• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

Got to agree with Jason and the others on this.. I think this horse Is dead folks!! Go outside and enjoy the weather folks. Hell, have a beer or two!!

I have to agree with this. Something has to fill the forum waiting on real winter weather. Discussions will be markedly better when there are actual events happening. Until then, all that we have is conjecture and obs of 54 and rain. Hopefully winter is 3 weeks away as some have suggested.

I've been around since, as long as I can remember. It really was better when we had a core group... and people who don't know anything(like me) knew their place and would stay out of the way. (or they would take the alternate route, try to learn, and THEN try to participate :) ) But, I don't think that it's bad here now when there is actual weather to discuss. Face it, it's just boring as hell right now as far as weather goes. That sucks the life out of any weather forum.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I largely agree with your post. However, I also can see Marietta's perspective as I do think wishcasting has increased and that non-positive sounding posts don't seem to be as welcomed. I feel that my own cold bias/Lucy/mirage type posts have not necessarily been the most welcomed even though they have been reflecting reality. In other words, they aren't just negative Nancy posts. Even the well-respected Stu Ostro recently wrote about it. If someone wants to post that there will be no snow for two weeks or whatever, he/she should feel welcomed to do so to help preserve the overall objectivity of the forum. Do readers here feel that posts like that should even be made? If not, that is a problem IMO. Not all posts need to be exciting sounding and optimistic. That makes the bb seem too one-sided to me and, therefore, less believable on the whole. Nonoptimistic nearterm posts like Mr. Bob's are healthy for the forum.

I don't want to see him leave because I feel is one of the more level-headed.

There have been a lot more posts attacking "wishcasting and weenies" than have been attacking non-positive posts.  You're non-positive posts about the GFS or storm chances or whatever are most welcomed because they are based on data and analysis.  You bring a great deal of value to the forum.  Mr. Bob's posts are the same.  They are healthy.  Both sides are healthy for the forum and there's absolutely nothing wrong with posting optimistic or non-positive discussion.  They are both relevant and they both have a place.

And there is nothing wrong with talking about what a model shows 10 days out or what the Euro Weeklies show or the CFS shows or what the SSW might do or how teleconnections might evolve down the road.  Nothing.  That is not wishcasting (and I know you're not saying it is).  That's what this place is here for.

Would it be better to just discuss how blue the sky is today or what 50 degrees feels like or the density of an air molecule?  Most people who post here want to look for and discuss and be optimistic about the potential.  If it were not for that fact, and if the only posting going on was about the current warm up, there wouldn't be a need or demand for a forum like this.

I don't want to see Marietta or anyone else leave, because he and most everyone else are good, thoughtful, quality contributors here.  But all this business about the place becoming unreadable is silly.  I logged on and within 5 minutes, I was caught up on every thread that had been active since last night.  I've been around since well before Eastern closed and the only REAL problems here are lack of winter weather and the lack of mets posting (which will likely be resolved when we do get some winter weather).

I apologize if my comments offended anyone or if I was disrespectful to Marietta.  That was not my intent, and I'm sorry if I came across that way.

I'm ashamed of what this place has turned into. Wishcasting has ruined this forum. I remember the days when we actually had real discussions about science. What we now have is a forum overrun with weenies who look for something positive even when it's not there. I'd love to see some real discussion about reality for a change. We haven't had anything close to a good pattern in nearly two years yet everyday I read about how there is potential. I'm disgusted and not that many would miss me as I rarely post anymore due to this but I'm pretty much done with this place.

Exactly! Why post all the positive factors for an event when we have more negatives? Can't wait to see how this cold air is gonna play out lol.

this has nothing to do with weather, but if you havent gotten the flu shot, now might be the time to do so. iv'e never gotten one, but i will monday. 

I feel like this has been a particularly vicious winter season for illness in general. Almost everyone I know has gone through some sort of awful cold. I'm still in high school and many of my friends went through the holiday break in bed with something nasty. I myself have not been 100% since November, I'm just getting over a bad cold that turned into a sinus infection that turned into tonsillitis. 

this has nothing to do with weather, but if you havent gotten the flu shot, now might be the time to do so. iv'e never gotten one, but i will monday. 

