CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Tracking the Release of the arctic Hounds of Hell

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 900
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last five days at ORH have been -3,-11,-18,-17,-13   Today will be in the -8 to -10 range I think. Hopefully tomorrow is a bit below

Still, even with that, ORH is +2.5F going into today. Maybe shave off a degree by Monday... then Tues-Thurs some gets added back on

Neverending warmth with little blobs of cold

The last five days at ORH have been -3,-11,-18,-17,-13   Today will be in the -8 to -10 range I think. Hopefully tomorrow is a bit below

Still, even with that, ORH is +2.5F going into today. Maybe shave off a degree by Monday... then Tues-Thurs some gets added back on

Hard to call the coldest 7 day consecutive run in SNE in many years a blob though

Yeah 23 out of 25 months is def leaning one way........but this week has been impressive, impressive because it came at climo coldest this torch with rain is going to suck.

Interesting...Prior to the 21st I was running +3.2°F on the month from my long term average but the past 5 days have lowered my mean temp to -0.2°F on the month.  My average temp is now 26.6°F and my long term mean is 26.8°F.

I think next week will average out about normal so perhaps we can get close to zero at the four major airports. 

Even with -10º dews outside, the dew point indoors wouldn't be subzero, would it?

Probably not, because as the extreme low moisture outside air was heated, its RH would plummet and moisture would be drawn out of walls, furniture, etc. As a rough rule, a rise of 20F drops RH by half, assuming no moisture is added. (This isn't linear; at colder temps it takes less than 20F to halve RH. The 20F works best at around normal room temp.) Even if the air from outside with -10F TD gained enough water through taking it from things inside to raise the dewpoint to, say, 20, at 68F that would put RH in the teens.

Edit: Thru 1/20 the month was running +2.6; it's now at -0.1, and that change had to overcome winter's coldest avg temps, which are just under 12F for those 5 days. My departures Jan 21-25 were -1,-7,-18,-17,-8. Today and tomorrow look to be in the -5 to -8 range and Monday between avg and -5, then the pullback arrives. I'm guessing the month finshes between avg and -0.5.

Before I got my bedroom humidifier, my indoor dewpoint never fell below the 30s no matter how cold and dry it was outside. Now I keep the bedroom in the 50s at night to give my nasal passages and bronchioles a rest.

Those things are a bacterial trap. I hope you clean the entire machine every morning. No wonder you are always sick

Those things are a bacterial trap. I hope you clean the entire machine every morning. No wonder you are always sick

Nah...I have one of the expensive ones with the uv. I get sick without it. I broke the tank for mine last March...never got sick all winter. I got a new one for Xmas...I got the flu a week before. I've been fine since. Without it I start racking up the daily bloody noses and sinus infections from it being too dry.

I spent the early morning out on our town's Coventry Lake with my son as today was the day for the kids ice fishing tournament. There where quite a few folks out on the ice with atv's and ice shanty's. We met up with some folks doing ice fishing and they told me the ice is 8" thick. The lake has about 1" of snow on it from this weeks dusting's that was blowing around in the gusty winds. This made it a bit cold at times when combined with the 13F air temperature.

LCI1.jpg

LCI2.jpg

Later on we visited Merrow Meadow on The Willimantic River and I was able to walk across the ice. Ice thickness here looks to be about 6" at least:

FWR.jpg

I spent the early morning out on our town's Coventry Lake with my son as today was the day for the kids ice fishing tournament. There where quite a few folks out on the ice with atv's and ice shanty's. We met up with some folks doing ice fishing and they told me the ice is 8" thick. The lake has about 1" of snow on it from this weeks dusting's that was blowing around in the gusty winds. This made it a bit cold at times when combined with the 13F air temperature.

Later on we visited Merrow Meadow on The Willimantic River and I was able to walk across the ice. Ice thickness here looks to be about 6" at least:

How's Bidwell Tavern lately? Used to go to Uconn and Bidwell was always fun.

How's Bidwell Tavern lately? Used to go to Uconn and Bidwell was always fun.

I haven't been there in a while, but they are doing well and are usually very buzy, especially during the summer lake season. They have great wings and prime rib.

>

I spent the early morning out on our town's Coventry Lake with my son as today was the day for the kids ice fishing tournament. There where quite a few folks out on the ice with atv's and ice shanty's. We met up with some folks doing ice fishing and they told me the ice is 8" thick. The lake has about 1" of snow on it from this weeks dusting's that was blowing around in the gusty winds. This made it a bit cold at times when combined with the 13F

FWR.jpg

Braver than me. I would never walk across a river as apparently wide as that one. Too many variables with ice over moving water.

Archived