• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

I must say, the cold actually really hasn't bothered me as much as it used to in past years.  Perhaps I'm just dressing properly but walking around Hartford yesterday and last night and going outside just now I wasn't freaking out trying to get inside.  Actually makes me miss the brutal cold I felt up in LSC back in 2006-2007.  

Back when I went there in the 80s, you either took the long walk from Stonehedge over the library (the addition hadn't been built yet so it was an open deck) or across campus past the ponds.  I think they have closer dorms now and you can walk through the library hall way so your exposure is a little more minimized but either way, you have great exposure to the north.  I remember several times looking at the feeble sun and feeling no warmth from it!

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, (and I'm sorry for being OT in a discussion about the cold) I agree some what with your points but I don't agree that midnight to midnight is more representative of an average 24 hour reading.  While it does represent what occurred on a calendar day, I recall their being some validity doing it AM to AM to represent a meteorological day.  As you pointed out, your afternoon high of -3 was negated by the previous nights temp.  In my opinion that doesn't represent what happened during the day.  You almost have to make note of it in your comments, which I do if my min was recorded the previous day.  Anyway, just our opinions!

Like you and others have said, it's important to remain consistent!  I'm sure you enjoy having a long record going back to the 70s.  I wish I had data going back a few more years but I was too young to start.

Temp is up to 16° but should start heading down in the next hour or so (I have a hill to my west).

My big problem with 7A-7A is the same as for stations using 4P-4P.  When the obs time is near to that of the normal times of diurnal highs or lows, the obs can put a one day extreme into two days, two into three, etc.  As one exanple, Farmington's coldest temp in 120 yr records was Jan. 20, 1994 with -39.  Their 2nd coldest was -38 on 1/21/94, recorded at 7:01 on the 20th as the morning of the 21st was 10-15F less cold.

And like you (and I suspect, most met hobby recordkeepers), I note when a daily high/low is outside the usual time, as I did yesterday.  The afternoon -3 was the coldest afternoon max here since 2004.

I took a quick trip down to our local river, the Willimantic at Merrow Meadow. At this point the river is only moving slowly and has a chance to ice up. Other faster flowing areas of this river are ice free. Ice thickness here looks to be about 4-6" and it's seems that the river thawed last weekend as there are frozen blocks of pancake ice mixed with smooth uncracked ice:

FWR1.jpg
FWR2.jpg

A beautiful but cold day in NNE...

Warmer than yesterday's -60F wind chills, as today it was only -40F to -50F with the wind, lol.

Those strong 40-60mph winds were transporting a lot of snow today, and you could even see the plumes of snow blowing around from down in town.  I tried to capture some photos from town but didn't get anything good to come out.

Pretty regularly these gusts would rip through and pick up snow off the forest floor and toss it way up into the air.  When the temperature is in the negative teens, and you see winds strong enough to cause these waves of blowing snow around the mountain, you know its brutal in those wind gusts.

Winds were brutal here this afternoon gusting to 40, almost calm right now made for a nice lumber session from 430 on.  Very dry, I find turning on the shower opening the door turning it all the way to hot and let it run for ten minutes really throws some nice moisture into the house.

I'm skeptical we hit BTV's -19F forecast low for tonight, as I'm seeing some high clouds overhead and the breeze is still fresh, but either way, another brutal night in NNE.

Shortwave is swinging through now, so I'm expecting clouds start to scatter back out after midnight. Might do our damage late when the winds try to decouple some.

Archived