• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 13: The little storm that could (for some)

Ian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4:15pm: 42 after a high of 46
5:45pm: 36.9  w/ white globules trying to mix in
6:00pm  36.2 becoming more snow than rain
7:15pm: 34.4 all snow with silver dollar-sized flakes
8:00pm  33.5 steady snow; round of mod-hvy snow in last 30 mins, cars/grass white
8:45pm  32.9 best rates of winter 8:00-8:30, approx 1/2" - 1" OTG. Some whitening of walks/streets past 30 mins. 

Mod-hvy snow but flakes smaller.
9:00pm  32.8 lite & steady snow/small flakes; roads/walks lost their white tint.

I looked outside around 8PM or so and saw some of the hugest flakes I've ever seen.  Went outside, it was coming down at a pretty good clip for awhile and gave a light coating to grass/cars (not really on paved areas).  I'd say those flakes were the size of the old Eisenhower dollar coins, for anyone who remembers those (~1.5" across, maybe a bit more).  More like big conglomerations of flakes.  It's let up now and the flakes are much smaller, but some nice excitement!

Lol this was my forecast put out at 7:51 from the NWS, I already have over 3/4 of an inch:

Tonight Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 32. North wind 6 to 8 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible

Lol this was my forecast put out at 7:51 from the NWS, I already have over 3/4 of an inch:

Tonight Snow, mainly before 1am. Low around 32. North wind 6 to 8 mph becoming west after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible

Yeah.. weather is unpredictable

I know that, but I figured at 7:51 they would realize that less than a half inch was not a great forecast seeing as it had been snowing nicely for almost 1 and a half hours already.

It's probably either computer generated or they figured no one would care whether it was 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch.

I know that, but I figured at 7:51 they would realize that less than a half inch was not a great forecast seeing as it had been snowing nicely for almost 1 and a half hours already.

I think some of these accum areas are patchy. Up there maybe less so. 70% of immediate DC area got no/little accum based on obs. Then another 20% might have missed it if they weren't looking outside before it melts. :P

Archived