• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 13: The little storm that could (for some)

Ian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your sentences just contradicted themselves. If you fail to see how massive snowballs falling from the sky coating the grass in a minute excites anyone, then why do you care at all if you haven't switched over to snow?

It isn't a big deal. I am just being bitter.

You live in DC?

No.

Is there a site to get real-time sounding info?  How about 'close-time' sounding info? 

It's interesting that this all changed to snow even in areas that I wouldn't expect.

Here's a sounding from KIAD at 7pm. Everything below freezing until you approach lower levels.

NIEjOdr.png

Just hit 1/2" here in Clarksburg. Temp at 31.2F. I just drove to and from Frederick. Below 400' on the way up at 6pm, it was rain with snow above. Coming back at 8pm, it was all snow but very little on the grass below 400'. Above 500' is where everything was white. My house is at 660'. Up towards Damascus at 800'+, they have an inch on the ground. Very elevation dependent around here.

270 was starting to get snow covered in that 35dBZ band. Rates are your best friend...

Is there a site to get real-time sounding info?  How about 'close-time' sounding info? 

It's interesting that this all changed to snow even in areas that I wouldn't expect.

you can get RAP soundings here: http://www.twisterdata.com/

here's dulles actual at 0z. looks like maybe it's a bit colder aloft than some models had.. tho i think everyone should have expected it to mix or change near the end at the least with rates. problem with model soundings is you don't get an every hour one from the nam etc. a lot of the ones we were looking at were not coinciding with the best activity. 

post-1615-0-82243400-1360805729_thumb.gi

you can get RAP soundings here: http://www.twisterdata.com/

here's dulles actual at 0z. looks like maybe it's a bit colder aloft than some models had.. tho i think everyone should have expected it to mix or change near the end at the least with rates. problem with model soundings is you don't get an every hour one from the nam etc. a lot of the ones we were looking at were not coinciding with the best activity. 

attachicon.gifIAD.gif

Thanks.  That makes sense.

Personally, I had pretty much given up on the best rates so I thought the all-change to snow would happen in the northern tier counties.

The worst black ice for us recently was 12/5/09 after the snow stopped and all the roads were just wet... we'll see how cold we actually get to near the surface tonight.

If we get any clearing in this stagnant atmosphere we can easily form black ice at the surface. Few years ago in a similar set-up I did a 360 on Rt 50 in Fairfax due to black ice. There were accidents everywhere that morning and no salt trucks out bc there was no advisories. Just a quick freeze at the wrong time/rush hour.

Archived