Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for the group: Does anybody believe that if we see snow, it will be from one big event, rather than a lot of smaller events spread out over a long period of winter weather?

If I missed anyone's thoughts on it, sorry about that. Please feel free to link me to them!

TIA!

I think it will be from one big event.

Question for the group: Does anybody believe that if we see snow, it will be from one big event, rather than a lot of smaller events spread out over a long period of winter weather?

If I missed anyone's thoughts on it, sorry about that. Please feel free to link me to them!

TIA!

For what it's worth I think it depends on the PNA.  If we get some good timing with a great big tall ridge off the west coast I guess we can get a nice storm.  If we're dealing with flatter waves and sliders, depending on HIGHS, CAD, etc I think we get blanked.  Funny I think I'm with Brick, it's probably a nice storm or nothing.  But it's the result of how big we can get a ridge out west to amplify the storms coming through. 

I know that IMBY questions are a big no-no, but I really need to know if this coming Friday looks to be a complete washout. Since there isn't much going on weather-wise, I was hoping that someone would be nice enough to give me their opinion. We're having a big bonfire party for my daughter's 15th birthday. Now I'm wondering if we're going to have to cancel/reschedule.

:unsure:

Maybe we should have a pool party Saturday instead. lol

TIA!

Well, not that your interested in a sub/sub amateur's thoughts, but that doesn't seem to stop me, sorry.  Depends on how my thoughts on it all are blended, and which me spouts them.  If I mix in Robert, Larry, Bob, and the other great mets, shake and stir....we get possible turn to cold before June, with possible chances, even to the point of stringing some good storms together if we are lucky, or maybe one good storm in Feb/Mar. 

Just Tony says the ridge is the feature of the winter so far, but some cold will come and push it aside long enough for one good storm, and a  icing event around the SE.  Evil Tony says the ridge is the thing, along with the rains, and we will dance with it all winter, it'll take some real fine lucky timing and we'll probably end up with lots of zrain for our main course, if there is a course, because of marginal cold, with marginal chances.  T

Thanks for the responses guys.  I found some more data, corroborating the earlier thoughts.

TIA!

I believe...we're either going to get one big snow or nothing at all.

That's our only chance, a 7 or 10 day period where we cash in on a big storm. It happened in Jan 2000, maybe it can happen again. But it's either going to be one huge storm or nothing at all.

Doesn't look that way. I keep hoping for one huge storm. There is always something that screws it up.

Enjoy the warmup this week. I think we could go from one extreme to another for the last 10 days of January. Just need to have the timing right and it cold enough for a big storm. Going to be all or nothing this winter.

Looks like we'll warm up next week, but then it'll cool down again. Not sure it will be cold enough for any snow around here, though. I am thinking more and more that we are either going to have an awesome week of some huge storms like in Jan 2000 or nothing at all. I just don't see getting three or four storms this winter. It's either going to be one or two big time snows or nothing at all.

It looks like this winter overall will suck, but all we need is the timing right for about a week and maybe we can cash in on one huge storm. This is from the thread on tidbits from the web.

Well, there was a big warmup the first part of Jan 2000, too. Maybe we could just have a repeat of that winter this Jan. I'll take a huge storm to make up for not having anymore storms.

I was talking about what happened here in January 2000. The first part of the month was warm. And the winter overall was terrible. But we still had two big snows, including the record one the last week of January then. Just saying that is what gives me hope.

Well, this "national championship" game is over after the first quarter.  This is going to be the biggest beating ever.  The BCS sucks and really needs to change.

Such a simple solution but since money outweighs common sense this is what we are stuck with. Bad news is it's getting worse as we proceed to these 4 big super-conferences. I fully expected Bama to put the smackdown on ND. ND wouldn't have went 500 in the SEC this year and the same goes for OSU.

I bet they hold!  Am I the only one that is the least bit positive about getting a stretch where the SE can cash in.  I don't feel like we are going to get a 6 week stretch of cold/wintery setup but I do feel like we will get atleast 1 maybe 2 7-10 day stretches.

Plus, Burger will be in Cali, odds are it snows while he is gone  :snowing:

Bank on it. This happened in Jan. 2010 when I was in Vegas. Granted it was a flizzard but it was the only snow we saw during that vodka cold snap.  

Archived