joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 2012!

Wow

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tornado near Richmond, VA...First associated with the storms tonight...will it be the last?

Doubt it, one can see a complex about to enter N central NC, in addition to the TVS cells near the tidewater, sb cape close to 5500 j/kg here, shear and pw wats not so much, but anyone N of RDU should be on the lookout as the night goes on...

post-382-0-24676800-1341103992_thumb.png

Also note a boundary along the northern coastal plain. 95 here today officially at the airport, 105 @ RDU, makes sense.

Currently 90 with a heat index of 105 and dew point still at 79. Ready for round 2 tomorrow! This region is probably going to be even more active tomorrow than today because both the Carolinas and north Georgia are in a slight risk and there is a 30% area over parts of the area and another extremely hot day tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lmao: :lmao:

Current heat indices at this hour.

2ewma9g.jpg

CAE topped out at 109 again today, breaking the old record by 6 degrees and tieing the all time and highest June record set yesterday. ;)

Well, the old swing axiom says you will get a corresponding 6 degree negative record some winter in the next 10000 years, lol. and surely you didn't think all that snow you got was free? Hang in there :)

It's the nights that make the days unbearable. I'm still at 83 at 1am so the fan's just blowing hot air :) T

The humidity/dewpoint has really crept back up since sunset, I wonder if we'll even drop below the low 80s with it being so muggy outside and the scattered cloud cover outside.

Finally able to chime in but yeah it felt WORSE at 9pm last night than it did yesterday afternoon because of the increased humidity :arrowhead:

At any rate, some amazing past couple of days here like elsewhere, obviously. I had a high of 110.3 Friday..not surprisingly the hottest temp I've ever seen. Makes sense of course since Athens also set their all time record high Friday when they hit 109. Yesterday I hit a high of 108.7 and it could have been hotter if not for the good point by ffc that temps were held "down" due to the winds being out of the east, which was unexpected. I have to wonder how hot it would have made it if not for that. Unfortunately, when winds are out of the north, northeast, or east here it comes right off the field here around my house so it sure didn't feel any cooler.

I'm happy atlanta was able to set their all time record high. It would be absurd to have this kind of airmass/heat and them not set the record.

This morning is certainly starting off very warm. Only a low of 77 and dp is up to 70. I know that will mix out but how much. It took a while for DPs to mix out yesterday, they were in the low 60s here until about 3pm where they just dropped 4 or 5 degrees in an hour. Was Expecting highs today to get to 105/106 at least today However, there is quite a bit of mid level clouds around right now..in fact it's mostly cloudy at the moment. I would suspect much of this burns off but it could mean temps won't be quite that high. 101 to 103 would be a safer bet right now.

Nam is making for quite a bit of convection today and tomorrow, while gfs isn't today (but does tomorrow). I hope the nam is right because this type of heat (especially dry heat) has fried the ground and taken away any top layer soil moisture there was. To show the power of this type of heat, there has been a noticeable drop in the pond levels here just over the last few days. So rain sure would be welcomed.

Well, the old swing axiom says you will get a corresponding 6 degree negative record some winter in the next 10000 years, lol. and surely you didn't think all that snow you got was free? Hang in there :)

It's the nights that make the days unbearable. I'm still at 83 at 1am so the fan's just blowing hot air :) T

I thought all that snow fell to make up for the "hottest summer ever" experienced here these past few years :lol: Looking for a high of 106 today with a 20% chance of much needed rain.

Another story about the heat from the Asheville Citizen-Times. it includes a temp reading from Downtown 99.0° & Weaverville 101.0°

http://www.citizen-t...&nclick_check=1

It's terrible when you can't even go to the mountains to get much relief. I saw the observation site in highlands , which I've never noticed to have a warm bias (I check it virtually every day), hit 93 yesterday and they are at an elevation of 3900 feet. That's insane. Brasstown bald's observation site, here in ga, hit 95 with the station elevation at 3200+ feet. Again, I've never noticed them to have a warm bias. Even Mt Mitchell hit 79 yesterday. Just sickening numbers for the mountians.

I thought all that snow fell to make up for the "hottest summer ever" experienced here these past few years :lol: Looking for a high of 106 today with a 20% chance of much needed rain.

Hey Buckeye,...long time, no talking to me :whistle::(:P

I knew we would pay for the good winters we had...it never fails to be honest. We just have to hope this is the hottest period this summer. Unlike last year though, I have a sense this coming winter will be much better than last winer (although to be honest it wouldn't take much would it? lol). Last year, I think by even this time but certainly by Sept, I just knew winter would suck, which I posted about numerous times, and I was right. Hopefully I'm right this time too lol.

