joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 2012!

Wow

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Downtown Charleston at 89 degrees with the seabreeze is cooler than Boone, NC (90) up in the NC High Country.

The dewpoint at waterfront park likely in the upper 70's to near 80 however, would still result in a heat index roughly from 104 to 106. Mt Pleasant's current DP is 79.

4PM Wilmington, NC: 99/70 with heat index of 106. Two degrees above the forecast high; and two degrees below the record high for this date.

Based on the UNCW weather station a few blocks from my home (and more representative of Cape Fear in general being the ILM airport is in a swamp on the north side of town) we hovered in the 100-101F range most of the afternoon.

The most notable aspect of today's weather was that I saw not a single cloud in the sky all day, and there was no sea breeze; in fact, there was barely any wind at all (typically about 4mph with a westerly component.)

Definitely an odd day here on the cape but not a record breaker.

hard to believe its 90 in boone! also hard to believe its 101 here, 100 in clayton/rabun county, 103 in demorest and cleveland and 102 at tallula falls (and the list goes on). i have not seen widespread temps this high in the mtns of n and ne ga since 2003 (it wasnt that hot then, but thats when i came back to ga lol)

104 at my house according to my expensive weather station but Glenn Burns insists that the high in Carrollton today was only 100. We've been having an argument on facebook lol.

The "official" ob at Carrollton is the FAA AWOS which was 100 at 2015Z. Do you have a photo of your weather station? The stevenson screen (shelter), trees, buildings, etc... have a big impact on microclimate. The same questions need to be asked of the AWOS too as well as how often does the county maintain it. :)

5pm obs...

107 AHN *

105 CSG **

104 ATL *

* 1 degree shy of tying all-time record

** All-time record high at Columbus (unofficial)

If ATL is at 104 at 5pm then there's a solid chance that we tie the all time record today. Pretty impressive, and maybe tomorrow we have a shot at hitting 106. At least it's something to track!

Well, my main sensor topped at 99.9,, and has backed to 99.3, but my other two are reading 99.5, and 101 .4, and the Experiment Station has 102 so I guess Larry doen't have to saute his shorts :) Still, I've seen much worse down here in past droughts, maybe the dry heat, and the wind makes it seem much less onerous than heat blasts in the past around here. T

Wow, I didn't even realize that there was a 5-minute rule.

yes, the ASOS temp reading is a 5 minute average. I can't tell you how many times when I was at NAS Jax (NIP) that jet exhaust swirled near the sensor and you'd get a ridiculous spike that'd fall right back.

Still, 109 and Phoenix is still only 107. Absolutely amazing.

Nashville hit 109 between the hours and the sensor at BNA was hitting 110 occassionally but not for 5 minutes, so 109 if the official high right now. New all-time record achieved!

Impressive! How about the 113F at Symrna (KMQY).. is that legit or does that station read a little high?

Impressive! How about the 113F at Symrna (KMQY).. is that legit or does that station read a little high?

I received info back from the OHX office. The person that installed the ASOS there installed the temp sensor atop the equipment which results in readings 2-4 degree higher than what it's supposed to. 109-110 is likely the real high.

NOUS44 KMRX 292139

PNSMRX

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MORRISTOWN TN

540 PM EDT FRI JUN 29 2012

...ALL-TIME RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES TIED AT THE CHATTANOOGA AND

TRI-CITIES AIRPORTS...

...RECORD JUNE HIGH TEMPERATURES TIED AT KNOXVILLE AND OAK RIDGE...

AT THE CHATTANOOGA AIRPORT...THE TEMPERATURE ROSE TO 106 TODAY...

WHICH TIED THE ALL-TIME RECORD FOR CHATTANOOGA SET BACK ON JULY 28,

AT THE TRI-CITIES AIRPORT...THE TEMPERATURE ROSE TO 102 TODAY...

WHICH TIED THE ALL-TIME RECORD FOR TRI-CITIES SET BACK ON JULY 29,

AT THE KNOXVILLE AIRPORT...THE TEMPERATURE ROSE TO 102 TODAY...WHICH

IS A DAILY RECORD. IT ALSO TIED THE RECORD FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE...

WHICH WAS INITIALLY SET ON JUNE 18, 1944.

AT OAK RIDGE...THE TEMPERATURE ROSE TO 104 TODAY...WHICH IS A DAILY

RECORD. IT ALSO BROKE THE RECORD FOR THE MONTH OF JUNE...WHICH WAS

SET BACK ON JUNE 27, 1954 AND JUNE 24, 1988.

This will likely be the measuring stick against heat waves to happen around here for possibly decades.

I hope so. Not to open a can of worms, but it seems extreme heat waves are becoming almost routine, every summer out-performing some recent memory. :yikes:

BTW, the MCS in WV is hauling buggy and looking interesting.

Archived