in the area I would think moco is in the .25-.30 range. And yes, 5 degrees would have made a huge difference. And might have ended the streak because dca recorded .19. But then again, that might only be .8" of snow even in perfect conditions. 

NAM got the temp profiles better, GFS had the track better...and both the GFS and the NAM corrected to lower precip totals in the last day or two.  Euro didn't even have the storm reaching us for a few days when the GFS did.  Euro was hardly superior in this situation.  

NAM got the temp profiles better, GFS had the track better...and both the GFS and the NAM corrected to lower precip totals in the last day or two.  Euro didn't even have the storm reaching us for a few days when the GFS did.  Euro was hardly superior in this situation.  

Was it even competitive?

Was it even competitive?

I think that it stubbornly had no precip when the GFS was spitting out 0.5"+ was certainly worth noting and requiring a hedge, and I think most people recognized that.  But as far as track and thermal profiles, the US models kicked butt.  

It took me 1.5 hours to get to work whereas it normally takes me 12 minutes. My coworkers and I were calling each other as we tried every single way to get onto the beltway--and then how to get off the beltway since Colesville Rd (29) north and south were closed. Every single bridge, on-ramp, off-ramp, overpass that were conceivable paths to Silver Spring were accident wrecked or just closed for ice between 6:15 and 7:30 am.

Eskimo...there is black ice all over parts of Balt City and numerous accidents. I wish there was a two hours delay down this way. It needed it.

this. Padonia Road was a sheet of ice near the high school... people were stuck on the hill and couldn't go anywhere. I had to take another route to get to 83

Archived