Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The First Week of Jan..Bitter cold,Balls drop as we ring in 2013

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm always amused at the number of posters who visit this forum from the Mid-Atlantic even when there's no weather happening. I can't remember the last time I posted in another sub-forum. Might have 2/11 in the NYC thread?

It is because we love you and want to hear your thoughts. You should come visit us once in a while and stop being so anti social

I'm always amused at the number of posters who visit this forum from the Mid-Atlantic even when there's no weather happening. I can't remember the last time I posted in another sub-forum. Might have 2/11 in the NYC thread?

i visit all of them.  i know many people from other regions who were around before we had subforums

Well, Seeing there is one here, CT and oregon when you don't specify, Who knows, Portland is on the waterfront so yeah, They don't retain snow well

I remember driving up to Sugarloaf in January of 1996 and we stopped for the night in Portland at the Eastland Hotel, holly cow was there ever a ton of snow in Portland.

I kinda love my zones.  

NHZ008-051015-MERRIMACK-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CONCORD...HOOKSETT308 PM EST FRI JAN 4 2013.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS THISEVENING. NOT AS COLD WITH LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S. WEST WINDS 15 TO20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 20 PERCENT..SATURDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 20S. NORTHWEST WINDS15 TO 20 MPH..SATURDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY IN THE EVENING...THEN MOSTLY CLOUDYWITH A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOWS AROUND 15. LIGHTAND VARIABLE WINDS. CHANCE OF SNOW 40 PERCENT..SUNDAY...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING. HIGHS INTHE LOWER 30S. SOUTHWEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW40 PERCENT..SUNDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT.LOWS AROUND 18. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH. CHANCE OF SNOW 30 PERCENT..MONDAY...PARTLY SUNNY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.HIGHS IN THE MID 20S..MONDAY NIGHT AND TUESDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS 10 TO 15. HIGHS INTHE MID 30S..TUESDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 20S..WEDNESDAY AND WEDNESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S.LOWS IN THE UPPER 20S..THURSDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING PARTLYSUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 30S..THURSDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A 30 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOWSHOWERS. LOWS IN THE MID 20S..FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS AROUND 40.

And they say major pattern change end of next week.  That would be the 12th or so.  Is that for warmth or do they think the cold comes in that soon?

From GYX.LONG TERM /SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...A MAJOR PATTERN CHANGE IS IN STORE FOR THE END OF NEXT WEEK...A QUICK MOVING WEAK DISTURBANCE MOVES THROUGH AT THE BEGINNING OFTHE PERIOD AND IS FOLLOWED BY BUILDING HIGH PRESSURE ACROSS THEAREA. MOISTURE IS LACKING WITH THIS SYSTEM...HOWEVER SOME AREASACROSS THE NORTHERN MOUNTAINS COULD PICK UP ABOUT AN INCH OF SNOW.THE WORK WEEK WILL START OFF DRY AS HIGH PRESSURE WILL REMAINOVERHEAD THROUGH AT LEAST WED. MODELS DIVERGE FROM THIS POINT OFTHE FORECAST...AS THE GFS IS VERY PROGRESSIVE WITH A SYSTEM MOVINGOUT OF THE SW CONUS AND INTO THE NORTHEAST WED NIGHT THROUGH THUMORNING. THE EURO IS ABOUT 24 HOURS BEHIND THE GFS...AS IT HAS THESTREAMS UNPHASED AND BUILDS A RIDGE UP THE EAST COAST. THIS WOULDDELAY ANY PRECIP FROM ENTERING OUR REGION UNTIL THE END OF THEPERIOD. THE EURO SOLUTION SEEMS TO MAKE THE MOST SENSE AT THEMOMENT...SO WENT WITH LOWER POP TOWARDS THE END OF THE PERIOD FORNOW. THE EURO SOLUTION WILL ALSO KEEP SOME MORE COLD AIR IN THELOW LEVELS SO THERE IS A POSSIBILITY THAT NORTHERN SECTION OF THECWA COULD SEE A MIX BAG OF PRECIP BEFORE CHANGING TO RAIN ONFRIDAY...HOWEVER STILL A LOT OF TIME TO SORT THIS OUT ANDUNCERTAINTY IS HIGH AT THIS TIME.&&

It really has been a nice wintry 10 days or so...getting lost amongst the obsession over the warmup next week. I mentioned yesterday I was surprised to see the Charles River mostly frozen over while on the train into Boston. That's impressive considering how warm most of December was.

