• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

3.6 here. I did 5 miles this morning and if it wasn't ripping windy it would have been fine..I hate wearing a facemask as i feel like I'msuffocating. Have to keep pulling it down from my mouth . Other than that a little cold is great to get out in and get after

try using vaseline

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh really? How many do you get a year? 8f here and I don't get many lower.

Getting down to the single digits is not uncommon for TAN.  Last year, which sucked, I had 3 days below 10F from Nov 1 2011 to Mar 30, 2011

This year, counting this AM, makes 4 days.

From Nov 1 2010 to March 30, 2011 I had 21 days below 10F, with a few below 0F.

meh meh meh, The whole cold up here is nothing that i would consider out of the ordinary stuff we have not seen before, If its not record cold then i would rather it be normal temps, The only thing that makes it more uncomfortable is the winds have been quite steady over the period, -3F was the low up here

I see Feb 79 pulled it off, now.

Lived in Ft.Kent then, hed 8 in a row with highs -2 to -7, and like this week, the wind never quit.  My coldest morning in that streak was -22, rather modest for that location.  In Rangeley they had some calm mornings with lows in the mid -30s.  Downside for that streak was not even sniffing cirrus from PDII.

Highs this week, Monday onward: 19, 12, 2, 5, expect somewhere 10-15 today.  Wednesday the afternoon high was only -3 (recorded high at 9 PM obs time the evening before), and had the wind quit and full decoupling occurred before midnight, I'd have flirted with -30, rather than the actual -16.  Last night was the windiest yet for this windy streak, and we only got down to about -7.

Re: The ice.  This is the oddest thing, but there is still an open stretch on our lake in spite of the cold, when it had previously been completely frozen over under less cold conditions.  The torch opened up a fair chunk of the surface.  

I know very little about ice growth other than what years of skating in New England have taught me, but am very surprised that there is still open water. 

Does anybody know whether there is equation you can use to guesstimate the effect very cold temps will have on ice growth?   For example, if it's 30 degrees it will freeze at this rate, but at 5 degrees the rate increases to XYZ? Or am I just completely making stuff up at this point? 

If it's black ice 3" is safe. This years white ice crap 5" should still be plenty. I always chisel a hole or 2 to check. Currently 8" on the beaver pond out back.

Yes indeed.  I've been out there skating, but it's mediocre to lousy quality.     Timing of the freezes, thaws, and gloppy snow haven't been ideal and even resurfacing efforts are only marginally helpful right now.  Don't expect open ice til March, so maybe a 1-2 day mild up can help with the top layer at least.

Thanks, dryslot. I've run across that CoE table before--we do a fair amount of wild ice skating, so we are very good about checking ice thickness.  I'm just curious about how fast the ice will thicken given the current temps, and whether there was any way to estimate it. 

No prob, General rule of thumb from the loggers up here has been with temps in the single digits or below zero, 1" in 24hrs of ice, Of course that would have a much wider effect depending on how much snow cover there is on top as it insulates, Like you said, Always good to check thickness before venturing out

Archived