Despite the cloud cover this morning, it's already 90 degrees. Sort of surprises me given how cloudy it's been....but clouds are decreasing. Will be interesting to see how hot it gets with the morning clouds and higher DPs...which is 69 right now (although several sites around show dewpoints between 70 and 73)... so it's awfully muggy.

Folks,

Prior to this heatwave, the highest KATL 850 I was able to find (for 0Z and 12z) since 1950 was ~+24 C. It appears KATL had a new record high 850 somewhere within the +25-+26.5 C range..probably near +26 C. I'll confirm this highest 850 sometime next week when the updated 850 maps through 7/1 are made available.

Edit: KATL is running 1 F and KAHN 2 F hotter vs. 10 AM yesterday.

Edit #2: Vs 11 AM yestwerday, KATL same, KAHN 4 F warmer, Marietta 5 F warmer

Folks,

Prior to this heatwave, the highest KATL 850 I was able to find (for 0Z and 12z) since 1950 was ~+24 C. It appears KATL had a new record high 850 somewhere within the +25-+26.5 C range..probably near +26 C. I'll confirm this highest 850 sometime next week when the updated 850 maps through 7/1 are made available.

Edit; KATL is running 1 F and KAHN 2 F hotter vs. 10 AM yesterday.

:thumbsup: on the 850mb temps. As a climo genius, this has to be impressive to you.

Despite cloud cover this morning and higher dewpoints, temps are running higher at this time vs yesterday by a 2 to 4 degrees margin as you pointed out..which i find amazing. On the other hand, winds are not out of the east. As of 11am, Athens is 95 right now vs 91 at this time yesterday. Dewpoints are still running around 70 too.

It's now 96 here vs 91 also yesterday. So, so much for my guess it might be a few degrees lower than forecast :arrowhead: And check out the temps in the upstate, they are even hotter. Greer is already 99 and its only 11am :axe: It seems to be completely sunny there now per satellite.

It seems to be several degrees hotter in parts of nc vs yesterday too at this time.

ANDERSON	   MOSUNNY   96  66  37 NW5	   30.00R HX  99
CLEMSON		MOSUNNY   95  71  45 N3		30.02R HX 102
GREENVILLE	 SUNNY	 96  67  38 CALM	  30.02R HX 100
GREENWOOD	  MOSUNNY   97  70  41 VRB3	  30.00R HX 103
GREER		  SUNNY	 99  64  31 VRB5	  29.99S HX 101
ROCK HILL	  SUNNY	 97  73  45 VRB3	  29.99R HX 107

Makes me wonder if today will be hotter than yesterday, which wasn't expected. Ugh. At the least it will be just as hot unless the nam is right in making for some late afternoon convection.

What a miserable morning out there

Smithfield, Johnston County Airport

Lat: 35.54 Lon: -78.39 Elev: 164

Last Update on Jul 1, 10:55 am EDT

Fair

90 °F

(32 °C) Humidity: 71 % Wind Speed: S 3 MPH Barometer: 29.94" Dewpoint: 79 °F (26 °C) Heat Index: 106 °F (41 °C)

We have to run up to the North side of Raleigh in a few hours - hope we don't get stuck in that storm that's crossing over the VA mountains later on today.

What a miserable morning out there

Smithfield, Johnston County Airport

Lat: 35.54 Lon: -78.39 Elev: 164

Last Update on Jul 1, 10:55 am EDT

Fair

90 °F

(32 °C) Humidity: 71 % Wind Speed: S 3 MPH Barometer: 29.94" Dewpoint: 79 °F (26 °C) Heat Index: 106 °F (41 °C)

We have to run up to the North side of Raleigh in a few hours - hope we don't get stuck in that storm that's crossing over the VA mountains later on today.

Same here it feels way worse out there now than it has been the last 3 days temps in the low 90's DP hovering around 80 and humidity over 70% ugh.....the saving grace is I can almost promise that its gonna breakdown like a champ later with some epic storms in the making.

20 miles to my east at Warren Field the DP is actually going up from 77 to 81 in the last half hr, going to see some crazy HI fromthere as the temp goes up

They are currently 90/81/75.......

http://www.weather.g...story/KOCW.html

As of 12pm, Athens is already 102. It's currently 102.6 here...and 102 at virtually every site around these parts. Atlanta is up to 97, seems to be about on par as yesterday. They might go for 106 again.

For here, Compared to yesterday, it was somewhere around 97. If this trend continues, we'd be pushing 110 :axe: FFC has increased the high to 107 in athens/here for today vs 105 earlier. At least the DPs have dropped into the mid 60s. It's hit 100 in many places in the upstate but dps are still near 70 though with HI's around 107/108. Terrible.

When it's 102 before noon, you know it's going to be a bad day lol

Its already 102 at GSP...their all-time record is 106.

Looks like that record is going to be broken pretty easily at this rate.

Archived