Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Storm Obs and discussion 1/15-1/16

Mr Torchey

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

High of 31.8 today.. Solid layer of ice on top of the snow just locking it in. Pines sagging like Rays boobs. More snow tomorrow night. More next Tuesday with the coastal. Deep deep winter for weeks and weeks

Just epic times in New England...a 2-6" snowfall in mid-January is really something special. Especially if we add nickel to dime over the next week, potentially pushing widespread snow depths of 4-12" by late January.

That's just epic deep, deep winter stuff.

;)

Just epic times in New England...a 2-6" snowfall in mid-January is really something special. Especially if we add nickel to dime over the next week, potentially pushing widespread snow depths of 4-12" by late January.

;)

You're right though, sadly. We've been nickled and dimed up to near normal for snowfall but its been about as spread out and anticlimactic as possible.

Earlier today I was laughing at how much emotional investment I had in a storm that I expected to drop 3".

You're right though, sadly. We've been nickled and dimed up to near normal for snowfall but its been about as spread out and anticlimactic as possible.

Earlier today I was laughing at how much emotional investment I had in a storm that I expected to drop 3".

Our expectations and thoughts about what is "deep winter" have been lowered so much at this point that a below normal week coupled with a few relatively minor snowfalls (by New England standards) of 6" or less, is possibly being termed as "epic."

Go back and read the threads from January 2011...people were "meh" about 6-8 inch events by the end of the month lol.

;)

Many of us have had nearly foot of snow in the last storm and it was very special. It may be your climo to have feet of snow at 850 feet on the ground in mid Jan but most of us in SNE at 850 and lower it's like 4-6 inches. You can't compare apples to oranges. Then again it's Jan 16 not March 16 th

Many of us have had nearly foot of snow in the last storm and it was very special. It may be your climo to have feet of snow at 850 feet on the ground in mid Jan but most of us in SNE at 850 and lower it's like 4-6 inches. You can't compare apples to oranges. Then again it's Jan 16 not March 16 th

My snowpack climo really isn't that much different from a lot of interior New England...in fact a lot of spots further south and east average quite a bit more depth than here in town. We average more snowfall and probably have more days with flakes in the air than 90% of New England, but I'll be the first to admit a spot like Dendrite's is much better for snowpack.

That wasn't really the point Steve...it's more that every single upcoming pattern seems to get hyped as the next greatest thing; why can't it just be called like it is... often these "epic" and deep winter stuff just turns into an average period of winter for New England climo. And there's nothing wrong with average ;)

Then again, there's nothing wrong with dreaming and the anticipation of what might be.

My snowpack climo really isn't that much different from a lot of interior New England...in fact a lot of spots further south and east average quite a bit more depth than here in town. We average more snowfall and probably have more days with flakes in the air than 90% of New England, but I'll be the first to admit a spot like Dendrite's is much better for snowpack.

That wasn't really the point Steve...it's more that every single upcoming pattern seems to get hyped as the next greatest thing; why can't it just be called like it is... often these "epic" and deep winter stuff just turns into an average period of winter for New England climo. And there's nothing wrong with average ;)

Then again, there's nothing wrong with dreaming and the anticipation of what might be.

I would die for average.

picked up about 3 inches today...it was really coming down around 6am...but then we went over to drizzle...my temp has said 32.0 all day...hasn't budged an inch...it's quite possible i need to change the battery...but it didn't even get warm enough to melt the snow off the trees...so 32 seems like it fits

Total here was 5.2. I was surprised, because at 2.5 inches, the radar looked like the entire thing was going to fall apart, and the snow really lightening. But, the radar ended up filling in and our heaviest snow actually came at 5-6pm tonight. Looks nice now, and most importantly, we have fresh snow before the cold comes.

picked up about 3 inches today...it was really coming down around 6am...but then we went Iover to drizzle...my temp has said 32.0 all day...hasn't budged an inch...it's quite possible i need to change the battery...but it didn't even get warm enough to melt the snow off the trees...so 32 seems like it fits

I drove back from Boston tonight and from Gardner to Greenfield the temperature was steady 31F, never seen that before.

Archived