• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

wait...where are you getting the NWS number? 

ZFP...the P&C is a disaster, it seems to change a lot.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on&issuedby=BOX&product=ZFP

I also tend to use N ORH county to verify the airport temps since the airport is on the line of the two zones and at 1,000 feet. I use that to verify my own personal area too for the same reasons.

I still think even using that, the forecast is a bit too warm. I can see a high of like 11F tomorrow.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=on&issuedby=BOX&product=ZFP

I also tend to use N ORH county to verify the airport temps since the airport is on the line of the two zones and at 1,000 feet. I use that to verify my own personal area too for the same reasons.

I still think even using that, the forecast is a bit too warm. I can see a high of like 11F tomorrow.

Oh ok well that's something to consider with respect to my post as I was clicking right on ORH on the map, not north of downtown. doesn't change the situation much though. 

still going to be a bust. 

I agree 850s around -23/-24 even with decent mixing I think it could have a hard time getting over 11-12 there.

Consistent wind chills between -50F and -60F. Sweet.

Nothing like -23F and "windy."

Tonight A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -23. Wind chill values as low as -54. Windy, with a west wind 18 to 26 mph.

Wednesday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -14. Wind chill values as low as -58. Windy, with a west wind 28 to 31 mph.

Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -23. Wind chill values as low as -55. Windy, with a northwest wind 30 to 32 mph.

Thursday Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny and cold, with a high near -10. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 34 mph.

TORCH

Expires 7:00 PM EST on January 23, 2013

Statement as of 3:21 PM EST on January 22, 2013

... Wind chill warning remains in effect from 9 PM this evening to

7 PM EST Wednesday...

The National Weather Service in Burlington continues the wind

chill warning... from 9 PM this evening to 7 PM EST Wednesday.

* Locations... north central and northeast Vermont.

* Hazard types... dangerously low wind chill readings.

* Wind chill readings... values will range from 30 to 36 below with

west to northwest winds at 5 to 10 mph.

* Impacts... exposure to the very cold temperatures could lead to

frostbite and hypothermia.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A wind chill warning means the combination of very cold air and

wind will create dangerously low wind chill values. Take the

necessary actions to best prepare yourself and your property for

the very cold conditions that will develop tonight.

Consistent wind chills between -50F and -60F. Sweet.

Nothing like -23F and "windy."

Tonight A 20 percent chance of snow showers before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -23. Wind chill values as low as -54. Windy, with a west wind 18 to 26 mph.

Wednesday Partly sunny and cold, with a high near -14. Wind chill values as low as -58. Windy, with a west wind 28 to 31 mph.

Wednesday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around -23. Wind chill values as low as -55. Windy, with a northwest wind 30 to 32 mph.

Thursday Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny and cold, with a high near -10. Windy, with a northwest wind 28 to 34 mph.

When I was skiing with my son in January of 2009 at Sugarloaf it was -35F with a bit of a breeze. That makes for slightly uncomfortable skiing.

sunny, just an amazing winter day, really could feel that arctic air deep in my lungs working outside.

Too bad we do not have any snowcover could have been really special tonight even so nws says 9, that might be to high, hope everyone got outside and enjoyed it!

Great night to take a walk once the winds die down a bit, stars should be amazing.

Jan 16, 2009 they hit -50 and set the Maine state record. I dont see any temp data for that site for Jan 2004, I think its a newer site. Should be interesting to watch this week.

The wind never quit in NNE during the 2004 cold snap, so I doubt Big Black would've approached -50. Sopme places in N.Maine got into the -30s then, but a lot of places there were in the -40s in 2009, including -47 at Allagash. Farther south, MBY had -23 as the low for Jan 2004 (had an aft high of -11, though), and -36 in 2009 - with a high of 7 then down to -34 next morning. Much better decoupling in 2009. Afternoon AFD from CAR suggests this week will be more like 2004 than 2009, with wind and some clouds tomorrow and Thursday. Saw a forecast high of -15 for Maine zone 3 this AM. Ouch! That's true snot-freezing/eyelid anchoring wx.

Archived