It's shocking compared to the last 4 years. In last year, working in the pharmacy, I didn't see many with the flu, so we didn't fill many prescriptions for Tamiflu. This year, pharmacies simply cannot keep Tamiflu in stock. Tamiflu is an antiviral drug, if yall are wondering. Many don't understand how dangerous and deadly the flu can be. Also, a flu shot cannot cause you to have the flu. So those that say it gave them the flu so they aren't going to get it again are mistaken.

It takes two weeks to become protected from the flu, so some people unfortunately come in contact with the flu virus within this time period and claim the shot gave it to them, while this is not true. If you got it now, you'd be protected for the latter half of Jan, Feb and March. Flu season lasts well into march or basically until april, so it's never too late.

GzfeW.png

It's shocking compared to the last 4 years. In last year, working in the pharmacy, I didn't see many with the flu, so we didn't fill many prescriptions for Tamiflu. This year, pharmacies simply cannot keep Tamiflu in stock. Tamiflu is an antiviral drug, if yall are wondering. Many don't understand how dangerous and deadly the flu can be. Also, a flu shot cannot cause you to have the flu. So those that say it gave them the flu so they aren't going to get it again are mistaken.

It takes two weeks to become protected from the flu, so some people unfortunately come in contact with the flu virus within this time period and claim the shot gave it to them, while this is not true. If you got it now, you'd be protected for the latter half of Jan, Feb and March. Flu season lasts well into march or basically until april, so it's never too late.

worst part of it all is that i think i already have a cold. hope the flu shot still works though. 

Just finished up moving. I'm still in dahlonega and only moved 2 miles up the road. But most importantly for here in ga, moved up 200 more feet in elevation to 1,700 ft. No that's not why I moved. Had a chance to get more property.

I don't have my weather station reinstalled yet as its just sitting on my front porch. Lol.

Oh, lord, now we'll have to hear about all the snow you're getting.  Like Joe, sitting atop your mountain with all the snow in the world, while us peons are whining below, lol.  Glad you moved now, before the coming blizzard!!  Tony

You're non-positive posts about the GFS or storm chances or whatever are most welcomed because they are based on data and analysis.  You bring a great deal of value to the forum.  Mr. Bob's posts are the same.  They are healthy.  Both sides are healthy for the forum and there's absolutely nothing wrong with posting optimistic or non-positive discussion.  They are both relevant and they both have a place.

Cr, you are one of the meanest guys I know, making me have snow on Christmas when I'd never had it before.  It was frightening...I thought it was my last day on earth!!  But here you are right on tap.  I won't forget how you freaked me out on Xmas day, but I applaud you for this.  But I will say this.... Larry's posts are always postitive, even when negative, in so much as he is content when he gives them.  Bob, and Cheez... I don't know... they scare me, lol.  Have you ever noticed how much Bob hates the long, long range?  It's like pathological :)  T

I'm ashamed of what this place has turned into. Wishcasting has ruined this forum. I remember the days when we actually had real discussions about science. What we now have is a forum overrun with weenies who look for something positive even when it's not there. I'd love to see some real discussion about reality for a change. We haven't had anything close to a good pattern in nearly two years yet everyday I read about how there is potential. I'm disgusted and not that many would miss me as I rarely post anymore due to this but I'm pretty much done with this place.

lol. How about you take a day (or 10) away and come back then. It sounds like you need it.

The experienced posters on this board are not looking for positives that aren't there (i.e. Brandon is adding great disco in this lull of a weather period). Maybe you should block posts from users you don't want to read and just move on.

You're non-positive posts about the GFS or storm chances or whatever are most welcomed because they are based on data and analysis. You bring a great deal of value to the forum. Mr. Bob's posts are the same. They are healthy. Both sides are healthy for the forum and there's absolutely nothing wrong with posting optimistic or non-positive discussion. They are both relevant and they both have a place.

