• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Storm Obs and discussion 1/15-1/16

Mr Torchey

seems BDR is high in every event now, where as in the past they were always low. Heck, Blizz of 96, they only reported 15-16 inches while it was clear there was close to 20-22 for most spots. I live about 5-7 miles away from there BTW....

I was 8 on the nose I believe, but they have been higher in every other event this year which is a total reversal of every other season, thats why it seemed odd.

The only thing I'd say is that we cant rule those totals from the other events being reality. Even if they are only 5-7 miles northeast of you, they are still in a more favorable location, and those changeover events plus the 12/29 event play into being further northeast. I havent been around this area long enough and am surprised by the 8" discrepancy between myself and bdr, but I personally dont doubt it.

On a side note, i woke up to what looked like a rain/sleet/snow mix at 3am with wet roads outside. We must have changed to a burst of snow because I woke up at 830 and the roads needed to be plowed. I'll take it.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well BOS and ORH didn't quite work out. Just NW of BDL had near 5" and PVD had just over 3" it seems so pretty decent there. ORH didn't quite get into the good stuff long enough, and I was too bearish for BOS. However, those numbers looked to be in jeopardy after the 18z runs..just didn't care to change.

The only thing I'd say is that we cant rule those totals from the other events being reality. Even if they are only 5-7 miles northeast of you, they are still in a more favorable location, and those changeover events plus the 12/29 event play into being further northeast. I havent been around this area long enough and am surprised by the 8" discrepancy between myself and bdr, but I personally dont doubt it.

On a side note, i woke up to what looked like a rain/sleet/snow mix at 3am with wet roads outside. We must have changed to a burst of snow because I woke up at 830 and the roads needed to be plowed. I'll take it.

As brian will agree in years past BDR was always low,and I mean very low to surrounding totals in sw ct, this year they have been higher than most surrounding totals in similiar areas. Hey,more power to them!  I get confused where the actual measurments are taken, down at the beach or inland,Ryan said inland so that makes more sense.  Congrats on the snow, now lets get more!!

Just seemed odd because Grinch is in Shelton at a very nice elevation and further inland and measured the same, normally he would almost double there total in marginal setups, but Ryan said something about sleet working in from the nw earlier on dual pol.

-SN in AUG since about 6 AM, 1/2" or so accum, forecast is 4-6" but it needs some giddyup to get there. Snow hadn't reached my place when I headed south just before 7, and I met first flakes 5 miles from home. Pretty slippery in the AUG area, with numerous spinouts reported - only two snowless weeks and people forget how to drive?

Amazing uniformity with totals. 3-5 inches everywhere

Yeah orography was really not a factor at all in this one.  I like these because they feel like a win for the valley areas.  The hi-res models and SREFs were forecasting highest probs in the usual spots, which is a reasonable thing to build into the models, but it goes to show the value of pattern recognition.  You almost need high-level algorithms trained to recognize storm types that then initiate the hi-res models with certain parameters.  

highest total I could find.

POMFRET CENTER         5.2   814 AM  1/16  GENERAL PUBLIC

that lines up well with Garth getting an inch more than me , that was a sick burst they got around 5 this morning from Griswold exit 86 to Woodstock. 395 was clear by the time I came in but an SUV snapped a huge road sign and a tractor trailer was way in the woods on exit 86 Northbound.

Did well up here in Ayer -  just shy of 4" ...very close.   We had some pingers at some point in the night, but it was all snow between 7-8am just before it ended.  It's now 31F and freezing drizzle - though it is interesting that the "freezing" seems hesitant.   

Archived