• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

As LL aka The Bearded Clam has suddenly vanished,,I figured it was time to start a thread on what is shaping up to be New Englands worst cold wave since 2004..which is etched in our minds forever as something to cherish

You won't find burly ,hairy arms hanging out windows in this thread

You won't find torch talk or  :sun: in here

You won't find whining or complaining about where's the cold. OKX only has me at 26 next Thursday won't be in here either

What you will find in here are highs below zero in NNE..Nighttime lows -20 - 30 and even colder up north,

You'll find 2 days with highs in the low single digits in SNE and maybe a  9 0r 10 degree tickler at BOS

You'll find folks shivering and burning lots of oil, You 'll find people at stores pulling their hoods tightly around their necks, and having miserable, pained looks on their faces

You'll find record lows..wind chills of 30 to 40 below

I now release to you ....the the hounds of hell

msl_uv850_z500!Geopotential%20500%20hPa%

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this is going to be some nasty cold up north.  -20 to -30 for those coldest areas at night...I bet Saranac Lake at times even gets down to like -30F -31F and highs -10C or so.  

Even down here in CT we should see spots get below zero.  

Yup my other locale (Lake Placid, NY) is going to be in the deep freezer all week. It can get scary cold up there thats for sure!

If we have snowcover. Best cold is north.

Even without snow cover, he's probably too warm, although it can be good to lean towards climo when verification matters in case the models trend warmer....In any case, the models currently have -20C 850s south of NYC, so I wouldn't really say the best cold is north. I could see the greatest departures being down by PHL at the southern reach of the extreme airmass. 

Even without snow cover, he's probably too warm, although it can be good to lean towards climo when verification matters in case the models trend warmer....In any case, the models currently have -20C 850s south of NYC, so I wouldn't really say the best cold is north. I could see the greatest departures being down by PHL at the southern reach of the extreme airmass. 

Look at 925 and 950, the arctic boundary sort of hangs just to the north, so best cold is north.

This probably won't rival Jan 15-17, 2009. Three consecutive days with highs in the teens and lows below zero including one morning with double digits below zero right down to the shore.

Had a -26 here one morning during that stretch.  Coldest reading in recent years.

I'm not recalling the 2004 outbreak though...

Archived