joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 2012!

Wow

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It got up to 101 here today...am watching with much interest what is going on back in Kentucky. Some wicked looking cells in Eastern KY forming out ahead of the main line.

I don't want to say it but that looks like it could end up ripping through Virginia late tonight if it comes together. They don't need that.

Massive outflow boundary dropping due south in Southeast Kentucky allowing storms to quickly develop west. We may have decent line forming and moving towards Northeast Tennessee and SW Virginia in the next 60-90 minutes.

JKL_loop.gif

That looks a lot like last nights derecho event over VA. Any obs from this?

I'm seeing several 50+ mph wind reports and downed trees in Eastern Kentucky that are a couple hours old. Nothing in the past hour...in the past I've seen several Mesoscale Events that seem to re-intensify once they down around the Tri-Cities TN/VA...it will be something to keep an eye on.

2 inches of rain last night!!

1.54" in Weaverville last night with some moderate wind but, very vivid lightning & explosive thunder were the big story! How are you liking this Mnt. heat Jason?

Picked up .92 myself. It should be nice and muggy later this morning once the sun appears.

Not looking forward to the warm up today.

Hit 109.3 yesterday. One did read 109.6 but an average will give 109 but just barely. Athens hit 108 yesterday...which of course would have broken their old all time record if it had not been broken friday (109 if anyone missed it).

After dewpoints had mixed out yesterday afternoon, when it was 108/109 the wind was blowing around 10 to 15mph at one point and it was just surreal how hot it felt. Glad to see gsp break their all time record high too. Again if you are going to see this type of absurd heat, you might as well make it all time record setting.

After another record shattering day of heat, only picked up 0.10 last night while seemingly everyone north, south, and east of here picked up more or much more. Figures. And to add salt to the wound was I lost power for around 2 hours yesterday from 5 to 7pm after strong outflow winds from storms to the south. Although the winds weren't super impressive, maybe gusting into the 30s (despite the storms being quite a long ways away though which i guess is impressive), it knocked over at least 2 trees on my road but one hit a poll/transformer, which then set fire to my great uncles field. The only saving grace is that outflow knocked temps down into the upper 80s...which felt like upper 60s after so much heat..seriously.

Good news is I don't see it getting nearly as hot as yesterday with so much cloud cover this morning but then again i said that Sunday and looked what happened lol. FFC is still forecasting 104 for athens and gsp agrees for elbert county next door. The clouds are thinning but still a ways to go. I'd say 101 to 103 but we'll see.

Bad news is, normally when storms/rain shields die so early you don't see anything that day unless there is some sort of real trigger and there aren't many around In Ga unless you are near an outflow boundary..which I'm not.

I'll leave this thread up for the rest of the day given the heat advisories still in effect. If clouds break soon enough and it gets to 100 or higher, I'd imagine the humidity will be terrible.

If the WRF-NMM has it right, it will not be nearly as bad today due to the atmosphere getting 'turned upside down' in Western North Carolina i the storms that lasted all night long.

I have noticed the last few days that solutions between the WRF-NMM, WRF-ARW and the Expiremental HRRR have been very different in picking up on the rapid development of storms in various places during this heat wave (including the Derecho on Friday).

Temperatures forecast at 20Z Monday (300pm) right before additional storms could break out in Western NC

post-581-0-54477100-1341230986_thumb.gif

Sadly, we got zilch rain in most of Harnett County. A promising storm cell looked like it got cannibalized by the activity 30 miles south in Fayetteville.

On the bright side, the crops here just look a little wilty, not beaten to shred like some fields in Sampson, Bladen and Robeson. Gonna be interesting in learning what these storms did down there.

Archived