amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to throw this out there. Since this past year or so has been a rather weird year in weather with rare happenings and far from normal stuff going on I can't help but think it could be a winter where get our latest significant snowfall in many years here in the SE! Just a thought but nothing we surprise me anymore when it comes to weather...something along the line of march 93??

Got to throw this out there. Since this past year or so has been a rather weird year in weather with rare happenings and far from normal stuff going on I can't help but think it could be a winter where get our latest significant snowfall in many years here in the SE! Just a thought but nothing we surprise me anymore when it comes to weather...something along the line of march 93??

AAHHHH..March of 93, we can never have a thread without a reference to this epic storm. Every time I see it on the screen the memories come pouring back. Two days before the storm, I was sunbathing by the pool. I was in my mid 20's and had paid no nevermind to the news forecasting possible bad weather. I worked in a honky tonk hotel bar that sat just off an I75 exit. It was the best 4 day party I've ever thrown. I think I remember having 26 stranded people staying in my condo the first night of the storm. Most of them were police officers in town for a seminar but that didnt dampen the party a bit. Cases of beer stored in the snow out side that backdoor on the porch and serving boiled shrimp from the hotel on an ironing board because a didn't own a real table. Had to bunk people up in the bar because the hotel was full. Yes alot of fun, true southern hospitality and good memories from that storm.

I'll have to more thoughtfully parse my literary discourse (you wouldn't try to make something out of that, would you?) from now on..  Due to your uncanny ability to mine the minutiae in my letters, to twist my words into reputation wrecking balls, (dang, can I even say balls around you?), you've pretty much ruined everything for me for the rest of my life.  My work, ( working to help you, working to work my destruction), is done.  I'll stand aside now, to save whatever is left, if anything, and watch from afar, as you lure some other misbegotten soul into your treacherous web.....and, anyway, I think I'm picking up litter on the side of  the road for a few weeks. 

The mask is cool, though.  The cats like it.  I have bad scratches on my face where they attack it in the night, and my pup went for my jugular this morning when I sat up unexpectedly.  Helps hone the reflexes.  And I'll need those, as I'm lead on the sleet patrol, and on call 24/7.  It sounds like the atmosphere is trying to turn it's self completely over, in response to the large object passing well within the orbit of the moon, and the jet streams will descend dangerously close to the earth, as in The Hab Theory, and a snowacane will form off Savannah.   I'm pretty excited............ (can I even say that?)  T

This exchange has provided me with an awesome visual  :lol:     

Since everyone is in the whole long-range discussion mode, I think these will be of great interest to you.  I still don't believe it currently.

Image:

400x266_01041751_weekthree.jpg

And this "amazing" blog:

http://theweathercentre.blogspot.de/2013/01/arctic-trifecta-could-lead-to-brutal.html (arctic-trifecta-could-lead-to-brutal.html)

:lmao:

A severe arctic outbreak will press east across the nation, and anomalous high pressure will build in its wake, holding the nation in a deadly Arctic outbreak. This forecast certainly shows some McFarland characteristics, but for now we will just focus on the cross-polar flow.

lol, carry on.

:lmao:

A severe arctic outbreak will press east across the nation, and anomalous high pressure will build in its wake, holding the nation in a deadly Arctic outbreak. This forecast certainly shows some McFarland characteristics, but for now we will just focus on the cross-polar flow.

I think the whole "deadly arctic outbreak" deal is worse than weenies on weather forums.  My God, talk about fear mongering huh?  Guess he got that since "so many people died in India for being 50 degrees the coldest since the 1960s!" lol.

Since everyone is in the whole long-range discussion mode, I think these will be of great interest to you.  I still don't believe it currently.

