CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before our cold stretch takes a break next week, has any ice formed in any coastal areas?  It's always a sign of a good cold outbreak when you have salt water areas start to freeze.

The inner part of Scituate Harbor is frozen. There is some ice on the beaches too.

Could be worse...Van Buren, ME has a depth of 2" right now.

They're kind of anomalous.  Car has 6", still awful for that place on this date.  I doin't think anyplace in Maine under 2,000' has 2' snow yet - maybe near Jackman.  Most of the NW is 10-18", about half the usual.

Think that today broke my string of subzero mornings.  Might also snap the run of sub-20 maxima, though GYX has S.Franklin forecast for 18 and their 16 for yest was dead on at my place.

BOS went subfreezing last Sunday night and has been below since. Tomorrow is also possible and. 60 Wednesday? I remember some winters like this growing up. Deep cold and poorly timed systems that were few and far between. It happens.

This is more than timing, Jerry.  Really .. this season suffers a function of a flow that is top tier too fast.  

When the flow is too fast and persistent, there is no timing.... even well timed systems can't overcome. Perhaps the gradient was whipping mid level winds back then, too.

the cold air looks to be entrenched thru tomm. and bos prob won't see 32 for 200 hrs.

Been a long time since BOS went over a week without cracking freezing. I'm wondering if it was Jan 2004. Might have been 2005 though. I know they didn't do it in 2011 and know they didn't do it in Jan 2009.

Been a long time since BOS went over a week without cracking freezing. I'm wondering if it was Jan 2004. Might have been 2005 though. I know they didn't do it in 2011 and know they didn't do it in Jan 2009.

yeah the bottom end of this cold won't be all that notable when compared to 04 and 05 but the duration is impressive. 

yeah the bottom end of this cold won't be all that notable when compared to 04 and 05 but the duration is impressive. 

Yeah I thought we could match the 2005 peak of the cold, but we came up a bit short here. I used here as a benchmark since I know for radiating spots, it would def come up short. 2005 had some very good radiating nights unlike this current cold shot. That's why we saw like PYM hitting -10F the night before the blizzard in 2005.

In '05 our peak was like 8/-4 or something. In this one it was 11/-2. But duration of double digit departures was impressive and just generally below freezing weather all the way to the coastline.

Having just checked it out for myself, 2005 is the last time BOS went over a full week without cracking above freezing. In fact, in January 2005, they went 13 consecutive full days without getting above freezing. From Jan 16-28.

Archived