Indian Lake here is frozen though Quinsig still has a lot of work to do...its a deep and narrow lake. Whats been nice is the snow hanging on the bushes for so long. It has made it look very nice, especially with a lot of people still lightning up their christmas lights at night.

the euro is much above average for at least several days and there's no way you can spin it otherwise

Well GYX is spinning it as barely a warm up for their southern zones.  The highest temp being 40 on one day next week.  Maybe they go warm over the weekend?

weenies? modelologists?  meteorologists?

Well GYX is spinning it as barely a warm up for their southern zones.  The highest temp being 40 on one day next week.  Maybe they go warm over the weekend?

weenies? modelologists?  meteorologists?

The "warmth" probably still gets there, but it is neat to look at the Euro and see that northern New England locks into 850 temps near or below freezing through the next nine days, with Friday being a brief exception to that.

And did you see the "Major Pattern Change For Next Weekend Headline"?

Maybe we hold the warmth off at times with a sfc boundary south of us or weak mixing days that give us highs only a bit above normal, but there is potential it could get semi ugly at times even for us. We don't have a huge snowpack and there isn't a lot of water content in it either. A cutter with a 12hr period of 50/50 and rain will do a number on it.

I'm in a great mood this week. Think about it. We had snow and cold and the cover held. Waterways are frozen and it's cold. For the life of me I can't understand people worried about a warmup that occurs in every winter with the exception of 1993-94 when we had a 2 day hellaceious torch in the first 2 days of February and then back to the deep freeze. Most years we have periods of crapola. Remember the warm period after Boxing Day 2010? Remember Kevin pulling the shades down and covernig his eyes? And remember 2 weeks later (despite my own meltdown...lol).

I've surprisingly thoroughly enjoyed the cold, the look of winter....and many folks around here really embracing it.

Incidentally the OP GFS started hitting the warmup a couple of weeks ago. They get the prize for the sniff and hopefully are correct with the oncoming cold on the other side. For now, enjoy a few more days of winter like conditions. BOS was will be a bit below normal today...making all 4 days below with 2 much below. We will likely be close tomorrow and below again Sunday and Monday. Now I'm not thinking we avoid the torch...there's no doubt in my mind that we hit the 50s for a couple of days at least. So what? Big winter coming on the other side and I think we'll all be happy soon.

I've learned that if you're only happy when you get the perfect snow event you're going to spend most of the winter sad since they are not that common. We get our totals from one or more big storms per season and plenty of 2-4/3-6/1-3 events. And a few 4-8 with changeover. That's SNE climo.

Going to drink to winter's second half tonight. I hope you all join me.

I'm in a great mood this week. Think about it. We had snow and cold and the cover held. Waterways are frozen and it's cold. For the life of me I can't understand people worried about a warmup that occurs in every winter with the exception of 1993-94 when we had a 2 day hellaceious torch in the first 2 days of February and then back to the deep freeze. Most years we have periods of crapola. Remember the warm period after Boxing Day 2010? Remember Kevin pulling the shades down and covernig his eyes? And remember 2 weeks later (despite my own meltdown...lol).I've surprisingly thoroughly enjoyed the cold, the look of winter....and many folks around here really embracing it. Incidentally the OP GFS started hitting the warmup a couple of weeks ago. They get the prize for the sniff and hopefully are correct with the oncoming cold on the other side. For now, enjoy a few more days of winter like conditions. BOS was will be a bit below normal today...making all 4 days below with 2 much below. We will likely be close tomorrow and below again Sunday and Monday. Now I'm not thinking we avoid the torch...there's no doubt in my mind that we hit the 50s for a couple of days at least. So what? Big winter coming on the other side and I think we'll all be happy soon. I've learned that if you're only happy when you get the perfect snow event you're going to spend most of the winter sad since they are not that common. We get our totals from one or more big storms per season and plenty of 2-4/3-6/1-3 events. And a few 4-8 with changeover. That's SNE climo.Going to drink to winter's second half tonight. I hope you all join me.