Image:

400x266_01041751_weekthree.jpg

And this "amazing" blog:

http://theweathercentre.blogspot.de/2013/01/arctic-trifecta-could-lead-to-brutal.html (arctic-trifecta-could-lead-to-brutal.html)

lol, carry on.

ah, but of course...the SSW. that will certainly save our winter just like it saved last year's...so far so good. Seriously though I do think winter will pick up somewhere after the 15th of January, probably Feb 1st on ;)

ah, but of course...the SSW. that will certainly save our winter just like it saved last year's...so far so good. Seriously though I do think winter will pick up somewhere after the 15th of January, probably Feb 1st on ;)

I'm thinking around the 20th of Jan we will see more cold.  Not sure about storms with it though.  Definitely not deadly arctic outbreak stuff either. (unless ice storms/major snow storms get to the elderly etc)

I'm ashamed of what this place has turned into. Wishcasting has ruined this forum. I remember the days when we actually had real discussions about science. What we now have is a forum overrun with weenies who look for something positive even when it's not there. I'd love to see some real discussion about reality for a change. We haven't had anything close to a good pattern in nearly two years yet everyday I read about how there is potential. I'm disgusted and not that many would miss me as I rarely post anymore due to this but I'm pretty much done with this place.

This exchange has provided me with an awesome visual  :lol:     

Lol, :)  I keep throwing out the Hab Theory but get no bites :)  It is a great weather fantasy novel, where the jets flash freeze the ground from time to time and a stationary snowacane sets up in the Atlantic, and puts the whole east coast into an ice age within days....like 20 feet of snow and not stopping, lol.  I loved it!  Sure, we'd all die, but what a way to go.  At least as good as the  Restaurant at the End of the Universe :)  If any one knows Adams.  T

Lol.  Look at all the mouse ears...is that Disney World?

YOu're too much, man :)

Seriously, if you do seriously....do you remember way, way back that things were all that different from the last few years?  Feast or famine, is what I remember.  Years in row with snow, and years in a row with no go.  Was Carolina all that different?  I just remember a lot more years of disappointment, than years of plenty.  We've a few years of plenty, and now a year and a 10th of famine, but that seems normal to me.  No reason to panic.  I told Marietta last year it seemed normal with all the heat, and it did right up until the end of Feb.  That's when it went abnormal, because I don't remember many wall to wall torches.  But I do remember two month torches, and 40 day torches before the winter came.  And so far this winter has been pretty normally cold down here.  What do you think?  T

Lol.  Look at all the mouse ears...is that Disney World?

YOu're too much, man :)

Seriously, if you do seriously....do you remember way, way back that things were all that different from the last few years?  Feast or famine, is what I remember.  Years in row with snow, and years in a row with no go.  Was Carolina all that different?  I just remember a lot more years of disappointment, than years of plenty.  We've a few years of plenty, and now a year and a 10th of famine, but that seems normal to me.  No reason to panic.  I told Marietta last year it seemed normal with all the heat, and it did right up until the end of Feb.  That's when it went abnormal, because I don't remember many wall to wall torches.  But I do remember two month torches, and 40 day torches before the winter came.  And so far this winter has been pretty normally cold down here.  What do you think?  T

Much more no than snow.  Outside of the mountains we are lucky to get two days of seriously accumulating snow per year. In fact that would be a good year. Most times we get what I call spit and splat. Sloppy wet flakes mixed with rain at a rate that 12 hours might give you a dusting on elevated surfaces.  If your happiness depends on snow you have two choices.  Move or get seriously medicated.

Thinking about moving to Arkansas.

SPE.gif Special Statement SPE.gif

Statement as of 12:50 AM CST on January 05, 2013

... Isolated areas of winter weather could create hazardous driving
conditions overnight... 

An area of light rain... light sleet and possibly light snow... will
move over parts of central and northern Arkansas. Temperatures in
some locations will be around freezing... and the rain mixed with
winter weather could create slick spots on roadways... elevated
roadways... bridges and overpasses. The Little Rock area may see
some slick spots on area bridges and elevated highways. Area
motorists should use extra caution while driving tonight. Bridges
and overpasses may become slick and driving conditions could
become hazardous in spots. After sunrise... temperatures are
expected to slowly rise above freezing and minimize any areas that
become treacherous.

