SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
HEAT WAVE 2012!

Wow

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night's QLCS fell apart as a strong gust front blasted through, but the organized QLCS couldn't reorganize. I saved that portion of the storms from radar to show the erosion of the line as it approached. I've never seen this happen in this fashion.

post-1324-0-91526900-1341241379_thumb.gi

wow what a night - had storm after storm. major lightning and thunder, vivid cloud to ground winds. quite impressive but no sleep. 1.55" of rain

URRRGGGGHHHH :axe: I hate you damn it lol

I figured your general vicinity did very well when I last looked at the radar around 11:45, was wondering how much you got.

BTW, was the lighting red where you were? Right before I went to bed, I saw probably the reddest lightning I've ever seen to the north with those storms. It really looked strange to see so much color.

I never heard it but on a side note, I was told it hailed a little while last night. Now this did wake me up....we Also had a very close lighting strike..close enough to knock out the power again for 5 or 10 seconds. It's rare for lighting to do that hear since we have quite a few transformers close by, including one in my yard. So it had to be really close.

No where near as hot as previous days so far...only 84. DPs are pretty hight though...around 71.

I got stuck out on a boat at Lake Murray in last night's lightening storms. Drunk kids were swimming out in it too. Crazy people.

Anyway, probably got close to half an Inch around here if not more and tons of hail, some even golfball in size. Made the boatride home quite cold from 100+ degrees.

1.54" in Weaverville last night with some moderate wind but, very vivid lightning & explosive thunder were the big story! How are you liking this Mnt. heat Jason?

The older I get the less it bothers me. Broke our above 90 streak yesterday. It looks like we will stay right around 90 for a while though.

Apparently the heat is off...."only" got up to 92 here today. Now we really need to have some storms "on". I actually have places in the yard where the grass is literally burnt.

Only got to 93 here yesterday. Way off of the 101 to 103 I thought I might get to. It was apparent it wasn't going to be nearly as hot (besides the temps) by later in the morning when there was still plenty of clouds. Honestly, I should have known it would take so long to lose the t-storm remnant cloud cover that it wouldn't get so hot.

But I sure as hell am not complaining. It was amazing how 93 felt very mild...more like low to mid 80s or something.

No surprise we didn't see any storms though. As I said, when those widespread storm remnants die at the time they did, it's just really hard to get any redevelopment so much of the time (short of some front, shortwave, etc). Usually takes a full day for the atmosphere to recover so I expect storms to fire up today.

Only got to 93 here yesterday. Way off of the 101 to 103 I thought I might get to. It was apparent it wasn't going to be nearly as hot (besides the temps) by later in the morning when there was still plenty of clouds. Honestly, I should have known it would take so long to lose the t-storm remnant cloud cover that it wouldn't get so hot.

But I sure as hell am not complaining. It was amazing how 93 felt very mild...more like low to mid 80s or something.

No surprise we didn't see any storms though. As I said, when those widespread storm remnants die at the time they did, it's just really hard to get any redevelopment so much of the time (short of some front, shortwave, etc). Usually takes a full day for the atmosphere to recover so I expect storms to fire up today.

Hope you are right. I'm on 21 days without rain, 19 days using the well to grow the garden, and I hate to use the well that much. Of course, all developing storms the last 3 weeks have shown a remarkable ability to avoid me :) At least it has cool way down, with 78 at 9:30. T

Hope you are right. I'm on 21 days without rain, 19 days using the well to grow the garden, and I hate to use the well that much. Of course, all developing storms the last 3 weeks have shown a remarkable ability to avoid me :) At least it has cool way down, with 78 at 9:30. T

I know what you mean. The only rain I've had in weeks is that tenth of an inch the other day which dried up in probably an hour lol. I'm desperate for rain as I've been in a real tough spot in the rain department all year essentially and the extreme heat just sucked any remaining moisture out of the ground.

Not saying we will see anything widespread (both ffc/gsp is forecasting 30% pops today) But I do think we will see some isolated to scattered storms today. I've had full sunshine (like most and unlike yesterday) and It's already 92 here with a DP of 72. It's a lot muggier. It felt hotter at 9:30 this morning than at any point yesterday. Looks like upper 90s or near 100 is a good bit today here.

edit..already seeing some cumulus develop, which I haven't seen form at this time of day (or any time of day for that matter) in a long time. Hopefully a good sign but after reading gsp's update, you'll have to be under one when it forms or you are essentially screwed because of the weak steering flow/winds aloft.

The reanalysis maps have now been released for the 2012 heatwave. Prior to this heatwave, the highest 850 (0Z, 12Z)

going back to 1948 that I could find at KATL was ~+24.0 C, set 7/12-13/1980 and 8/9-10/2007. The 2012 heatwave did, indeed, set a new alltime record high 850 at KATL of ~+24.5 C, which was reached three times: 12Z of 6/29, 0Z of 6/30, and 12Z of 6/20.

In retrospect and not surprising considering its solid warm bias in these types of setups, the warmest Euro runs, with +29 C at KATL for the hottest, were way too warm. Even the GFS was somewhat too warm.

Prior to 2012, there had not even been one year with three 100+'s at KATL by 7/5 since records started in 1879! 2012 had four!

# of 100+'s as of 7/5 at KATL since 1879:

4: 2012

2: 1954, 1952, 1936, 1914

1: 1944, 1943, 1931, 1925

- So, prior to 2012 KATL hadn't even had ONE 100+ day this early since 1954!!! That makes 2012 truly amazing! Then again, we already knew that 2012 was special since it set the new record high 850 of +24.5 C (based on reanalysis going back to ~1950), replacing the previous high of +24 C.

- Prior to 2012, all of the years with 100+ by 7/5 at KATL were within 1914-54, a rather narrow range of 41 years of the 133 year long record!!

• 4 weeks later...

I finished a big Case Study of the heat wave that hit late June/early July and put it in the "public" section (free) as well as in the temperature menu (heat waves). It's very extensive and has a lot of graphics, chances are some of the graphics you haven't seen yet. I also put a huge list together of every city that hit records in the Southeast with date/temp. It was a fun study and hopefully the weather geeks enjoy the write-up. Lots of cities set all time records, and I go into comparisons on which models did best, etc. Besides trying to stay ahead of the active pattern, I'm also putting Old Winter Storms in there and have a lot of those lined up to cover just as soon as I can. Check it out.

Robert

So any good winters during that narrow band of 41 years with a little weak or mod. el nino?

Prior to 2012, there had not even been one year with three 100+'s at KATL by 7/5 since records started in 1879! 2012 had four!

# of 100+'s as of 7/5 at KATL since 1879:

4: 2012

2: 1954, 1952, 1936, 1914

1: 1944, 1943, 1931, 1925

- So, prior to 2012 KATL hadn't even had ONE 100+ day this early since 1954!!! That makes 2012 truly amazing! Then again, we already knew that 2012 was special since it set the new record high 850 of +24.5 C (based on reanalysis going back to ~1950), replacing the previous high of +24 C.

- Prior to 2012, all of the years with 100+ by 7/5 at KATL were within 1914-54, a rather narrow range of 41 years of the 133 year long record!!

Archived