EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January Banter

WilkesboroDude

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, let me preface this by asking if it's possible to refrain from all the phallic jokes that this picture may invite?  Now that I've made that request, I will acknowledge that some of you will just not be able to help yourselves and will be forced to make a joke.  So, I apologize to those of you to whom this might offend.

Serious question here.  My kids left sand toys out on the deck recently before it rained.  Then a few days later, the rain water promptly filled the sand toy to the top.  A few days after that (you can see that they didn't do a good job of cleaning up their mess, huh?) we had a hard (haha!) freeze overnight.  So, I looked out on the deck and saw this ice formation that had risen out of the bucket.  There was no central support for this, like a spoon or shovel that it had accreted to.  So, why did this happen?  What is this type of ice growth called?  It's like a stalagmite on a cave bottom or something, but it formed overnight rather than over many years.

Anyone have a serious answer to this request?  :pimp:

post-4420-0-72806700-1357680320_thumb.jp

Okay, let me preface this by asking if it's possible to refrain from all the phallic jokes that this picture may invite?  Now that I've made that request, I will acknowledge that some of you will just not be able to help yourselves and will be forced to make a joke.  So, I apologize to those of you to whom this might offend.

attachicon.gifIMG_5784.JPG

Tremors, twitches, choking sounds, cold sweats............I did it!!!!!!!   I refrained from making a dick joke!!!!!!

I hate the term overdue. Its terrible. Just because NC is due for an icestorm doesn't mean its gonna happen. Even worse is the term 1/100 or 1/500 year event. Plain dumb. People said Irene was 1/100 year event then Sandy happened a year later. Florida got clobbered by 4 hurricanes in 4 weeks.

A post like this was long overdue.

Now that I have had my fun, it is an ice spike.  Sometimes forms when distilled water freezes.

Interesting.  Now that I know what to call the event, I found this on wikipedia:

Ice spikes rarely form when freezing "normal" non-distilled water because impurities in the water act as an ice nucleus so the water freezes before an ice spike can form.

Well, we definitely did not have distilled water in that bucket, so it must be a pretty rare event to see it occur with rain water.  Hence, probably why I had never witnessed that particular ice phenomenon before.  Best I can figure, the water must have had a thin frozen layer on top that developed a crack.  Then the liquid water forced it's way out of that crack and froze once it reached the cold air.  Intersting...

Thanks, jburns.

Archived