Just finished up moving. I'm still in dahlonega and only moved 2 miles up the road. But most importantly for here in ga, moved up 200 more feet in elevation to 1,700 ft. No that's not why I moved. Had a chance to get more property.

I don't have my weather station reinstalled yet as its just sitting on my front porch. Lol.

Just finished up moving. I'm still in dahlonega and only moved 2 miles up the road. But most importantly for here in ga, moved up 200 more feet in elevation to 1,700 ft. No that's not why I moved. Had a chance to get more property.

I don't have my weather station reinstalled yet as its just sitting on my front porch. Lol.

Congrats on the new place! We know you didn't move because of elevation ;) Look forward to some obs from 1,700 ft. lol

I'm ashamed of what this place has turned into. Wishcasting has ruined this forum. I remember the days when we actually had real discussions about science. What we now have is a forum overrun with weenies who look for something positive even when it's not there. I'd love to see some real discussion about reality for a change. We haven't had anything close to a good pattern in nearly two years yet everyday I read about how there is potential. I'm disgusted and not that many would miss me as I rarely post anymore due to this but I'm pretty much done with this place.

Wishcasting is not ruining the forum.  You're being dramatic.  There's a new post everyday about somebody complaining about wishcasting and weenies and such, and the only place any of that is even close to being true is here in the BANTER thread....and maybe occasionally in the Tidbits thread.  What is the big deal?  It's not like multiple storm threat threads are being started daily and the Pattern thread is unreadable and exploding daily.  This strawman argument of the forum being overrun by weenies is getting old.

And anybody has yet to offer an example of what they'd rather see.  How about this:

"For the next two weeks, it's going to be warm and boring."

And then we won't allow anyone to say anything else until we have a snowstorm imminent.  Then everybody can check back once per day and see no new discussions.

Wanna kill the forum?  Hows about that then?  I'm serious. Suggest something better.

Wishcasting is not ruining the forum.  You're being dramatic.  There's a new post everyday about somebody complaining about wishcasting and weenies and such, and the only place any of that is even close to being true is here in the BANTER thread....and maybe occasionally in the Tidbits thread.  What is the big deal?  It's not like multiple storm threat threads are being started daily and the Pattern thread is unreadable and exploding daily.  This strawman argument of the forum being overrun by weenies is getting old.

And anybody has yet to offer an example of what they'd rather see.  How about this:

And then we won't allow anyone to say anything else until we have a snowstorm imminent.  Then everybody can check back once per day and see no new discussions.

Wanna kill the forum?  Hows about that then?  I'm serious. Suggest something better.

I have to agree with this. Something has to fill the forum waiting on real winter weather. Discussions will be markedly better when there are actual events happening. Until then, all that we have is conjecture and obs of 54 and rain. Hopefully winter is 3 weeks away as some have suggested. 

I've been around since, as long as I can remember. It really was better when we had a core group... and people who don't know anything(like me) knew their place and would stay out of the way. (or they would take the alternate route, try to learn, and THEN try to participate :) ) But, I don't think that it's bad here now when there is actual weather to discuss. Face it, it's just boring as hell right now as far as weather goes. That sucks the life out of any weather forum.

Great post! For crying out loud this is a weather forum, for people to discuss what ever kind of weather we have. And we need to have a little fun also.... I could care less if somebody is wishcasting or posting GFS 384 map it's still fun to read and watch all the comments people post.... we need to just enjoy and be happy we have a good bunch of Guys and Gals we can interact with on this forum!

Wishcasting is not ruining the forum. You're being dramatic. There's a new post everyday about somebody complaining about wishcasting and weenies and such, and the only place any of that is even close to being true is here in the BANTER thread....and maybe occasionally in the Tidbits thread. What is the big deal? It's not like multiple storm threat threads are being started daily and the Pattern thread is unreadable and exploding daily. This strawman argument of the forum being overrun by weenies is getting old.