Cr, you are one of the meanest guys I know, making me have snow on Christmas when I'd never had it before. It was frightening...I thought it was my last day on earth!! But here you are right on tap. I won't forget how you freaked me out on Xmas day, but I applaud you for this. But I will say this.... Larry's posts are always postitive, even when negative, in so much as he is content when he gives them. Bob, and Cheez... I don't know... they scare me, lol. Have you ever noticed how much Bob hates the long, long range? It's like pathological :) T

Haha! Yeah, I'm a real meanie. :). And I dread reading a mrbob and cheez post. It's because they talk about why the cold isn't coming. And they're usually right. :(

Agreed, there really isn't anything to discuss weather wise. If you don't want to read useless information I wouldn't read this board for another 10-14 days. We do look to go into a more favorable pattern by the end of the month, that's really all that can be said. Some people take this board way to seriously, the majority, not all, are on this board looking for potential snow events.

I'm trying to do my part with interesting posts, even if 98% of the forum doesn't get them.  It's thought that counts and whatever......

Oh, lord, now we'll have to hear about all the snow you're getting.  Like Joe, sitting atop your mountain with all the snow in the world, while us peons are whining below, lol.  Glad you moved now, before the coming blizzard!!  Tony

Mt. Crumpit is nice this time of year.

My responses are moved to the banter thread so as not to bog down the discussion for those that can't handle it.

This place will be very busy in a few weeks.

Agreed.  It's kinda like a team that gets on a hot (no pun intended) streak.  Fans come out of everywhere to want to be part of it.  But, the hard core fans are there through the pain of the losses and the euphoria of the wins.  When we actually get some real threats (hopefully, in a few weeks), you'll find a lot of people come back out of the woodwork.  Not everybody can just enjoy the weather day in and day out and just roll with the punches.  It's way too emotional for some, and so they leave for a while during bad times (read:  warm weather) and then they return because they are drawn and they can't resist when there is the hint of something fun (read:  cold and snowy).

so much for that "torch" many were spending a lot of time moaning about for this upcoming week...

southwesterly mid-level flow clashing with an easterly /NE-erly low-level flow will produce a cloudy sky for most GA, SC and NC areas Tuesday PM through Friday (possibly even Saturday) of next week as two systems produce more rain in these areas...

SOI has recently turned back negative... the massive warm up shown on models has been delayed (as has been the case recently)... maybe some areas can have solid croquet weather (60s) by the 12th/13th or so

still, southeast ridge looks like a tough customer through mid-month meaning for the short term that we'll just sit and stare at the cold in Canada with thoughts of what could have been...

just curious, are some members of this board still hoping for a shift in the "uprights" and good field position for a long field goal attempt or are we going to move beyond that into a more positive mentality and offensive posture in hopes of hitting the deep post for 6 in late January or February?  bottom line is there's still a lot of winter to go and the -SOI + better looking PNA (at times) offers some optimism

Sir, I stay positive no matter what the models show, and I can see that we seem to share that trait.  I can't trust them too far beyond a few days, so what's the use of harboring angst when we really have no idea what's about to happen.  I'm just a natural optimist.  Others on this board are natural pessimists.  It's just how some are wired.  It's not better or worse.  It just is.

However, I think I'm pretty decent at tempering my optimism to be realistic with what I post on this board (as are you).  There are some of the pessimists who react the same way, with a measured response.  Then, we always get the overboard optimists and pessimists:  those who feel we're going to go into the deep freezer every week versus those who think we are destined for days of 80 degrees pretty solid through DJF and the SE will never again have winters like they did back in _______.  It's entertaining anyway!

So, to continue your metaphor:  I am definitely looking for the deep post route or a few quick slant routes that add up to quite a few yards (read:  inches of snow).  Who knows what the weather has in store for us for the remaining months of winter, but I'm excited about the possibilities.  And, I'll continue to stay positive even if we get blanked again.  Why?  Because there's always next year...

Thanks for bringing your good-natured optimism.  I can't help but get a few jabs in at the pessimists every now and then either!   :whistle:

For all you people wanting cold weather, you could move to China!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/A/AS_CHINA_COLDEST_WINTER?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-01-05-07-52-05

They are experiencing the coldest national average temperature for winter in over 3 decades:  25 F.

Here's another article from Reuters detailing the severe cold in China.  It's so cold that over 1000 ships have been frozen in harbors in the east along their coastline:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/05/china-weather-idUSL4N0AA0D820130105

Archived