northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Good riddance 2012. Rockin 2013? Obs and Banter

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the precip is king over temps in Jan is about to literally get washed down the storm drain. 1.5"+ on 12z gfs for next week. Too bad it's going to be 20 degrees above freezing.

I don't agree with this. In the past month I've had one event that hasn't been all or partly frozen. That was the Monday night rain two weeks ago. The next night had some freezing rain. Other than that, any time there's been precip, it's been snow. Wait, there was a bit of rain with the cold front after the warmup. Put it this way, if we get precip from Dec 15 to Feb 15, 7 of 10 will be all or partly frozen. Just because we get a fluke rainer doesn't mean we are all of a sudden in a stormy pattern. Our problem is and has been a lack of storms.

0Z GFS is like deja vu hrs 132-168 next week what we just went through this week

Yep. First clipper has looked ok upstairs for a couple days. Surface panels are juicing up now. Let's hope the trends keep the vort below us. Too close to get overly interested yet. Lotsa changes due. Midweek rainer isn't close to being resolved yet.

I don't agree with this. In the past month I've had one event that hasn't been all or partly frozen. That was the Monday night rain two weeks ago. The next night had some freezing rain. Other than that, any time there's been precip, it's been snow. Wait, there was a bit of rain with the cold front after the warmup. Put it this way, if we get precip from Dec 15 to Feb 15, 7 of 10 will be all or partly frozen. Just because we get a fluke rainer doesn't mean we are all of a sudden in a stormy pattern. Our problem is and has been a lack of storms.

You're taking me too seriously. I posted in banter because the irony of the fact that the only high qpf storms are all rain and this one is on the heels of an anomalous cold snap. It comical among other things.

My friend frank looked back at his stats for where he lives in Waldorf since 1999 to see how many times we have had 4 days consecutive days when the temp didn't rise above 32.   For those thinkint this cold spell sucked.  It's been a pretty doggone good one. 

Days below freezing ( 32 and blow)                 Consecutive days below freezing
2013        4                                                                 4
2012        0                                                                  0
2011        2                                                                  2
2010        1
2009        3                                                                  3
2008        1
2007       3-4 Feb ice storm                                      3
2006        0
2005        6                                                                  3 and 2
2004        7                                                                  2
2003        4  3 in Jan  1 in Mar
2002        0
2001        1
2000        7                                                                  3
1999        3

3 consecutive days occurred 3 times, all days in Jan except as noted. Average per year around 2 days. Did not correlate whether it was snowing or snow on ground. So 4 hasnt happened for quite a while, longer than these records.

Nobody wants to talk about tomorrow morning?

I haven't looked at it much, but from what I've seen, isn't the precip stays west of the cities until mid-morning tomorrow, so maybe a brief period of freezing stuff?

Quite different for you as light precip comes in overnight.

Hmmm.  6z gfs says maybe I spoke too soon.

Yeah, I hear you.  I'm being a complete "2 hour delay" weenie right now.

I don't know that I can completely disagree. I get excited for the delays because it means an easier commute. 

I just can't get interested. Heavy rain and 60's looming in 72 hours leaves me completely uninterested in glaze on grass and trees for a couple hours before temps head well above freezing. 

Tis better to know whether there will be weather than what the weather will be? FWIW I'm looking toward the early side of mid-February.  But we shall see how it develops.

NAM says few hundreths at best... GFS still suggests .1 of FRZ RN Blue Ridge west on their respective 12z runs

SREFs are still saying that some frozen precip for central MD is likely (particularly in the shape of freezing rain) but I don't really see it, particularly because the surface temp looks to warm up quick enough, along with the mids threatening to almost immediately crush the slippery stuff before it even considers getting out of hand.

Cold drizzle seems about right for most.

Anyone else notice how high the RH was at the surface on Tuesday and Wed ahead of the front on the NAm soundings?   Those RH make trying to forecast the highs tough.  

I did. The NAM has been doing very weird things with moisture lately. I've using local METAR/Wx reports from areas in the OV/SE/MW prior to giving thought to any forecast in the mid/atl. Sometimes it helps just to see how everything is being handled. The 700s have been my friend lately, that's for darn sure.

Archived