amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you get out locally at all this year?  

I drove from N NH through VT and back to Greenfield this past weekend and there is not much snow outside of the mountains. 

Twice, Before we lost most of our snow, The base around here is 2" in spots that's it, We have missed on what little snow we have had for the most part in my area, Portland has seen more then i have

Yeah, it's called a thermostat.  My wife and I (and my son) are not fans of heat so we just set the thermostat at 50° in the upstairs where our bedrooms are and it makes for great sleeping temps around 52-55°.  The rest of the house is set at 58° ;)

Down to 1° this morning.  I was hoping for zero, but I'll take it.  Maybe I'll tick down a degree for my 0700 ob?

I actually made it to 0° by 0700.  That ties my low for the winter...maybe we can do better tonight?

Did you get out locally at all this year?  

I drove from N NH through VT and back to Greenfield this past weekend and there is not much snow outside of the mountains. 

Honestly i have not ridden locally in 2 years. Ive only ridden once in the NEK this season. It was pretty good but that was 3 weeks ago. Before

the Torch. The warm up really killed the snowmobiling in the southern areas. Vermont is getting the screw job for the second season in a row. the last 4

winters 1 has been good. the rest have been poor or So so.

Twice, Before we lost most of our snow, The base around here is 2" in spots that's it, We have missed on what little snow we have had for the most part in my area, Portland has seen more then i have

We are supposed to head to Caribou the end on Feb. Im a little worried it will be awful but then again is 4-5 weeks away. A lot can happen.

To each his own, but no thanks. My gf would kill me. It's already hard enough to convince her of 68F. You save a little energy, but you use up quite a bit when you get the temp back up during the daytime. Every object in the house gets down to the 50s so it takes while to get the heat transferred through them.

Now you are in my professional reign and you are exactly right. Folks forget about surface area.

To each his own, but no thanks. My gf would kill me. It's already hard enough to convince her of 68F. You save a little energy, but you use up quite a bit when you get the temp back up during the daytime. Every object in the house gets down to the 50s so it takes while to get the heat transferred through them.

We actually keep the thermostat set the same day and night so no worries about using extra energy to heat things up again.  We have a couple of rooms that we close off so when the heat does kick on, it really warms up those rooms.  Otherwise, we let the sun do the daytime heating.

Looks like it's up to 7° out there already.  We're really baking today!

We leave it at 64F at my house and run a electric heater (Similar to the eden pure) in the living room

where we watch tv

We leave it at 64F at my house and run a electric heater (Similar to the eden pure) in the living room

where we watch tv

House set at 55.  Bedroom at 60 (we have zones).  Kitchen and lounge with wood stove keeps it 65-70.  Save a lot of money this way, not heating parts of the house that don't need it.  Electric blanket in the bed is awesome.

Overnight clouds and wind held these temps up some.................

000NOUS41 KCAR 231258PNSCARPUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME754 AM EST WED JAN 23 2013...MINIMUM TEMPERATURES IN THE PAST 18 HOURS......LOCATION...                             ...TIME...      ...MIN......MAINE......AROOSTOOK COUNTY...ESTCOURT STATION MAWS (724 FT)(GOES)       400 AM JAN 23       -36 FDICKEY (590 FT)(GOES)                      700 AM JAN 23       -29 FNINE MILE BRIDGE (931 FT)(GOES)            600 AM JAN 23       -28 FNORTHERN MAINE REGIONAL AIRPORT (AWOS)     715 AM JAN 23       -24 FLIMESTONE AR036                            630 AM JAN 23       -24 F4 E NEW SWEDEN (680 FT)(APRSWXNET)         611 AM JAN 23       -21 FCONNER TWNSHP                              700 AM JAN 23       -21 FNORTHERN AROOSTOOK REGIONAL AIRPORT        653 AM JAN 23       -20 F2 W SAINT AGATHA (825 FT)(APRSWXNET)       730 AM JAN 23       -20 FCARIBOU, ME (624 FT) (ASOS)                711 AM JAN 23       -20 FMADAWASKA (503 FT)(AWS)                    640 AM JAN 23       -19 FBIG BLACK RIVER (885 FT)(GOES)             300 AM JAN 23       -19 F1 NW CLAYTON LAKE (1030 FT)(AWOS)          725 AM JAN 23       -19 F5 NE MARS HILL (633 FT)(APRSWXNET)         627 AM JAN 23       -18 F5 SE WINTERVILLE (1186 FT)(MEDOT)          525 AM JAN 23       -18 F1 ENE PRESQUE ISLE (649 FT)(APRSWXNET)     627 AM JAN 23       -17 F1 NE CARIBOU (544 FT)(APRSWXNET)           727 AM JAN 23       -17 FPRESQUE ISLE AR063                         700 AM JAN 23       -17 F1 NW PRESQUE ISLE (540 FT)(AIRNOW)         600 AM JAN 23       -15 F3 NW MONTICELLO (574 FT)(APRSWXNET)        730 AM JAN 23       -15 F2 SSW ASHLAND (6030 FT)(AIRNOW)            500 AM JAN 23       -13 F

had a 5/11 split yesterday.  

The wind was wicked...the wind chill was about -10F on average the whole day.  We hit -15F in BUF and -17F at Niagara Falls...I'd imagine some of the lowest values if not the lowest since Jan 04.

The people were complaining about the schools not being closed for the kids...they tend to close around WC of -25F.  You can blame that on the NWS new formula...because I wouldn't have had school in similar conditions lol.  Those wind chills are about -35F in the old formula.

Archived