• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

If you dont know the thickness nothing beats bringing a chisel to test the ice as you go along. A Solid 4" of good black ice is generally more than sufficient for a person from my experience ice fishing. I prefer 5-6" before venturing around too far because 4" doesnt give you much room for inconsitencies.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you dont know the thickness nothing beats bringing a chisel to test the ice as you go along. A Solid 4" of good black ice is generally more than sufficient for a person from my experience ice fishing. I prefer 5-6" before venturing around too far because 4" doesnt give you much room for inconsitencies.

Up here, Our snowmobile club will only mark the bodies of water when safe to groom on as they check thicknesses regularly, If there not marked, You are at your own risk

Up here, Our snowmobile club will only mark the bodies of water when safe to groom on as they check thicknesses regularly, If there not marked, You are at your own risk

That's cool. I like a good 7-8" before bringing the sled out. Seems like most lakes around here are getting there. I like fishing Winni and Newfound and there getting there from the reports I've seen. Wind is a killer getting those big lakes to skim over outside the bays.

That's cool. I like a good 7-8" before bringing the sled out. Seems like most lakes around here are getting there. I like fishing Winni and Newfound and there getting there from the reports I've seen. Wind is a killer getting those big lakes to skim over outside the bays.

Yeah Winni and Sebago are a couple that it takes a lot of cold and calm conditions to ice over those larger bodies of water, Last week Sebago was wide open, I am pretty sure a lot of it has skimmed over, Especially in the shallower coves now after this week

We check our cove very thoroughly, and don't like to skate on less than 5-6 inches of ice.  For the rest of the pond, we are apt to wait until the ice fisher people come  out, as they have those nice big augers and do the checking for us. 

We also skate with these little ice pick things that hang around your neck--if you fall in, you use them for self arrest and to haul yourself back out. Another good place for ice reports is from Jamie Hess at the Nordic Skater--sends out a weekly email report...

This really put out the torches. Impressive

@NWSNewYorkNY: If NYC stays at or below freezing through this weekend, that would be 7 consecutive days. Last time that happened was January 2000. #nywx

Although they may stay below freezing tomorrow, Sunday looks like a freezer-breaker.

Still pretty impressive though.

Winds were brutal here this afternoon gusting to 40, almost calm right now made for a nice lumber session from 430 on.  Very dry, I find turning on the shower opening the door turning it all the way to hot and let it run for ten minutes really throws some nice moisture into the house.

Dry for sure - take air with subzero dews and heat it into the 60s and RH drops to 10% or lower.  (Actually a bit higher than that, because of the moisture sucked out of everything in the house, including my skin.)  Easier on the energy costs to put a pot on the woodstove and keep it 1/4 to 3/4 full of water (assuming your stove has sufficient flat area on the top.)  During bottom-of-winter cold, ours will put nearly a gallon a day into the indoor air.

Dry for sure - take air with subzero dews and heat it into the 60s and RH drops to 10% or lower.  (Actually a bit higher than that, because of the moisture sucked out of everything in the house, including my skin.)  Easier on the energy costs to put a pot on the woodstove and keep it 1/4 to 3/4 full of water (assuming your stove has sufficient flat area on the top.)  During bottom-of-winter cold, ours will put nearly a gallon a day into the indoor air.

Even with -10º dews outside, the dew point indoors wouldn't be subzero, would it? 

Where is our departure guy?

I was out enjoying snow!  This cold has been awesome!!! I actually went outside worked in it and played in it and did not poo poo on the frigid franks thread.  I am sure the next torch thread all the cold lovers will be equally as tolerant!!!:) lol

Archived