northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well did a little digging into the cold for a Facebook post and for the inevitable phone calls about it tonight.

The last time the Jetport (PWM) failed to reach at least 10 degrees for a high temp was January 26, 2007 (high of 7). And this is only the 6th time since 2000 that the high has failed to reach at least 10 degrees (three times in January 2004, once in January 2005, and the one time in 2007).

Well did a little digging into the cold for a Facebook post and for the inevitable phone calls about it tonight.

The last time the Jetport (PWM) failed to reach at least 10 degrees for a high temp was January 26, 2007 (high of 7). And this is only the 6th time since 2000 that the high has failed to reach at least 10 degrees (three times in January 2004, once in January 2005, and the one time in 2007).

Cold was a bit more impressive up there than down here. Noting that PWM failed to reach 10F today but we hit 11F....our most recent single digit highs at ORH are 1/24/11 (8F), 1/26/07 (8F), and 1/18/05 (8F).

January 2004 had 5 single digit high temps at ORH.

I don't remember the last time we had a high in the single digits in February. It gets much harder during that month. February hasn't been cold recently...though our last 2 very cold Februarys failed....2003 and 2007. I do remember very vividly that Feb 1995 had a day where the high temp was 5F....but I'm not sure if that is the last time it happened. We might have a shot this coming February as the ensembles/longwave pattern show potential for a brutal outbreak during the first week at some point.

Cold was a bit more impressive up there than down here. Noting that PWM failed to reach 10F today but we hit 11F....our most recent single digit highs at ORH are 1/24/11 (8F), 1/26/07 (8F), and 1/18/05 (8F).

January 2004 had 5 single digit high temps at ORH.

I don't remember the last time we had a high in the single digits in February. It gets much harder during that month. February hasn't been cold recently...though our last 2 very cold Februarys failed....2003 and 2007. I do remember very vividly that Feb 1995 had a day where the high temp was 5F....but I'm not sure if that is the last time it happened. We might have a shot this coming February as the ensembles/longwave pattern show potential for a brutal outbreak during the first week at some point.

Looks like your last February high less than 10 degrees was in 1996, 9 F on the 4th, and then the 5 F on the 6th you mentioned in 1995.

Max/min here of 4.8/-6.3

temp/dew 4/-21 right now so we may be able to do better than that -6 before midnight.

Some fun 12z MET numbers for tomorrow morning...

HIE -39F

BML -37F

MVL -27F

Wow at -39F. That makes local MVL's -27F MET forecast seem warm.

That might make the coldest night in the three winters I've lived here. I'm not sure if I've seen -27F but I have a photo of my car showing -25F one morning back at my old apartment.

If the wind quits there (I don't think it will), tomorrow's low might begin with a 4.  Used to be legal to ice fish there, maybe still is.  I don't think my homemade topwater traps would be too practical.

It won't get that low, Probably high -20's with the wind, The -40's had a crack if it was clear and dead calm

My zone forecast tonight...I love how Friday night's -5F forecast warrants a "not as cold" phrase.

Rest of Tonight

Clear. Colder with lows around 22 below. Light and variable winds.

Thursday

Mostly sunny. Cold with highs around 3 below. West winds around 10 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph...increasing to 35 mph in the afternoon. Wind chill values as low as 37 below.

Thursday Night

Clear. Cold with lows around 18 below. Northwest winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable. Gusts up to 35 mph. Wind chill values as low as 28 below.

Friday

Partly sunny. Highs around 6 above. Light and variable winds.

Friday Night

Cloudy. Not as cold with lows around 5 below. Light and variable winds.

Archived