joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
HEAT WAVE 2012!

Wow

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main remote is reading 100.9, the two others are at 102.2, and 102.3, and the Experiment Station is reading 103.3. I guess i"m safe it assuming I'm over 100 in mby, but not terribly so. I've seen a lot hotter down here over 30 years. What kills you is if it goes on and on like this, with no wind, and no rain. A week of 100+ will have you knawing off your leg :) Especially if it is in the mid to upper 80's all night, lol. I hate this rabies weather, but it is an interesting weather phenomena. T

KCHS backed off to 96. There's a pocket of strato-cu now over the area, plus along with unfavorable wind trajectories, better soil moisture, higher humidity, and less mixing, the full potential of the heat wave will not be realized here, albeit still extremely hot.

Kudos on the forecast...I was probably your biggest critic on that prediction, have never seen Asheville Regional go as high as it did yesterday.

As far as today goes, clouds burned off much faster, I'm currently sitting at 95.

Thanks. So far today, AVL is up to 98. It is possible it was higher during an off-hour observation. Will have to wait and see on that one. Either way, broke today's record by at least 3 degrees!

Only 85 on the battery in Downtown Charleston

Combination of the thermal low in GA along with diurnal seabreeze circulations, a dynamic thing.

one thing I can clearly say it is, without a NW flow at the surface, KCHS will not break records for heat.

I think 98 was the highest I've seen today, falling shy of the daily 100 record.

105 at RDU. Surely we can muster 1 more!

By the way, this heat is just stoopid.

Chilling @ 95F per PGV 4:15 ob, 96.3 in the thermo about 20' up in the maple out back. MCC last night was strong enough to displace the ridge slightly south, absent that, RDU would have been 107 today, but given it, all time records are displaced over GA/SC, rather than NC. I am interested to see the in between, or after the 3:51 ob, did the airport hit 106? In general, yesterday was hotter per the reporting stations in central and eastern NC, RDU still smokes on the tarmac, why not stick the AWOS in the woods by the airport compared to next to the runway. I see 105.1 as of 1551, doubtful they got there, but still a daily record, congrats to all those baking today, enjoy!

Interesting. The temp under my tag, says 104, so I guess I linked it to Kffc, because here the temp has backed down a bit, with the Experiment station having a high of 103.2 and now down to 102.9, while I have two remotes now at 100.9, and the always hot one at 103.4. My guess is I've topped out around 102 in mby. Atl. can have the record...I'm happy for the airport, but as always, it was hotter in some parts of the area, and cooler in others :) T

I'm happy to say I have been apart of the hottest day ever in Atlanta. Super happy right now!

Justin, you are either safe inside enjoying the air conditioning, or outside suffering thermal brain decay, lol. When I was in grammer school, and high school in Atl. we didn't have air conditioning, and only had a fan, if a teacher brought her own. Ocassionally we had students start acting like you are now.. After they took them away, we usually never heard from them again, lol. Tony

Justin, you are either safe inside enjoying the air conditioning, or outside suffering thermal brain decay, lol. When I was in grammer school, and high school in Atl. we didn't have air conditioning, and only had a fan, if a teacher brought her own. Ocassionally we had students start acting like you are now.. After they took them away, we usually never heard from them again, lol. Tony

I know what you mean but what you typed says you weren't there.

Whoops. :D You guys knew what I meant. Tony you are hilarious man.

I think it's pretty interesting that yesterday was actually hotter at my house. According to my station, it was .4o warmer yesterday.

Ok so @ 5:44 pm my pws hit 111.3°. I know this is not a true reading. It is in my back yard about 25ft from my house with grass underneath it & 3 trees within 6-8 ft from it. It does get sunlight. Any educated guesses on a practical temp.?

7:05 Edit: Checked the closest pws which is a vantage vue & the high temp was 102.3°. We have gone cloudy now (past half hour) as some storms are rolling in from west to east towards us. Current temp is 103.2°

Grrr. It's OK for this to break my temp gauge, but it's not allowed to break NWS ... I'm getting this when I try to access FFC's AFD:

Array ( [0] => Could not connect to host server: mysqlread.md.nids.noaa.gov Can't connect to MySQL server on 'mysqlread.md.nids.noaa.gov' (4) )

Totally unofficial 8' off the ground, 4' out from the deck, 10' from the trees, full-sun measurement was 105F around 5pm-ish, so 1 degree less than the following graphic. It's now saying 101F outside with the sun starting to get broken up by the treeline.

Here's what the FFC homepage had a little while ago:

NWS_KFFC_20120630_1800E.gif

Ok so @ 5:44 pm my pws hit 111.3°. I know this is not a true reading. It is in my back yard about 25ft from my house with grass underneath it & 3 trees within 6-8 ft from it. It does get sunlight. Any educated guesses on a practical temp.?

I had 95.1 IMBY here near Mt. Pisgah in the Hominy Valley (fan-aspirated shield). The best the airport could do was 98, so somewhere between those numbers seems reasonable.

Archived