Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

got down to 6 here, sea smoke on Narrragansett Bay

I always like when special stuff like that starts happening.  The CT River is icing up in Springfield so that's a sure sign of cold.  If it keeps up, I'm sure we'll hear stories of people going out on the ice.  You know it's cold if ice starts forming in bays and harbors like it does on the St Lawrence.

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's gonna take some time to ice up the harbor inlets here. SSTs are so mild for late Jan. BOS harbor still 43F.

The Charles is frozen again near Back Bay....visible from the train. Looked like it was still open water further down though toward the Science Museum...but hard to see down that way from the vantage point I get.

The river will probably be totally frozen within 2 weeks.

The Charles is frozen again near Back Bay....visible from the train. Looked like it was still open water further down though toward the Science Museum...but hard to see down that way from the vantage point I get.

The river will probably be totally frozen within 2 weeks.

Same with the Neponset here. If the ensembles are right...there will be a lot more ice in Feb.

Not terribly worried about them, but the other stuff I have...I don't know. I just remember my folks in 2004 losing stuff in a similar cold snap.

I can't say about some of your others but, I have 59 arbors, They are quite hardy and see harsher weather up her with no probs, I don't do anything to them, I had read to use wilt proof wrap them in burlap blah blah blah, And when i drive by all the nursery around here they have all there's right in the elements with doing nothing to them and that's what i have done and have had 0 problems mine are 6 yrs old, I saw quite a few ruined by wrapping in burlap, Warming up quickly this morning already exceeded yesterdays high

Looks like it wasn't Tuesday though.  Quabbin still unfrozen in MA also? 

I know that I only starting seeing sheets of ice floating down the river yesterday, so it takes a couple of days.  I would expect that there is ice on the river in CT.  Maybe not solid yet, but it's probably there.  It's sea level from Hartford south and only about 5' above as far north as Enfield so it's not like it's like rapids.

I am surprised that Quabbin is not frozen or has any ice on it:

http://www.mwra.com/qcam.html

sunny

Southport Harbor and all the marsh and tribs are frozen, some beautiful chunks of ice on the shoreline as well.  My father was telling me last night back in 77 or 78 that the sound froze, they would drive there cars down the gut and walk from pear tree beach to weed beach on the ice.

Great blast of winter, looks like one more bitter night before things moderate, I have really enjoyed it and blown through a serious amount of lumber.

Still a pretty average run of the mill cold snap for Connecticut. Daytime highs in the teens happens 3.4 times per year at BDL and 1.7 times per year at BDR with below zero temps at night occurring on average 3.4 times per year at BDL and 0.3 times per year at BDR. Obviously in between those stations away from the tarmacs those averages can be much higher.

I know that I only starting seeing sheets of ice floating down the river yesterday, so it takes a couple of days.  I would expect that there is ice on the river in CT.  Maybe not solid yet, but it's probably there.  It's sea level from Hartford south and only about 5' above as far north as Enfield so it's not like it's like rapids.

I am surprised that Quabbin is not frozen or has any ice on it:

http://www.mwra.com/qcam.html

Guess it took a while to reach the magic 39

sunny

Southport Harbor and all the marsh and tribs are frozen, some beautiful chunks of ice on the shoreline as well.  My father was telling me last night back in 77 or 78 that the sound froze, they would drive there cars down the gut and walk from pear tree beach to weed beach on the ice.

Great blast of winter, looks like one more bitter night before things moderate, I have really enjoyed it and blown through a serious amount of lumber.

thought you hated cold/dry weather? you've said on dozens of occasions you despise it. 

Still a pretty average run of the mill cold snap for Connecticut. Daytime highs in the teens happens 3.4 times per year at BDL and 1.7 times per year at BDR with below zero temps at night occurring on average 3.4 times per year at BDL and 0.3 times per year at BDR. Obviously in between those stations away from the tarmacs those averages can be much higher.

Is that long-term or 30 yr avg?

thought you hated cold/dry weather? you've said on dozens of occasions you despise it. 

Its not my favorite by any means, but I tried to embrace and see no point coming in here and complaining, its the first one in years and I know many of you love this type of weather and its the only show in town so why muck up a thread with my personal opinions?

I enjoyed it.

It kinda does suck if you work outside.

sunny

Moderate?  The lows are supposed to be in the single digits for my house until Monday night lol.

30 yr normals from NCDC on the subzero lows. I had to compute the avg. number of daytime highs in the teens from the 1981-2010 daily data since NCDC doesn't provide those normals beyond number of days with highs under 32.

Yeah I saw the clim20 but I guess the one I'm seeing on NCDC is 1971-2000. Are there updated clim20s on their site?

It was 4.8 sub-zero mornings per year 1971-2000.

Still the coldest weather in a couple of years.  Save for a couple of breaks, it looks to linger so we might exceed those averages but time will tell.

I'm still waiting to hit my average winter minimum temperature of -8°.

It kinda does suck if you work outside.

Moderate?  The lows are supposed to be in the single digits for my house until Monday night lol.

Yes Chris moderate:) not everyone lives in Harwington Ct, we are going from low single digits to mid to upper teens starting tomorrow night down this way, when  I make posts I talk about where I live:) Enjoy man!

Still the coldest weather in a couple of years.  Save for a couple of breaks, it looks to linger so we might exceed those averages but time will tell.

I'm still waiting to hit my average winter minimum temperature of -8°.

There will likely be another arctic outbreak sometime in early February as ensemble support for it has continued to grow.

I thought people would be so happy and great moods because of the cold, thats what everyone has asked for yet the other threads are full of sarcasm bitterness and whining.  I guess in the end its all about snow and thats it for 90% of the people in this forum.

I have said that countless times while people were whining about positive temp departures despite getting a couple snow events in late December.

In the end it is ALWAYS about the snow on here. There's a select few who truly love the arctic outbreaks, but many here will whine about it if there isn't snow along with it. Not that I blame them, I don't like arctic cold without snow either...but for those wishing for the cold before snow...they got what they asked for, lol.

Yeah I saw the clim20 but I guess the one I'm seeing on NCDC is 1971-2000. Are there updated clim20s on their site?

It was 4.8 sub-zero mornings per year 1971-2000.

I don't think they have updated the clim20. Would be nice if they would do that for 1981-2010. I think there is a link on the NCDC site where you put in a station and get all the normals for 1981-2010 but I can't seem to find it now. Otherwise you will have to pull down the raw files which are large and somewhat of a pain to work with.

I thought people would be so happy and great moods because of the cold, thats what everyone has asked for yet the other threads are full of sarcasm bitterness and whining.  I guess in the end its all about snow and thats it for 99% of the people in this forum.

fyp, Its about snow

Archived