Salute

I'm in a great mood this week. Think about it. We had snow and cold and the cover held. Waterways are frozen and it's cold. For the life of me I can't understand people worried about a warmup that occurs in every winter with the exception of 1993-94 when we had a 2 day hellaceious torch in the first 2 days of February and then back to the deep freeze. Most years we have periods of crapola. Remember the warm period after Boxing Day 2010? Remember Kevin pulling the shades down and covernig his eyes? And remember 2 weeks later (despite my own meltdown...lol). I've surprisingly thoroughly enjoyed the cold, the look of winter....and many folks around here really embracing it. Incidentally the OP GFS started hitting the warmup a couple of weeks ago. They get the prize for the sniff and hopefully are correct with the oncoming cold on the other side. For now, enjoy a few more days of winter like conditions. BOS was will be a bit below normal today...making all 4 days below with 2 much below. We will likely be close tomorrow and below again Sunday and Monday. Now I'm not thinking we avoid the torch...there's no doubt in my mind that we hit the 50s for a couple of days at least. So what? Big winter coming on the other side and I think we'll all be happy soon. I've learned that if you're only happy when you get the perfect snow event you're going to spend most of the winter sad since they are not that common. We get our totals from one or more big storms per season and plenty of 2-4/3-6/1-3 events. And a few 4-8 with changeover. That's SNE climo. Going to drink to winter's second half tonight. I hope you all join me.

:drunk: Sounds like a plan!  Let's just get through the next 10 days or so and see where things stand!

Maybe we hold the warmth off at times with a sfc boundary south of us or weak mixing days that give us highs only a bit above normal, but there is potential it could get semi ugly at times even for us. We don't have a huge snowpack and there isn't a lot of water content in it either. A cutter with a 12hr period of 50/50 and rain will do a number on it.

Right on cue the 18z GFS is close to a snow event here for 1/9-10.

I'm in a great mood this week. Think about it. We had snow and cold and the cover held. Waterways are frozen and it's cold. For the life of me I can't understand people worried about a warmup that occurs in every winter with the exception of 1993-94 when we had a 2 day hellaceious torch in the first 2 days of February and then back to the deep freeze. Most years we have periods of crapola. Remember the warm period after Boxing Day 2010? Remember Kevin pulling the shades down and covernig his eyes? And remember 2 weeks later (despite my own meltdown...lol). I've surprisingly thoroughly enjoyed the cold, the look of winter....and many folks around here really embracing it. Incidentally the OP GFS started hitting the warmup a couple of weeks ago. They get the prize for the sniff and hopefully are correct with the oncoming cold on the other side. For now, enjoy a few more days of winter like conditions. BOS was will be a bit below normal today...making all 4 days below with 2 much below. We will likely be close tomorrow and below again Sunday and Monday. Now I'm not thinking we avoid the torch...there's no doubt in my mind that we hit the 50s for a couple of days at least. So what? Big winter coming on the other side and I think we'll all be happy soon. I've learned that if you're only happy when you get the perfect snow event you're going to spend most of the winter sad since they are not that common. We get our totals from one or more big storms per season and plenty of 2-4/3-6/1-3 events. And a few 4-8 with changeover. That's SNE climo. Going to drink to winter's second half tonight. I hope you all join me.

Paragraphs much? ;)

Great post, feast or famine winter and oh so close to the NYC Metro ... the only frozen I run into walking through the park on my way home is a petrified dog turd every now and then.

I guess it makes up for 09-10 which was a dream down here but I don't think that way.  I'm already working on the fiancee to move to a snowier clime. 

L'chaim, Jerry!

It really has been a nice wintry 10 days or so...getting lost amongst the obsession over the warmup next week. I mentioned yesterday I was surprised to see the Charles River mostly frozen over while on the train into Boston. That's impressive considering how warm most of December was.

Indian Lake here is frozen though Quinsig still has a lot of work to do...its a deep and narrow lake. Whats been nice is the snow hanging on the bushes for so long. It has made it look very nice, especially with a lot of people still lightning up their christmas lights at night.

lol yep... everyone keeps focusing on this warm up while days of cold with snow cover and trees laden with snow pass by.  These are the days we look forward to all summer.  Might as well enjoy it!

Archived