And anybody has yet to offer an example of what they'd rather see. How about this:

And then we won't allow anyone to say anything else until we have a snowstorm imminent. Then everybody can check back once per day and see no new discussions.

Wanna kill the forum? Hows about that then? I'm serious. Suggest something better.

Agreed, there really isn't anything to discuss weather wise. If you don't want to read useless information I wouldn't read this board for another 10-14 days. We do look to go into a more favorable pattern by the end of the month, that's really all that can be said. Some people take this board way to seriously, the majority, not all, are on this board looking for potential snow events.

Give it a little more time the weather will change so will people's wishcasting! Besides we may be setting up for a Fab Feb!!! lol :snowing:

For all you people wanting cold weather, you could move to China!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_CHINA_COLDEST_WINTER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-05-07-52-05

They are experiencing the coldest national average temperature for winter in over 3 decades:  25 F.

So, for all you warmistas out there, the cold temps do exist, they're just on the wrong side of the globe for us.  Just like last year.  We're just waiting on the "rubber band effect" to send those cold temps back to this side of the globe.

Waiting expectantly...

And anybody has yet to offer an example of what they'd rather see. How about this:

And then we won't allow anyone to say anything else until we have a snowstorm imminent. Then everybody can check back once per day and see no new discussions.

Wanna kill the forum? Hows about that then? I'm serious. Suggest something better.

I largely agree with your post. However, I also can see Marietta's perspective as I do think wishcasting has increased and that non-positive sounding posts don't seem to be as welcomed. I feel that my own cold bias/Lucy/mirage type posts have not necessarily been the most welcomed even though they have been reflecting reality. In other words, they aren't just negative Nancy posts. Even the well-respected Stu Ostro recently wrote about it. If someone wants to post that there will be no snow for two weeks or whatever, he/she should feel welcomed to do so to help preserve the overall objectivity of the forum. Do readers here feel that posts like that should even be made? If not, that is a problem IMO. Not all posts need to be exciting sounding and optimistic. That makes the bb seem too one-sided to me and, therefore, less believable on the whole. Nonoptimistic nearterm posts like Mr. Bob's are healthy for the forum.

I don't want to see him leave because I feel is one of the more level-headed.

Great post! For crying out loud this is a weather forum, for people to discuss what ever kind of weather we have. And we need to have a little fun also.... I could care less if somebody is wishcasting or posting GFS 384 map it's still fun to read and watch all the comments people post.... we need to just enjoy and be happy we have a good bunch of Guys and Gals we can interact with on this forum!

I agree with this 100%....Yeah, it's boring right now, but that is no reason to halt all the posts. Heck, I don't mind seeing 384hr GFS snowstorms in the banter thread. As long as everone takes it for what it's worth. In the SE we hang onto every possibility until it is out of reach. That's what we do...and sometimes we win.

I largely agree with your post. However, I also can see Marietta's perspective as I do think wishcasting has increased and that non-positive sounding posts don't seem to be as welcomed. I feel that my own cold bias/Lucy/mirage type posts have not necessarily been the most welcomed even though they have been reflecting reality. In other words, they aren't just negative Nancy posts. Even the well-respected Stu Ostro recently wrote about it. If someone wants to post that there will be no snow for two weeks or whatever, he/she should feel welcomed to do so to help preserve the overall objectivity of the forum. Do readers here feel that posts like that should even be made? If not, that is a problem IMO. Not all posts need to be exciting sounding and optimistic. That makes the bb seem too one-sided to me and, therefore, less believable on the whole. Nonoptimistic nearterm posts like Mr. Bob's are healthy for the forum.

I don't want to see him leave because I feel is one of the more level-headed.

Larry FWIW-- I enjoy your reality posts!!!  The weather is what it is, and nothing we can do to change it...

Archived