• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Good riddance 2012. Rockin 2013? Obs and Banter

Bob Chill

Perhaps not but we keep optimistically shifting to two weeks out for our chance of something good. Fortunately we are out of time soon.

yeah...for me and you as you know we really have closer to 5 weeks to get something 3"+ at our longitude/latitude/elevation....after that it would take a rare fluke like 1993....Ji has longer now that he moved further west....I don't think there is that big of a gap between the winter cancelers and optimists...both groups realize they could be wrong....the contest thread has few outlandish guesses

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know you all are probably hurting right now. I feel for you there.

However in this region it snows wayyy more than we get something good tropical. I am a tropical weather weenie at heart and I always will be.

I love it so much, I am going to buy property in cape hatteras.

Every hurricane season I know there is a very very significant chance I don't see a gust over 40 from a tropical system. Half the time I can't even get a drop of tropical rainfall.

Even these past two years we had Irene and Sandy, but those were marginal at best in terms of real tropical systems (Locally). For our region I suppose they were "good".

The last storm that actually quenched my "tropical thurst" was Isabel. We are going to be paying for gosh knows how long before we get another Isabel. This saddens me.

I just want you all to know I know how you feel. It hurts worse to be in my shoes.

I promise you.

The rain just won't let up here. The ground in my neighborhood is a sponge, with standing water everywhere. My sump pump is getting a workout. I had almost 1.5" in my rain gage as of 4:30.

Probably a decent chance there's still frozen ground under the surface. That's probably not helping with all the heavy rain.

1.56" so far this evening with no end in sight...

Ground here is still frozen solid so all the water is running off into creeks and gullys.

Ended up with 3.96" in the bucket.  Lot's of localized flooding with trees starting to drop due to the winds and saturated soil.  Peak gust is 53mph at 5:15am but there have been two gusts over 50mph since then.  Temps down to 36.9F.  Interesting, the ground is still frozen 1/2" under the mushy top layer.  There is water ponding on grassy areas that I have never seen it do so before since it can't penetrate the ice layer.  Here's the MPE image for the last 24 hours:

post-109-0-68940400-1359635931_thumb.png

The title of this thread was misleading! When we said it would be a rocking 2013 we were thinking snow and a lot of it. I guess we have some time to make up for the low snow January, but maybe we should have been clear on what type of weather would be rockin' us! Warm and buckets o' rain, or cold and dry. Not really rockin' for me!

Just sayin'

OK - I have complained for the day! On to the Flizzard event!

(the statements do not represent people who, for some reason, were blessed with multiple moderate snow events, including part of the eastern shore and lower southern MD and the Higher elevations of the SW parts of VA. I, of course, complain about my own back yard!)

Archived