CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah it was funny how different the GFS/NAM 2M temps were from 12z on Wednesday. Looks like the GFS ticked even colder. I split the difference and went 15 at BDL but if the GFS is right we'll struggle out of the single digits. 

Yeah gfs isn't getting much higher than about 6 or 7 here for a high if its right. Nam was more like 12 or 13

Looks to me like hills are around 4-5 for the high temp on Wednesday. Even BDL and BOS may stay under 10.. 2004 esque

Won't be as cold or as long as 2004. I got to -18.6F and had double digit negs three days in a row

P n c has me getting to -6F Weds night. Cold enough

You can make "snow" with a cup of hot water at -5, but colder is better

48-72 hours out MOS seems to do poorly with these really cold setups yet before big heat it does fine. I wonder why?

Well MOS includes some sort of bias wrt the current weather I think? In other words, I think it may temper down cold spells if the weather previously was mild...but I may be totally offbase. I probably should know this.

Well MOS includes some sort of bias wrt the current weather I think? In other words, I think it may temper down cold spells if the weather previously was mild...but I may be totally offbase. I probably should know this.

I feel like when we warm up and throw +22 850s around we wind up seeing the GFS MOS throw around 101s and 102s like candy. Yet following a strong cold advection day... 2M temps are like 15F lower than MOS and more often than not the 2M temps are more accurate. I get the skewed by climo but it seems to handle record warmth and record cold differently. I could be wrong here though... just an observation.

I feel like when we warm up and throw +22 850s around we wind up seeing the GFS MOS throw around 101s and 102s like candy. Yet following a strong cold advection day... 2M temps are like 15F lower than MOS and more often than not the 2M temps are more accurate. I get the skewed by climo but it seems to handle record warmth and record cold differently. I could be wrong here though... just an observation.

I do know what you mean. It's sometimes one of those deals where you run with model 2m temps. Wasn't the NAM throwing obscene numbers for BDL at times this year...like 103 or something? LOL.

Love seeing all the MOS numbers on TV though lol. 20/21/22... that aint happening.

NWS is a total joke down here...has 25/12 Wednesday and 26/20 Thursday. This is with 850s of -21C or so. They should shave 10-15F off the highs and lows, and then they would have a better idea how cold it is going to be during this outbreak. 

NWS is a total joke down here...has 25/12 Wednesday and 26/20 Thursday. This is with 850s of -21C or so. They should shave 10-15F off the highs and lows, and then they would have a better idea how cold it is going to be during this outbreak. 

Yeah 12/25 sounds high for you guys.

Yeah 12/25 sounds high for you guys.

It's almost like they forgot we frequently see highs in the teens during a winter cold snap...Jan 2009, Jan 2005, Jan 2004, Jan 2003 all being examples. I think the spread was 15/0 here in Jan 2009 with 850s about 2C colder. Of course, there will be more cloud cover this time. 

Archived